Center console swap a PW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When i was thinking about doing this a few years ago, my initial thoughts were to just remove the entire side/section of the council that was in the way of the shifter, so I could just reach under and still grab it. Figured some type of “patching” would be needed to make it look decent.

I wonder if bending the shifter over to the side a ways would cause any issue with actually moving it back and forth? Like, would it want to start “unscrewing” it from the base, rather than moving it?

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
When i was thinking about doing this a few years ago, my initial thoughts were to just remove the entire side/section of the council that was in the way of the shifter, so I could just reach under and still grab it. Figured some type of “patching” would be needed to make it look decent.

I wonder if bending the shifter over to the side a ways would cause any issue with actually moving it back and forth? Like, would it want to start “unscrewing” it from the base, rather than moving it?
That’s what I was thinking. If console sat over the shifter and remove the one big cubby and set it back in when not using shifter. But I don’t have a console or a floor shifter so might still not work.

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The levers post sits about an inch and a half Into the electronic portion of the transfer case and then has a tab with a bolt to secure it. It won’t unbolt or unscrew from the movement I don’t believe. When you unbolt the lever it just slips out of the hole8DC8E39E-AB10-4B86-B60E-433FF204EE30.jpeg

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The levers post sits about an inch and a half Into the electronic portion of the transfer case and then has a tab with a bolt to secure it. It won’t unbolt or unscrew from the movement I don’t believe. When you unbolt the lever it just slips out of the holeView attachment 184155

Gotchya. I think the next thing I would do is mimic a lever that you are going to make out of the original and see how it actually functions (without the council in place). Then, if that is a success then move forward making a slot in the council for the shaft (that just might be a bit tedious!).

Cant wait to see more progress!

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotchya. I think the next thing I would do is mimic a lever that you are going to make out of the original and see how it actually functions (without the council in place). Then, if that is a success then move forward making a slot in the council for the shaft (that just might be a bit tedious!).

Cant wait to see more progress!
Correct! That is the plan. I will show you guys the whole process!

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FA90C989-CC7B-40E9-A845-C37AFCA3A096.png Levers out of the 1998-2001 models look like they have a double 90 that is at least closer to what I need to make then what the stock one is.

Figure it will be easier to manipulate these than the stock one. I will let you know how I make out.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Someone did this recently and just gave the handle an S bend and it came out of the pocket on the left side of the console.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
View attachment 182872 so begins my journey with a new center console. I loved the bench to be honest and it was a sticking point in buying the truck but i wanted to try the center console out for a while.

I love the way it looks. I have to install the front trim panels and then fab out the transfer case arm to come through it and then ill be done. It really shouldn't be that difficult. Here are the pics. Console is from a 2017 1500. Now that I've done the UAQ upgrade for apple car play and now i have the console it feels like a new truck. Couldn't be happier.

View attachment 182873

View attachment 182874

View attachment 182875

View attachment 182876

What cb and mic is that. 10 meter?

The Blue Mule

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Someone did this recently and just gave the handle an S bend and it came out of the pocket on the left side of the console.
That’s what I plan on doing. Ordered another lever though so I can keep my stock one. Would like to see a link for more info on this if you have it?

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What cb and mic is that. 10 meter?

The Blue Mule
Its the Feniex typhoon. Its a pa and siren system. I also use it to control some lights. I have a GMRS I will install again once I have the console set. I’ve been hesitant to go through the wiring until I have this installed the right way.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Its the Feniex typhoon. Its a pa and siren system. I also use it to control some lights. I have a GMRS I will install again once I have the console set. I’ve been hesitant to go through the wiring until I have this installed the right way.

I really like that mic it wouldn’t be a 4 pin would it? It’d look great with my General Lee cb radio.

The Blue Mule

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really like that mic it wouldn’t be a 4 pin would it? It’d look great with my General Lee cb radio.

The Blue Mule
Ah! Nice setup you have. He one thing I don’t like about this unit is that the mic is hard wired

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lever from a 2017 compared to a lever from a 1999 truck. The 99 model is much closer to what I need in terms of shape so it will be an easier starting point. Cant wait to see how this works. I will need to break the weld on the tab and re-weld it higher up the shaft so it sits in the hole deeper. All and all I’m encouraged by this. Also I bought two levers incase i messed the first one up

E35AC1E9-734F-48C2-AA8D-F0D52BE8CAC6.jpeg

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
You get it done and working right. Email fca and tell them implement it on pw’s. And you want some kick backs :driver:

OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You get it done and working right. Email fca and tell them implement it on pw’s. And you want some kick backs :driver:

would be pretty awesome if they took notice. Also the tab in my original lever is all jammed up from my 2.5 yr old son who stuck it in my rear wheel without me knowing and I drove off with it like that. Lol it made a pretty bad noise.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I know you have a plan and I believe it will work but could you not just relocate the switch since it is not connected to any linkage?

also glad to see you are teaching your son early.
I’m a gearhead, an athlete, and a hunter, and I have three boys. My hope is that each one of my boys is at least interested one of the three hobbies that I am into.

Last edited:
OP
OP
56PW17

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know you have a plan and I believe it will work but could you not just relocate the switch since it is not connected to any linkage?

also glad to see you are teaching your son early.
I’m a gearhead, an athlete, and a hunter, and I have three boys. my hope is that they each one of my boys at least is interested one of the three hobbies that I am into.

I asked myself the same question about the switch and I am not comfortable messing with the electronics enough to attempt that on my own. I do think that is a very simple solution though.

as for my boy he is my 2nd of 4. Loves to bash things with a hammer and play with “motors” lol couldn't be happier but I’d love him either way lol! How old are your’s?