Ceramic Coating lifespan

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Todd C, Jul 15, 2019.

1. jeffawats

jeffawats Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    Mom's 19 ux 250h prior to coating sweet looking ride

2. mjf6175

mjf6175 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    cummins
    Full Disclosure....I am an old guy and have a severe case of OCD ( I make Felix Unger look like Oscar ) and have for years used waxes and sealants, many kinds and various brands through the years. But because my 2017 Ram 2500 (with a lift) cannot fit in my garage I decided to ceramic coat it. Having worked in my uncle's garage during high school and college i am pretty handy automotive wise, so I did my Ram myself. It was 2 months old when I did it. Power washed-then hand wash-then clay barred-followed by polishing using an orbital and Sonax Profiline Perfect Finish 4/6. Took me 2.5 days. Used GTechniq Crystal Light Serum with their EXO topcoat added. Came out amazing. 2 years have pasted and it still shines great, water beads off easily, and wash with a foam cannon. I was so impressed with the GTechniq that I just did my recent car purchase within days of getting it as well, doing all the very same steps. Some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ETX Ram and Mpgrimm2 like this.
  3. Juniorss

Juniorss Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I know I am probably in the minority but I feel like "ceramic" coating is a lot of hype. While I know it does work, I think people believe it is a miracle product. I remember when it was first becoming popular there was a video of someone taking a key to a car and the key marks wiping right off. Also the ceramic coating itself isn't that much money, it's the paint correction that really costs the money. In my opinion a decent sealant goes a long way and I also "top" it with spray wax while drying the car off which also acts as a drying aide. I haven't sealed my truck since I bought and I am going on 3 1/2 years. I do have to do some correction in the fall and I will probably reseal it then. I will say I do have a bottle of "ceramic" coating (Cquartz UK) in my garage that I got on a 25% off sale at Autogeek which I am going to apply to the Gf's Audi and see how it does. Maybe it will change my mind but I doubt it. Both my car and truck bead water like crazy all the time with no sort of ceramic coating

IMG_3965.JPG

IMG_6347.JPG
    IMG_4950.JPG
    IMG_8542.JPG

ETX Ram likes this.
  4. Pull Ya

Pull Ya U.S. MARINE VETERAN Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    One of the things that is attractive to people is the longevity of ceramic coatings. While I believe they do protect better than waxes and sealants, they are not a "silver bullet" You still have to maintain the the paint with regular washing. It may be easier and fewer things might stick to the surface, but it still needs to be maintained. Even with a ceramic coat you can still scratch the surface if you run your truck through the tunnels of destruction(car washes with shrilling brushes)or hand wash and dry it improperly. Some people don't use ceramic coatings because they like to wash and wax/seal their vehicle. Garage time is important to them and they have the facilities and are physically able to hand wash and wax their vehicle. To each their own----
    Jay

Hemi395, Juniorss and ETX Ram like this.