Champ PH48 oil filter cut open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just did an oil change on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic 5.7L hemi. @ ~25500mi This Champ PH48 oil filter was in use for 5000 miles along with Supertech synthetic 5w30 and a bottle of Lubeguard biotech. I know we've talked about it a lot here, but good grief that oil filter placement is not fun on 5.7L powered Ram 1500s. I've tried bags, rags, etc. I make a mess every time.

To me it doesn't look bad for a ~$3 filter. There is some uneven pleat spacing right around where the media is crimped/glued together. I can't find any rips or tears in the media and can't easily pull the fiber end caps or media apart without totally mangling it. I'd use this filter again.

Zw8YMdkl.jpg

PQbQ2qol.jpg

bUCWes1l.jpg

TJC2jqCl.jpg

QBig29Kl.jpg

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
But-but-but we keep being told here by so many the ONLY the most expensive filters and oil are acceptable. Anything else is just catastrophic failure in the immediate future. :crazy:

OP
OP
PoMansRam

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
A $2-3 dollar filter vs a $10 filter isn't really an issue for me, it's just that I hate paying for an ~$8 Napa gold or carquest filter when I don't believe they're anything better than these (lately). All I've got in town is a Napa or carquest and I really don't care to deal with either. They act like their stuff is gold.

Given I mail ordered a case of these Champ PH48's some time back, I've got enough for 10 more oil changes.

So on went another PH48 and in went Supertech 5w30 synth and gasp... a 10oz bottle of Liqui Moly MoS2. I've got 4 more bottles of MoS2 left and 4 bottles of Lubeguard biotech. I alternate them between oil changes. I figure once they're gone, they're gone.

aimvee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A $2-3 dollar filter vs a $10 filter isn't really an issue for me, it's just that I hate paying for an ~$8 Napa gold or carquest filter when I don't believe they're anything better than these (lately). All I've got in town is a Napa or carquest and I really don't care to deal with either. They act like their stuff is gold.

Given I mail ordered a case of these Champ PH48's some time back, I've got enough for 10 more oil changes.

So on went another PH48 and in went Supertech 5w30 synth and gasp... a 10oz bottle of Liqui Moly MoS2. I've got 4 more bottles of MoS2 left and 4 bottles of Lubeguard biotech. I alternate them between oil changes. I figure once they're gone, they're gone.
I agree with the filter. But I personally would not be adding anything to the oil..
Honestly, that's asking for trouble..
Not to mention, IF you had an issue and the dealer found out... Bye bye warranty [emoji17]

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the lubguard stuff? I did a goggle search and stumbled into this

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/lubegard-bio-tech-engine-oil-protectant-voa.185752/page-3

Why are you using an oil additive ?
Where have you been? There are dozens of threads and probably hundreds of posts on Lubeguard and other similar additives over the last year or so. It's the poor mans Redline. Without some type of extra Moly(whether it be from a high Moly oil or a Moly additive)most Hemi's will eat a lifter and maybe a cam lobe too somewhere between 100K -150K guaranteed.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did an oil change on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic 5.7L hemi. @ ~25500mi This Champ PH48 oil filter was in use for 5000 miles along with Supertech synthetic 5w30 and a bottle of Lubeguard biotech. I know we've talked about it a lot here, but good grief that oil filter placement is not fun on 5.7L powered Ram 1500s. I've tried bags, rags, etc. I make a mess every time.

To me it doesn't look bad for a ~$3 filter. There is some uneven pleat spacing right around where the media is crimped/glued together. I can't find any rips or tears in the media and can't easily pull the fiber end caps or media apart without totally mangling it. I'd use this filter again.

Zw8YMdkl.jpg

PQbQ2qol.jpg

bUCWes1l.jpg

TJC2jqCl.jpg

QBig29Kl.jpg
Looks pretty close to an orange can Fram filter to me. Are those cardboard end caps?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where have you been? There are dozens of threads and probably hundreds of posts on Lubeguard and other similar additives over the last year or so. It's the poor mans Redline. Without some type of extra Moly(whether it be from a high Moly oil or a Moly additive)most Hemi's will eat a lifter and maybe a cam lobe too somewhere between 100K -150K guaranteed.
Damn. Not reading the oil threads obviously :). But I'll stick to my Mopar filters with Castrol 5w30 and pretend I didn't read your post. I'm not into the oil threads and people opinions on the subject that's why I don't post in oil threads for the most part. I was just curious about the lube thing lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PoMansRam

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
PoMansRam,
Missing the filter change on your previous RAM are ya? ;)

For sure on that. You could change the oil / filter in a pentastar Ram with your good clothes on and not get a drop on ya.

Looks pretty close to an orange can Fram filter to me. Are those cardboard end caps?

The end caps look and feel similar to the pleat material. They're bonded solidly. You'd tear the whole thing apart trying to separate the end caps from the media.

This style filter has the combo valve, which probably has been talked about here, but all that means is the anti-drain back valve is also used as the media bypass. Basically if the pressure between the can and the media gets too high, it shoves the rubber out of the way, uncovering that smaller, inner set of holes on the underside of the base plate, thus bypassing the media.

Low cost filter for sure. Ideal for the 5000 mile oil change using low cost oil.

OP
OP
PoMansRam

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I bought Napa Platinums on sale for $3-4 each.

I never get that kind of deal at my local Napa. Last time I was there, there were supposedly having a "big filter sale". When I inquired about it with the counter guy I've dealt with for years, his response was "Oooo.. Yeah... That's mostly for our commercial accounts, where they buy filters in bulk from us". C'mon man I said. It doesn't say that anywhere in the ad. Best he would do was give me one napa gold at half price given I was already buying two of them. Like an idiot I went for the deal. They're alright for parts when you need them and they're OK when the Napa synthetic oil is on sale. That's about it.

rhenry1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Express
Engine
5.7 Liter Hemi
As far as the mess goes, I bought a plastic bed pan and it fits right on top of the electric steering and have had no oil change messes since. I experimented with zip-lock bags and at one time cut out a washer fluid bottle. The bed pan has a large enough sump to catch oil and will hold the oil filter, this can be found at most medical supply stores.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Zw8YMdkl.jpg

PQbQ2qol.jpg

bUCWes1l.jpg

TJC2jqCl.jpg

QBig29Kl.jpg

Why are you using 5-W-30 oil, when Ram specifies 5-W-20 viscosity?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I never get that kind of deal at my local Napa. Last time I was there, there were supposedly having a "big filter sale". When I inquired about it with the counter guy I've dealt with for years, his response was "Oooo.. Yeah... That's mostly for our commercial accounts, where they buy filters in bulk from us". C'mon man I said. It doesn't say that anywhere in the ad. Best he would do was give me one napa gold at half price given I was already buying two of them. Like an idiot I went for the deal. They're alright for parts when you need them and they're OK when the Napa synthetic oil is on sale. That's about it.

Yeah, I actually just stumbled upon the sale - I was told usually their filter sale is for platinums not the other models.
I can't complain about the filter so far, had to have them shipped from several stores since it didn't seem as if many stores stocked the shorty platinum filter.
I should have bought the bigger platinum filter though or rather also.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I can say you get what you pay for a $3 filter for a $40,000 truck, Is that what Enterprise uses, E Gads you will be going for a complete engine rebuild at what about 40,000 miles.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
PMR. Thanks for taking the time to cut that apart and post pictures. While I don't personally share your viewpoint on oil and filter selection, I find this stuff very interesting. Thanks agsin. :waytogo:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01