Change Spark Pugs at 70,000 Vs recommended 100,000 Miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just did mine last nite, have owned my truck for a month. has 93800 miles. 4.7 engine. 16 plugs. Biggest PITA to get to was #7 lower by the exh manifold.
I put NGK iridium in the intake side, Champion iridium in the lower side. They ahve bene done before, I have no idea when but they definitely looked like they needed it.
Some dumbazz used BOSCH Supers (copper) in the top and BOSCH Iridium in the lowers. I know this wasn't OE. the BOSCH Supers were our "standing special" back in the 90s when I worked the counter at Auto zone. they were our cheapest at like 79cents per. and didn't last for $#it then. thyey were SHOT though they were burning a nice tan. On the lower set #1, #7 and #8 were a little oily and glazed looking. the rest had nice color.
I used NGK Iridium in the top side and Champion Iridiums in the bottom side. Its the only combo I could get at Rock Auto that I didnt have to pay shipping from 2 locations.
Also bought DENSO wires and plug boots, those were still original to the truck.
The biggest PITA of the whole job? #4 and #6 the coil boots stayed on the plugs in the hole/ Tried grabbing them with needle nose and tore them. I spent a whole hour and a half digging and picking those out piece by piece until I could get the socket on them. Every time I grabbed another section with needle nose they ripped apart again. I wound up splitting #4 with a narrow screwdriver before I got it out and #6 being somewhat under the cowl and harder to see, I ended up digging that one out, barely being able to see what I was doing, with a 90* angled dental pick type thing.... Most of the lower ones cracked loose "hard" and only started getting easier to unthread after 1-1/2 to 2 turns out.
I anti seized every thread on the plugs and the coil hold down bolts and used plenty of dielectric grease on all the boots so I dont have any problem next time. I'm glad I had bought the coil boots, at least ahead of time, too. today Im changing the serpentine belt and tensioner and I'm gonna consider that done til I change oil for the 1st time. (the stealership had just done so like 10 miles before I drove it off the lot) at that point I already have my rear end lube and cover gasket for the rear end. Im gonna change that and get the trans filter and gasket to swap at the same time. Problem there, is that every parts listing says I should have 545 RFE, build sheet I have says I have 65RFE. same filter and gasket?