Changing a connecting rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulSwany

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've gotta change the connecting rod on #8. It's press on, so I'm thinking I can just heat the rod a little and make a fixture for my press. Then, install the new rod after leaving the wrist pin in the freezer overnight. Probably need to heat the new rod too. Any tricks to this process?

Elvira

Reaction score
Dry ice will chill colder for a little easier press fit, I have done that before. Did you check for a rod and piston already assembled as a new item, maybe a little less work without the need for using a press ?

OP
OP
PaulSwany

PaulSwany

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't check for a rod and piston assembly as the piston is in good shape. Just didn't count on the rod being a press fit. Do you use any heat in the process?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
My buddy's machine shop had a fixture with this type of jig.
8922776.jpg

We always heated the small end to mimimize the chance of distortion/damage. He had a rod oven, and later favored an LP "turbo" torch on a stationary mount, because it was faster than the rod oven.