Changing brake fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7thday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Brake fluid NEVER needs to be changed unless the system has been opened at some point.

Repeat.

Never.

*eyeroll* some people's kids...

You wouldn't think that moisture can get into a sealed system but it does. I change the brake fluid every year on my bike. When I was a motorcycle mechanic you wouldn't believe how bad the calipers and master cylinders were because nobody ever changed the fluid. Believe me it's much cheaper to change the fluid that it is to replace the master cylinder and calipers.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
You wouldn't think that moisture can get into a sealed system but it does. I change the brake fluid every year on my bike. When I was a motorcycle mechanic you wouldn't believe how bad the calipers and master cylinders were because nobody ever changed the fluid. Believe me it's much cheaper to change the fluid that it is to replace the master cylinder and calipers.

The brake fluid reservoir has a cap on it it isn't air tight. Also, the warming and cooling of the brake fluid draws air into the system through the cap.

That's why I thing TallCowboy0614 is joking.

Mitch1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins Diesel
My owners manual recommends changing brake fluid every 3 years. Not only does brake fluid draw moisture you have the fluid breaking down over time. Ask yourself why the fluid turns from clear to brown over time? Just like gas breaks down brake fluid breaks down. You can drive it for years and it's one of them things you don't notice because it slowly gets worse. Drain, refill and bleed then you notice the difference. Fluid maintenance prolongs the parts life.

enforcer17

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 2019
Engine
6.4L, 5.7L
I change my fluids, filters and belt every two years, oil change every 5000 with synthetic. All my vehicles have always performed their best, and I find peace of mind in doing so. 8spd tranny changed that a bit, have yet to do one.

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The owner's manual references almost all, if not all, maintenance requirements. It helps to read it. If you do not have one go to the internet.

Back in the day changing the brake fluid was not mentioned regularly. Of course if a person got 100,000 miles out of a car they probably already had to do many repairs. I first saw "change brake fluid every two years" in a German car's manual in the early 70s.

For a number of years I have seen two years in most manuals. The motorcycles I am familiar with state two years. Mileage is not so important as it is time that allows moisture to build up.

On my motorcycles the fluid starts turning dark in about two years. They have a smaller system and proportionally more rubber brake hoses thus moisture can permeate through the hoses just as air does leaving a tire over a period of time.

The one thing I have been hit with, depending on the service writer/tech, is the "decarbonization" scam. It is not in the manual. I have not found it in service bulletins. It has been called BS at every source I have ran across.

I verify any service recommended if it is new to me. Of course I have been at this game for almost 55 years. I also inspect any work claimed to have been done. Granted, I cannot actually see inside some repairs but at least I look for finger prints, cleaned areas, and any other indicator that I think looks like work was done.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Coolant should be 5 year 100k miles. Brake fluid can be tested with a strip to see if there is a lot of copper in the fluid, if so replace fluid as the fluid has become corrosive. They are over selling it a bit but simply put, ask them to show you in the owners manual where it recommends this be done....

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

the brake system is not sealed from the outside elements such as a refrigeration system, therefore it absorbs moisture over time. I do my bike every year as it is so simple, automobiles every 2 to 3 yrs max.

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never changed it on my '98 Dakota, 16 years old at the time but only 55k miles. Until it left me 100 miles from home with an almost locked up, smoking hot LF wheel due to dirty fluid plugging ports...

Russ

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The owner's manual references almost all, if not all, maintenance requirements. It helps to read it. If you do not have one go to the internet.

Back in the day changing the brake fluid was not mentioned regularly. Of course if a person got 100,000 miles out of a car they probably already had to do many repairs. I first saw "change brake fluid every two years" in a German car's manual in the early 70s.

For a number of years I have seen two years in most manuals. The motorcycles I am familiar with state two years. Mileage is not so important as it is time that allows moisture to build up.

On my motorcycles the fluid starts turning dark in about two years. They have a smaller system and proportionally more rubber brake hoses thus moisture can permeate through the hoses just as air does leaving a tire over a period of time.

The one thing I have been hit with, depending on the service writer/tech, is the "decarbonization" scam. It is not in the manual. I have not found it in service bulletins. It has been called BS at every source I have ran across.

I verify any service recommended if it is new to me. Of course I have been at this game for almost 55 years. I also inspect any work claimed to have been done. Granted, I cannot actually see inside some repairs but at least I look for finger prints, cleaned areas, and any other indicator that I think looks like work was done.
I just read the other day on here where a guy had a check engine light come on and they couldn’t figure out why. The dealer had the truck for a week plus. They came up with the “decarbonization” is the fix.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I just read the other day on here where a guy had a check engine light come on and they couldn’t figure out why. The dealer had the truck for a week plus. They came up with the “decarbonization” is the fix.

l just read the other day on here also.

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
l just read the other day on here also.

Yep, that must be the go to when it has been slow in the shop.

Another one I like, actually it ****** me off; I go in for an oil change and I am told I need a brake job. Really, they can tell that, unless really bad brakes, without pulling the wheels. It is obvious that the dust on the wheels has not been disturbed.

I do my own brake jobs and know about how long they should last. Another quick money maker. I am sorry but I don't trust any of them. When I do use the service department I have one service writer I sort of trust a little. He knows I know a lot and that I'll go to the "********* checker" before being sucked in.

alexalex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Listen to the others... Here's my opinion...

Will it hurt to flush the brake fluid - nope, well other than your money.

Does it need flushed, OK, 100k, sure. Unless really dirty,... Check owner manual by link https://manuals.co/workshop/dodge/ram.

The same applies to, power steering fluid, rear, front (4x4) diff lube. Unless you have VERY LOUD noises - wait until over 100k. Then it's just a matter of your money. Not changing those fluids, your truck won't fall apart.

Obviously, when you do change the fluids - use the best quality fluid / lube / filters that you can afford.

Honestly, you've got nothing to worry about.

I really hope this helps.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's only Chryslers recommendation,ZF themselves recommends between if I remember right 80,000 to 100,000 kms for a service on the 8HP70,and seeing as how they build the trannies,i'd probably go with ZF's reconmendations over Chryslers reconmendations

I’m not saying I don’t agree with you but my transmission won’t ever get screwed with until something ever happens to it being that I’m under a lifetime warranty so, I’ll just follow up with the book says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I do my oil change I take some brake fluid out with a turkey baster my wife gave me to use. I suck it up and put it in a water bottle ,then just fill up the brake container with dot 3. over time it really makes a difference.

That’s still a pretty good idea but still, the whole purpose of the flush is to get out whatever water, dirt, rust or other foreign floating debris that might collect around each one of your calipers. Simply sucking out a small amount of fluid from the reservoir and replacing it with brand new fluid only slowly changes the fluid but it doesn’t do nothing else for actually cleaning out the system.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can vouch for that brake fluid flush as well. When I had it flushed on my old 08 Ram once it hit 5 years of age, it made a difference.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Brake fluid is hygroscopic and should be changed every 20,000 or 2 years.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I don't have a certain millage I change the brake fluid but I do it on all my cars a couple times during owner ship.
Like said, it absorbs moisture very easily and living in South Louisiana, the air is pretty much full of moisture all year round.

It's really easy with this brake bleeder tool.
https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Pneu...t=&hvlocphy=9025389&hvtargid=pla-571637929868

It takes me longer to take the wheels off and on then flushing the brakes with that tool.
Plus the pedal always feels firmer after doing it.