Changing fuel sending unit after I run out of fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wrenchinup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Have a 97 Cummins, runs good, new fuel pump, dead fuel sender unit, and I want to empty the fuel tank the easy way, run out of fuel, so I can r and r the sending unit. but just wonder if it might cause problems. Been driving with a couple gallons of diesel in the box planning on cracking the banjo fitting on the pump to bleed the line, when I run out going down the road, but don’t want to get stranded. If there’s a reason that’s a bad idea I’d appreciate the heads up. Thanks

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can bypass the fuel pump relay and just take the fuel line off and down into a gas can. It’ll pump from your lift pump in the tank instead of just running the truck out of gas. I’ve done it on other vehicles before

OP
OP
W

wrenchinup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Thanks, great idea, I’ve done that with electric pumps but this is a mechanical lift pump and I don’t think that would work. Since you mentioned bypassing the relay I’m assuming you’re thinking electric? I do have an old subaru gas electric pump that might suck it out. Thanks