Changing rear shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Has anyone thought of or changed the rear shocks on their 5th gen ram to help with stability? I haven't searched to see whats out there for these but some co-workers had changed the rears to a bilstein 5100 on their 4th gens and they said it made a significant difference for them when towing their travel trailers..

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone thought of or changed the rear shocks on their 5th gen ram to help with stability? I haven't searched to see whats out there for these but some co-workers had changed the rears to a bilstein 5100 on their 4th gens and they said it made a significant difference for them when towing their travel trailers..
Well unless your current shocks are getting tired then a change of any sort except to a much heavier duty won't change much.
And a real HD shock really makes for a buck board style ride which can be pretty tiring the rest of the time when you aren't towing.
If you are overloaded in terms of the load carrying capacity of your springs, then shocks of any description will be of no benifit whatsoever.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I changed out to the Bilstiens on the '17 gmc sierra that I had and felt like there was a little improvement. on my ram I just run more air in the back tires when towing...40# or so. I also installed a stiffer sway bar which seems to me to help to generally stiffen up the backend a little..mine has ORP and I think that already includes an upgraded shock.