Changing wheel size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I recently bought a 2020 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited with air suspension. It came standard with 22-inch wheels. I want to switch to 20-inch wheels, but the dealer tells me that's quite involved -- if they do the work I'd have to replace not only the wheels, but probably also the hubs and bearings, knuckles, and front and rear axle shafts, which apparently are all different in the 22s because of the bolt pattern. However, a local tire place says they can make the wheel switch without all this work. I'd like to go with the local tire place, which is far less expensive, but don't want to damage the truck or create an unforeseen problem. Can anyone advise?

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get 6 bolt 20’s. That dealer is nuts, unless you insisted you wanted 5 lug gen4 20’s.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Find a new dealer that knows their ass from a hole in the ground.

Damfarm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So.....generally speaking I can go from my 6-lug 20" wheel (for my 2021 bighorn) to a 6-lug 18" wheel (for my snow tires) without an issue as long as that 18" wheel was 5th gen like my original 20"? I'd be switching between the 18" (winter-spring only) and the 20" (summer-fall) annually. The reason....I have a lot of 18" (2019-2021) Ram wheels available locally at the moment but no used 20". I'd like to avoid buying new wheels (or replacing lugs) if possible since it's just for my snow tires.

The stock tires were Bridgestone Dueller HLs; which I found to be next to useless in the snow last winter (downright dangerous!). 275-55-r20's

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can go down to a 17 w/o issue. Perhaps the dealer was thinking about lower then a 17 in his brain, then it is a thing. Bolt patterns are pretty easy to look up, just look up the bolt pattern to verify. Or he was thinking about 2500 rims that are 8 lug, so how many lugs on your truck?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
As long as Lug count matches and the spacing no problem switching between sizes. The one thing you do have to check is caliper clearance with the smaller rims. Make sure that when mounted the turning rim dos not hit the brake calipers, happens sometimes going from 22" to 17" or 18" but not all that common. The Tire shop will know how to do that properly and if they are good they will also ensure you do not have excess offset.

All the crap the dealer was telling you is complete nonsense. I would file a formal complaint with the owner of that dealership and I would put it on the reviews. I would NEVER go back to that dealer. This is exactly how they rip off so many people that don't know much about vehicles.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You can go down to a 17 w/o issue. Perhaps the dealer was thinking about lower then a 17 in his brain, then it is a thing. Bolt patterns are pretty easy to look up, just look up the bolt pattern to verify. Or he was thinking about 2500 rims that are 8 lug, so how many lugs on your truck?
As long as Lug count matches and the spacing no problem switching between sizes. The one thing you do have to check is caliper clearance with the smaller rims. Make sure that when mounted the turning rim dos not hit the brake calipers, happens sometimes going from 22" to 17" or 18" but not all that common. The Tire shop will know how to do that properly and if they are good they will also ensure you do not have excess offset.

All the crap the dealer was telling you is complete nonsense. I would file a formal complaint with the owner of that dealership and I would put it on the reviews. I would NEVER go back to that dealer. This is exactly how they rip off so many people that don't know much about vehicles.
Guys, 17 inch wheels will not clear the brake calipers on a 5th gen. The smallest wheel he can use is 18 inch. And even then not all aftermarket 18's will clear.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Guys, 17 inch wheels will not clear the brake calipers on a 5th gen. The smallest wheel he can use is 18 inch. And even then not all aftermarket 18's will clear.
my bad, I thought I was in 4th gen, lol. I rarely come over here, 4 gen 17's will work. thanks

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
my bad, I thought I was in 4th gen, lol. I rarely come over here, 4 gen 17's will work. thanks
No worries. I just figured it would be a good idea to correct that claim. Maybe keep someone from making an expensive mistake LOL.