Charging RV with alternator on Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountainlion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l I6
Have a 2022 3500. Want to run a 6 or 4 AVG cable from Battery to a 30A DC/DC charger on the travel trailer.

Anyone who have done this on a generation 5 ?

I’m a little bit concerned that it might confuse all the computers that are present in the truck if 30/40 A disappear out in thin air.

Did you use chassie for ground or did you use a separate negative from battery?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I run a nearly 30amp onboard air compressor daily. It is for my airbag system and horns. The truck doesn't know the difference.
I wired the + lead through a 60amp relay so it only comes on with ignition on. Also it is run from the passenger battery to the front of the back tire area on the frame where the compressor and tank is mounted. I used a chassis ground.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Doesn't your regular tow plug charge the trailer, pin 4, black. Keeps mine maintained while connected.

It is a very small gauge wire and will take a day or two to bring up a dead battery. The trailer plug charge is a maintainer. It can't carry the electrons to bring up a dead battery in a reasonable amount of time.

OP
OP
mountainlion

mountainlion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l I6
It is a very small gauge wire and will take a day or two to bring up a dead battery. The trailer plug charge is a maintainer. It can't carry the electrons to bring up a dead battery in a reasonable amount of time.
I get 5A over the trailer connection.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Agreed, that will not work....

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Look into what Mobile Mechanics use on their vehicles

If you ever look at a mechanics vehicle assisting someone out on the roadway.
The mechanics vehicle is usually parked in front of the disabled vehicle.
There are a few reasons for that.

The mechanics tools are in the rear of his truck or van, so they are handy.

The second reason is Safety
walking back & forth to the mechanics vehicle, would be a lot of needless exposure.
If a vehicle is hit by the moving traffic, it will be the disabled vehicle.

The only disadvantage is when the disabled vehicle has to be jump started
The mechanic could make a dangerous U-Turn,
or
The mechanics vehicle could be set up with a power connection at the rear of the vehicle.

Because of the length, you would need either #1 or #2 gauge heavy insulated wire

one end of two cables would be permanently attached wires to the battery
Run those 2 cables along the frame back to location near the license plate, at that point, those cables would be terminated with a single terminal, that has both a Male & Female copper fitting with covers.

From that point, you would have a removable matching terminal, with cables that would plug into the permanent terminal.
On the opposite end you could have Jumper Cable Clamps or the trailers 30A DC/DC charger

I hope that i did not confuse everyone too much :)

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
same as what GT Yankee said tow trucks have the same idea !1654606407783.png see photo i think this is better since both sides are covered and no mistakes can be made when hooking up !

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
same as what GT Yankee said tow trucks have the same idea !View attachment 494883 see photo i think this is better since both sides are covered and no mistakes can be made when hooking up !
on my previous ram,i had anderson connectors for my rear mounted winch and wired them with welding cable just under the rear of the bed.talk about heavy duty.i could also attach a 1000 watt inverter to it and plug in and power almost anything.i used it to recharge my truck camper battery bank along with the solar pack when they got really low.also worked for charging my trolling motor battery bank.my new Powerwagon has the dual alternator setup.

OP
OP
mountainlion

mountainlion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l I6
same as what GT Yankee said tow trucks have the same idea !View attachment 494883 see photo i think this is better since both sides are covered and no mistakes can be made when hooking up !
Yes on my F-250 I used Anderson connectors. Did run 6 AWG and that was enough to get 27A from a 30A DC/DC Charger. (4 AWG would be enough to get 30A) Used a solonoid that was activated by one of the upswitches. That had the advantage that I could deactivate the charge from inside the truck.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
My mechanic had a portable battery jump starter smaller than a book. They actually work & Amazon sells lots to choose from