Charging System Error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtppilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
On another forum, a poster shared a TSB and STAR from Stellantis that seem to indicate this is a problem that has already been fixed by an OTA UConnect update. My best recollection is that I got an OTA update just before this problem started, and that seems to be supported by posters in other forums too. I checked yesterday and my system seems to be fully updated, so no indications about a potential fix.

Attachments

• STAR_S228A000023_revA_MY22 DT VHR issues.pdf
    146.4 KB · Views: 10
  • TSB_08-211-22_MY22 DT Radio updates.pdf
    757.2 KB · Views: 10

Uprising

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
On another forum, a poster shared a TSB and STAR from Stellantis that seem to indicate this is a problem that has already been fixed by an OTA UConnect update. My best recollection is that I got an OTA update just before this problem started, and that seems to be supported by posters in other forums too. I checked yesterday and my system seems to be fully updated, so no indications about a potential fix.
You know, I think I had an update just before this started too. I recall about a week prior my app wasn't working right. (Couldn't lock, remote start etc from the phone app and the image of my truck wasn't showing on the GPS map marker). The update seemed to resolve that but now I'm getting this error.

jmb0173

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Hey guys Joe here, new to this forum but longtime Ram driver. I have a '22 EcoDiesel which recently upgraded the UConnect and I am getting app-based "charging system" errors now. Nothing on the dash so far. Dealer claims there are no technical bulletins on this. Anyone found a solution yet?

Matt950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3L V6
Same thing happened to me when I drove it off the lot a few weeks ago. I took it into the dealership, they test and charged the battery blamed it on “lot rot”, and said they performed an update. Notifications went away for about a week, just got one again today. Gonna reach out to them again but they probably have no idea what’s going on.

jmb0173

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Update: now the app shows no errors. Have not gotten the RamConnect email with the error for a few days.
No error ever was displayed on the vehicle dashboard, and no mechanical evidence manifested during operation.

My service advisor wondered if it was a database or app error on Ram's server side (a 'gremlin' in technical terms)

will watch to see if it comes back

dobelbower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3500 Cummins
I’ve been having the charging error on app and screen for about a month on my 22 eco diesel. Since there are no icons lighting up on dash, and reading all these posts, I’ve done nothing about it. Last few days getting more notices of this; however, last night after parking in my garage a VERY strong burning electrical smell filled my garage. No smoke, just smell. Could not find the source. Made appointment to take truck in first thing Monday (12/12/22). I’ll keep you posted.

BobK

Reaction score
Ram Year
I'm having the exact same issue as you guys on my 3 month old 2022 EcoDiesel. I have an appointment with my dealer on Wednesday and hope I see a resolution here or there by then. Thanks.

dobelbower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3500 Cummins
Went to dealer this morning. They have never seen this before and RAM has nothing on it. They looked over everything and, besides a loose negative on the battery, everything looked fine. Said that RAM would be updating program, which could be the cause. Honestly, I suspect that’s it. Since the first time I smelled something burning, I have not smelled anything. I’ll keep posting should any of these issues continue.

Ccosta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel
Just picked up my brand new Ecodiesel on Friday. I woke up Saturday and looked at the RAM app on my phone and noticed I had an alert. Powertrain-Charging System Failure. No lights are on the dash. Nothing noticeably wrong while driving. Today (Sunday) when I drove and turned the truck off an error displayed on the radio.
"Service Notification- Battery" Battery Alert, Your vehicles battery requires attention. Press Call for assistance.

Anyone else have this issue? I suppose it could be possible to get a bad battery from the factory, but seems odd.

Thanks.
I’m having the same issue with my 2022 Ecodiesel. I took it to the dealership, they ran diagnostics and found nothing. They said there’s nothing they can do since there’s no alert. I’m still getting the notifications though. Anyone have updates for this issue?

Attachments

• B528CDCE-7122-497D-A5EF-E1E10972E205.png
    B528CDCE-7122-497D-A5EF-E1E10972E205.png
    353.4 KB · Views: 5

shaggy11101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
Just bought a new EcoDiesel last Friday and having the same problem. Upon driving it home, got the alert on the app with accompanying email about the charging system.
No issues with the truck and dash lights have never come on.
Actually, today when I drove it to work, the alert on the app went away and still hasnt come back.
I suspect a UConnect/App issue as stated above. I am not going to waste my time taking it in for them to tell me nothing is wrong.

Uprising

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
I took my truck into the dealership offer the weekend to get it checked. They couldn't find anything wrong with it and couldn't reproduce the service battery warning I saw on my 12" uconnect screen.

I also had them check to make sure it didn't have a coolant leak as when these alerts started on the app I noticed a sweet smell like something was burning after driving. Lady that checked me in at the service department said she smelled it too. But service paper work says all fluids are good.

2 month old '22 Laramie.

22Laramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
22 ED Laramie here as well..

Just got this error on the app, nothing on the truck, but two months ago I had to replace the brand new battery because it randomly died on me. Doesn’t shock me there isn’t a solution yet but posting to hopefully get updated eventually.

jmb0173

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
No updates yet. My dealer is "still working on it", though I have not taken it back in. App now again gives error after it cleared. Truck drives fine and no dash notifications. I'm starting to think this is a ghost. I might just watch it for a while. Also, since EcoDiesel is now out of production (or imminently will be), I'm guessing it's not the most important thing for Ram to work on.
That's OK, one day diesel will be cheap again.

jmb0173

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I took my truck into the dealership offer the weekend to get it checked. They couldn't find anything wrong with it and couldn't reproduce the service battery warning I saw on my 12" uconnect screen.

I also had them check to make sure it didn't have a coolant leak as when these alerts started on the app I noticed a sweet smell like something was burning after driving. Lady that checked me in at the service department said she smelled it too. But service paper work says all fluids are good.

2 month old '22 Laramie.
I had same thing when I bought mine this past Feb, for a couple days. Nothing since in 19k miles. Looks like it's just burn-in or small spills.

Nasty12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
New to forum. Same issue on my new 2022 ED. I began getting charging system alert on UConnect about a month ago. (7500 mi) 2 trips to dealership and several shoulder shrugs. No other errors noted, software updated and alert received again this morning.

mtppilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Took my truck in yesterday after noticing a minor oil leak (which they attributed to spillage during a recent oil change). I took screen shots of the app error (charging system) and the uConnect notification (battery alert).

They said I was the first person they'd seen with these symptoms, and so they ran full diagnostics on the battery and the charging system, all with no errors. They reported RAM told them an update was in process. I don't know whether to look forward to the update resolving this problem or to worry about what new problems the update will cause.

22Laramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Alright, after seeing these updates i'm just skipping my service appointment. These clowns can't get me in a loaner anyway, and i'm not leaving my truck there for an undetermined amount of time so they can just tell me it's a bug.

Uprising

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
Alright, after seeing these updates i'm just skipping my service appointment. These clowns can't get me in a loaner anyway, and i'm not leaving my truck there for an undetermined amount of time so they can just tell me it's a bug.
Honestly, probably a good decision as it would most likely be a waste of time.

I had an OTA update on the 16th. Charging system errors returned today 12/20.

jmb0173

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Uprising: same for me. After a week of no errors, updated OTA on 16th and now getting them daily. Battery voltage is ~14v. No errors in the vehicle. Just the app and emails.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HERE is some info from another forum:

Mine said "uconnect box battery requires service", dealer replaced it under warranty. They told me the uconnect box has an internal rechargeable battery, they think factory had one or more batches that sat on the shelf too long and the batteries don't want to charge properly. I asked if I could have the old box, wanted to open it up and see if the battery is easily replaced, but they said it had to go back. So does that mean that there might be refurbished boxes getting folded back into the supply chain? Not sure what to think about that, just putting it out there FYI.

FWIW, everytime RAM says OTA fix stuff, usually opposite happens, just saying. Same issues with the Uconnect 5 systems, just beware and informed.

ADDED: Looks to me that there is a bad part/battery somewhere put in all these 2022 ED's ref the U Connect 5 systems. Just be happy U got the Gen 3 motor and not the Gen 2 motor, just saying. And yes, I had an ED that I sold, went to Hemi. It ran fine, no problems, except friggin bogging down when U floor it. Friggin thing almost got me killed trying to get out of a Funeral Home parking lot, hence why I got the Hemi now.

Last edited: