Charonblk07's build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Since I'm planning to spend some more time over on this forum than on some of my others, mostly because they haven't been blocked by my work's servers, I figure I'll show people what I ahve been doing with my truck to date.

I had a nicely modified '07 QCRB 4x4 before my current truck. I had it to the track a few times and had it run a 13.57, not bad for a stock block with a built top end, cam, and a bit of spray. I had everything lined up to go the stroker + blower on it when an inattentive driver of a new '12 Grandc Cerokee decided the back of my truck was a better way to stop than using his own brakes. I had about $30K into that truck and only got $8K out of it in the end but I pulled most of the audio, performance, and tires off before handing it over to the wrecker.

I'll miss that truck, but I've moved onto bigger and better. It did it's job and kept my wife and me safe.

dIe4jmd.jpg

fttfRCT.jpg

IPVRAhh.jpg

KwMjBWH.jpg

v1LFGfx.jpg

4jD4rkw.jpg

tvfd8gq.jpg

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Hey C...Man. I remember that was sad but at least you and your Mrs got out OK! Was waiting to see how you faired out recently after putting in the new Mill and working through the small snags you had mentioned on the Club's Thread. Looking forward to your build thread and seeing the truck up and running to your satisfaction, shes gonna fly. BTW, I got a hush hush surprise coming for the Magnum which I will share later.

Did you remove the window visors from the Ol Truck, looking for a set.

Welcome to RF. Danny

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Beware! Wall of Text!

Before I get started, I need to say thanks to the guys at Bully's Performance for the help they've given me over the course of my build. They've set me up with lots of little things and a few big ones since I started this build a year ago.

The new truck is a brilliant black '09 1500 QCRB Sport 4wd that I bought with 100,000km on it, so it was out of factory warranty, which was perfect because I had vowed to change every damned thing on it, so why care about a warranty, it just had to have a solid body and frame to start with.

Here is the expected build plan for this truck. It will be a full show and go truck just like the last one, only better.

Performance mods are almost complete:

PWR VVT 349cuin block
with a 6.1L crank, manley rods and pistons, ARP 2000 main studs, running 9.6CR.​
Ported eagle heads with stock valve diameters,
6.1L spring swap,
ARP head studs,
6.1L intake manifold (this may change to a 6.4L SRV manifold) powder coated metallic black,
Arrington billet fuel rails,
-8AN supply and -6AN return fuel system
A1000 fuel pressure regulator,
Walbro 400 pump with 10micron in-line filter,
SRT4 Stage 2 60lb injectors,
P1SC (D1SC will go in next spring) with 2.87" pulley (~12-15psi),
custom FMIC,
N2O Outlet nitrous plate with a Zex kit,
1 7/8" primary catless AR Headers - titanium cermaic coated for appearance,
Custom bent 3" true-dual exhaust with twin 30" magnaflow 12641 - dual tip rear side exhaust,
QTP cutouts - just because who doesn't love to be loud and have full WOT flow,
Upgraded all engine grounds to 4ga (also audio related),
2800 stall Circle D converter,
85mm true-bore BBK Throttle body,
Dual catch can setup (not for performance, but who wants that going back into the engine?),
Hydroboost brake conversion,
EBC sport rotors and Greenstuff pads,
Stock 3.92LSD,
Triple gauge pod - boost, AFR, fuel pressure,
Dual dash pod - Nitrous pressure + nitrous control center,
Diable Trinity - tuning is by Josh at HHP,
and a L&M trans with deep pan and relocated trans cooler.

I think that's it for performance, I may have forgotten a few items, but it's hard to keep track of it all somedays.

The suspension is not typical, I'm dropping a 4wd, which many people hate or are confused by, but I live in Alberta and deal with our winter conditions. This is my DD and drag truck, so having traction in winter and at the track is the only reason it's a 4wd. It has:

4/6 drop with GF front springs and McG's delux spindle kit,
Spohn adjustable control arms and panhard bar,
Michigan Metal Werks front upper control arms with uni-ball joints,
Kore high Angle CV shafts,
Belltech rear 2wd shocks,
Rear notch,
Hellwig anti-swap bar,

Engine bay will be getting some appearance TLC:

Painted and hydrodipped half covers, fuse box cover,
Hose Candy upper and lower rad hoses,
Hose Candy heater hose covers,
Relocated and coated A/C lines,
Stainless hardlines where possible,
Powdercoated supercharger piping,
Billet dual battery bracket for Optima batteries,
Complete Billet Tech engine bay appearance upgrades,
Billet washer fluid and overflow reservoirs relocated,

The exterior appearance mods are ongoing but the end result will be:

Street Scenes roll pan,
Stock hitch and spare tire delete,
Custom hidden hitch,
Shaved tailgate, fuel door, stake pockets, and antennae,
*******'s Speedstur fiberglass tonneau,
APM hood,
Custom built deep mouth front grille,
Custom lower air dam grille (possibly with tow hooks for the track),
2 tone paint - snakeskin green, brilliant black - hopefully in spring funds permitting,
22" 2Crave No. 8 wheels with 305/40R22 Nitto NT420S rubber (should completely fill the wheel well)

Lighting is as follows:

Custom painted '13 projector swap (did this before the RS harness was available),
Projector fog lamp swap using Morimoto M1s - painted,
AAC RGB LED halos in heads and fogs,
Spyder smoked LED tails,
Recon smoked 3rd brake light,

Interior will get:

Painted, hydrodipped, and Di-Noc carbon fiber panels,
Corbeau front seats with 4-point harness for driverseat,
Harness bar,
Katzkin rear seat and console upgrade,
Headliner recovered (still deciding on color/material),
Pillars painted and hydrodipped,
B&I carbon fiber steering wheel swap,

And lastly audio:

Complete interior sound deadening layers with Damplifier Pro, a closed cell foam , and a mass loaded vinyl,
2x JL Audi HD 900/5 amps,
2x 12" JL Audio 12w6v3 subs,
Net Audio tall underseat upfire box,
Each front door will get custom pods to hold:
1x JL ZR800 mid sub,
2x JL c5 650 6.5" component speakers​
Rear door:
1x JL C5 525x 5.25" coaxial​

I think that's it for the build plans. A lot of it is already done or in progress over the past year or is planned for the next 6 months over winter. I know I've missed some things, but it's the little stuff that come with every build. I am doing all the work myself except paint and block assembly, those I will always leave to professionals.

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Hey C...Man. I remember that was sad but at least you and your Mrs got out OK! Was waiting to see how you faired out recently after putting in the new Mill and working through the small snags you had mentioned on the Club's Thread. Looking forward to your build thread and seeing the truck up and running to your satisfaction, shes gonna fly. BTW, I got a hush hush surprise coming for the Magnum which I will share later.

Did you remove the window visors from the Ol Truck, looking for a set.

Welcome to RF. Danny

Hey D! I though was you when I saw southern AB and sorry, I sold the visor covers to Schleprock from the club, sorry. Both sets I had disappeared really quickly when I put them up.

I'm curious what you've got planned for that maggy, someone needs to show Simon up with that new aluminum 440 he's got, lol.

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
And now the obligatory photo posts of work to date:

Here it is all of 1 day after picking it up from the dealership. Nothing fancy... too much chrome for me, hate side steps, and stock lights need major TLC.
IMG_3475_zps33b15a1a.jpg

First thing I did was take some of the insurance money from the old truck and pick up some initial mods. A set of Spyder smoked LED tail lights just so I could call it modified since I truly hate. I had my Trinity from the last truck, so after an update I loaded in the 87 tune as soon as I was handed the keys, literally the first thing I did in the dealership parking lot. It'd get me though the winter until I could start working on it in earnest.

IMG_3889_zps2f2e8a32.jpg

After that it was stockpiling parts and getting things lined up and prep work for the next 4 months. I started working on my headlights

IMG_3753_zpsb2340230.jpg

IMG_3809_zps43e9a70a.jpg

Here's a video of the new halos at work:
MVI 3815 - YouTube

At the same time I got parts ordered and started filling my storage unit; suspension parts, engine block, heads, transmission, :

IMG_3865_zps8023a27a.jpg

IMG_3866_zps64f8f517.jpg

IMG_3868_zpsc242b4b9.jpg

IMG_3682_zpsb502971e.jpg

Once I had all the parts, I started assembling the new powerplant

IMG_4141_zps13b9a035.jpg

Remember... don't drop the VVT cam phaser, they actually explode:

IMG_4140_zpsdae62b9c.jpg

IMG_4173_zps30d039f2.jpg

Spring finally rolled around and I got the hood and headlights installed. Finally it was looking less like a stock truck

IMG_3888_zps7577f10d.jpg

IMG_3887_zps1b74f3f2.jpg

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
After my wedding folled by a major shutdown and mainenance turnaround where I was the safety coordinator for the whole plant that took up 2 months of my life, I got home and got started on the performance upgrades.

Got started by renting a bay at the local U-wrench... where I would spend the next 2 weeks on a hoist... still cheaper than having a shop do the work.

null_zpsf8b89a82.jpg

this is why I love trucks... you could never do this with a LX... and yes, the engine is still in there

null_zpsa63eb455.jpg

Engine is gone

null_zps2c0d9a76.jpg

Old vs new

null_zpsd0b34112.jpg

Remember... I'm a safety coordinator...

null_zps009ac17d.jpg

With the help of several local ALX club members and a local truck member we got the engine pulled, swapped accessories over, LT headers installed, and mill put back into place.

2013-07-25161051_zpsdd2c517e.jpg

2013-07-25161104_zps817f0cce.jpg

Once it was all assembled I went to fire it up, and nadda. Wasn't building compression at all, but I was making oil pressure enough to find I had a major oil leak. Turned out that the block was shipped without oil gallery plugs, and I didn't even think to check for them. Pulled trans again and installed plugs. Still no firing though.

Figured it out after a week of pondering and troubleshooting help from another local truck member who has been totally awesome. Turns out I screwed up the timing and had it 90 degrees out - you apparently use the timing mark and not the open hole in the cam phaser :pp:

Got that sorted out and fired up first time when reassembled the third time after setting the chain off by a tooth.

While I was on the hoist I also got some suspension work taken care of. Installed the Ground Force front drop springs, and the McG's 2/4 delux spindle kit as well for a total of 4/6 drop on the 4wd. Did the hellwig swaybar and spohn adjustable 4-link control arms as well.

2013-08-09090629_zps8cfa0ac1.jpg

2013-08-09110016_zps7efd4ac2.jpg

2013-08-09090515_zps71f45144.jpg

Everything that came out of the truck, suspension-wise:

2013-08-09125233_zpsb751ca99.jpg

After I got it all running, I took some time away from the truck, I'd blown a CV joint in the first 5 minutes of driving it. Coincidently, prior to moving the truck I'd told my wife it was a matter of time with the CVs how they were... and 5 min later... I was a god damned prophet!

2013-08-22102835_zps474f9b59.jpg

After all this I was happy to just having it moving around and IMHO it looks completely badass, but still needs lots of TLC

IMG_4267_zpsae29764e.jpg

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Took a break from the mechanical side of things and did some appearance mods while the weather was nice on my days off.

Pulled a bunch of interior pieces off, did some fiberglass work, prep, and paint. Here's the center stack, notice the deleted lower "RAM" insert where the heated seat controls would go, I also deleted the front pocket under the center stack on the console cover.

IMG_4240_zps24c3e894.jpg

IMG_4239_zps5c53b1a1.jpg

I was happy with the final paint, hydro dip, and di-noc results. It took a while to get it perfect but I wouldn't change a thing now. Paint is the snakeskin green and I used the "baby snake skin" film from Mydipkit.com. After that it was the di-noc followed by about 5 layers of clear over everything.

IMG_4245_zps526174d5.jpg

IMG_4252_zps4f7e8f73.jpg

IMG_4251_zpsade3c8de.jpg

IMG_4250_zpsdee4ca20.jpg

IMG_4255_zps988e34d4.jpg

While I was finishing off the interior, I dropped the truck off to have the exhaust welded up. Again, something I leave to a professional because my welding is so-so at best and the place I go is amazing at getting placement perfect for tips and clearances.

IMG_4271_zps20d8cc67.jpg

IMG_4272_zpsa201a77a.jpg

I will be pulling the final section of the exahust system and getting it powdercoated flat black because the shiney tips annoy the F out of me. I was going to dump after the axle, but these tips allow me to do something I've always wanted to do with a vehicle... a flamethrower kit - only for one of the major local shows that has a burnout contest, I'm not one those rice burners with a pink flame.

This is how it sits right now. Still waiting to get my new Kore high angle CV shafts assembled and chasing down a small oil leak, but aside from that, it's game on for the tuning process with the supercharger since we have to start from scratch with the tune.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
bad

freakin'

ass

And welcome to RF!

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I remember seeing your other build on HTC. This looks bad ass. Is the whole truck going to be green?

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Thank everyone, I'm really enjoying this build, though being stuck in camp for 2 months has really slowed down my progress, and now it's winter and I live in a condo with only an outdoor parking stall. Modding will be intereting next week.

I remember seeing your other build on HTC. This looks bad ass. Is the whole truck going to be green?

I'm planning a complete green front and up from the major body line along the rest of the cab/bed, will have a silver breaker line between. My painter wants to get a little creative so it might change, he's never had the opportunity to do a full truck since he primarily does bikes and monotone colors for body panels. The grilles will be black powdercoated hexagonal mesh.

I did think about the whole truck, but my wife said it would be TOO green, which would have been an understatement.

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Dropped the truck off to get the tips welded onto the exhaust piping so I can take the back section apart to get ceramic coated black. Also Installed the triple pillar pad with the boost, fuel pressure, and AFR gauges. Did a little test fit on the dash pod as well that will hold the nitrous control center and the N2O pressure gauge.

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Got some time in the self-serve bay today and got the front end fixed up and all good, well, almost. On the agenda for today was the new front upper control arms from Michigan Metal Works with the uniball joint to replace the old ball joint; install the new Kore high-angle CV shafts; install the EBC Sport rotors and greenstuff pads (7000 series front, 6000 series in the rear); remove the rear bump stops; swap over to the 17" winter wheels/tires.

Comparison between the MMW and OEM upper control arms.
2013-11-26112132_zpsf44f0836.jpg

2013-11-26112154_zps0098c4d2.jpg

Kore vs. OEM CV shafts
2013-11-26112325_zps4056e014.jpg

2013-11-26112250_zps39bf720f.jpg

The front install went really smooth, pulled apart the whole spindle assembly, swapped CVs, upper control arms, and did brakes. Same for the rear, total time to do everything was about 5 hours including an attempt to remove the bumpstop bracket, which I couldn't do with just the die grinder/cut off wheel, so I'll take a sawzall to it tomorrow. I had to ream out a very SMALL amount of the spindle's taper bottom to clear the larger diameter bolt on the new upper control arms.

Once everything was bolted up I dropped it on the lift and went to pull it out... to a horrendous screech/grinding/tire squealing. Front tires were jammed up something fierce, thought I might have made a mistake with the brakes, but since I didn't do anything to the caliper I was stumped.

Turns out that with the McG's spindles there is a clearance issue between the lower balljoint/wheel with the '13 17" stock wheel, so I trimmed the balljoint flush with the bottom of the nut... and that still wasn't enough. I swapped my 22s back on and no issues, but I'm going to pick up a 1/4" spacer to see if that makes any difference, but if it doesn't then I'm going to be stuck using an 18" minimum wheel, which means I'll throw the SSBC kit I have on.

Everything back in place
2013-11-26135250_zps2a5fce5a.jpg

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I also got to get it out on the highway for the first time since the engine swap, and the alignment is off a bit, I can tell by the way the back end kicks out when I got a little too far in on the skinny pedal. But it sure felt solid. Just need to get the big red race valve welded in place now and I can really start having fun with the tuning process.

MGRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow didn't realize your build was so in depth. Lots of stuff your doing I didn't even know could be done with the new rams.
Can't wait to see it in the spring