Chasing my tail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dinomike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello All,
I have a 1993 Dodge D250 extra cab w/automatic and 5.9L Cummins. In the last few months I started having problems with my gauges(to be specific the speedometer) and first attributed it to poor work done by a previous mechanic (found a lot of choppy wire work behind the dash). That eventually spread to the battery charge gauge and then all at once my cruise control, a/c, and OD shift searches + my “wait to start” light stayed on. I had previously changed the CSS twice (original, NAPA, now one from Oreily), and the VSS. With the new events I then sent my ecm off to be refurbed at SIA. I got that back and put it back in. The a/c, cruise control, and shifting we’re all normal and working. The battery charge gauge and speedo were still not working. Two days while driving it the battery gauge started working (the speedo still didn’t) but then I noticed my shifting at about 45-50 mph started searching and at about 50-54 mph it would shift with a puff of black smoke coming out of the exhaust.
I sent an email to the company that refurbed the ecm to see if they thought that it could be the ecm again but they have not been helpful. At this point I feel like I’m chasing my tail with these gremlins. I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place but I’m not sure if it’s a wiring issue, a sensor, brakes(I noticed they wobbled while braking when braking over 35 mph), fuel, computer, or transmission.