Chassis damage to the rear. Write off or repairable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Khrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My DS 1500 Crew Cab which is about 3 months old, was in a tyre repair place getting a wheel alignment under warranty. It was out sourced from the dealer as they have no tyre equipment so all Rams and other vehicles go to this particular tyre fitter.

During the alignment, my Ram rolled backwards and down a slight slope in their yard and collided with a shipping container. After discussion with the owner of the store, it appears the bloke doing the wheel alignment, didn't have any chocks behind the wheels.
Anyway there's no issue with them taking responsibility for it and their insurance company has approved the initial quote from the crash repairer (who is ****** awesome). I have a loan car so that's no problem either.

However as a result of the collision, the tow bar minus the hitch, hit the container and has pushed it back, bending the chassis The jig or whatever it's called at the repairer, couldn't straighten it. He sent it to another repairer with a stronger machine and still unable to get out a slight bend in the last 30cm. The repairer said heating it would work but is not going to do that as it would weaken the steel.

From what research I've done Fiat Chrysler Australia say do not heat any chassis components. I've also heard from someone that any chassis damage to the rear end is considered a write off.

My dealer and repairer are now waiting to hear from Ram Trucks Australia as to what can and can't be done.

The repairer sent me an email today saying the other repairer has noticed on that chassis that it appears a section at the rear can be removed and replaced. That sounds like trouble to me.

I'm going to be towing a 3.5 tonne off road caravan so the rear end needs to be rock solid.

Anyone have any knowledge if damage to the chassis is repairable or a write off?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
In the state of Idaho, there are 2 shops that cut the frame & spreads it apart then adds a section using a boxing method

So the frame can be cut, straightened, boxed for strength & welded

OP
OP
K

Khrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I should mention I'm in Australia. Not sure if they do that sort of thing here but thanks for the info.

JoshsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I don't know. I feel like if it were my truck I would want it written off. If I had to tow with that truck after all the "repairs", I'd probably constantly be thinking about what might break due to extra stress on a repaired part. Add on top of that that you will probably have a slightly depreciated value due to the damage. If it's not on your dime, I would push to get it totaled and try to get a replacement truck.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The rear frame extensions are bolted to the main frame and can be replaced.

Some jurisdictions and laws don't allow that as they consider it "frame damage". That obviously depends on what your insurance and vehicle regulatory bodies allow or don't allow.

OP
OP
K

Khrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know. I feel like if it were my truck I would want it written off. If I had to tow with that truck after all the "repairs", I'd probably constantly be thinking about what might break due to extra stress on a repaired part. Add on top of that that you will probably have a slightly depreciated value due to the damage. If it's not on your dime, I would push to get it totaled and try to get a replacement truck.
Yep I feel exactly the same way. Unfortunately the repairer has to wait for Ram Trucks Australia to say if it's repairable. No issues with getting a new one but have to go through the process.

OP
OP
K

Khrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The rear frame extensions are bolted to the main frame and can be replaced.

Some jurisdictions and laws don't allow that as they consider it "frame damage". That obviously depends on what your insurance and vehicle regulatory bodies allow or don't allow.
I don't think our laws in Australia are the same. I hope not anyway.

Scybron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
da Hemi
Here in the states the frame damage will show up on a carfax, and others. That will definitely hurt resale/trade-in. Big chunk out of your pocket, not knowing what your long term plans for the truck is, but I personnally would push for it to get replaced/totaled.

OP
OP
K

Khrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No such thing here in Australia, however as luck would have it, the Ram was written off and I got a fair payout from insurance. I ended up buying a DT 1500 Laramie and absolutely love it!!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If i lived in Australia or N.Z.
Knowing most everything that they have to do to Convert to right hand drive, etc.

I would buy that damaged Ram, then remove that Class 4 Hitch Receiver.

Then do one of these things
Unbolt or grind off the rivets on the frame before the damage, or cut the frame, box it in & slide a good section off of another Ram into the boxed area & weld it into place.

I bet that there are plenty of Ranchers that would be glad to have such a nice truck

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963