Cheap Soft Cover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MRLARA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Folks,

Has anyone come up with a cheap soft cover? I was thinking of trying to semi-permanently install a canvas tarp covering the bed, if I can find one the right size.* We haul stuff a lot (usually nothing expensive: mulch/yard debris), and so having something I can easily toss over it would be nice, but since we also live in an area where vehicle break-ins are common, I don't want to shell out $200+ for a cover, just to have it cut through or destroyed (someone mangled a neighbor's hard cover, a few years back, only to discover an empty bed).

* I was going to do this by padlocking it to the two corners near the cab, and then just using clip rings to anchor it to the two near the tail gate. Just enough to prevent idle thieves, but not complicated enough to make it a pain to use.

(and yes, I did try searching this, but everyone seems to be spending $250+ on a cover, and isn't worried about it)

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a soft roll up tonneau cover from Amazon for $179 delivered. It rolls up to the rear window and straps hold it there so I drive with it rolled up.

You can try to make one out of plywood or something. Clamp a long piano hinge to the front of the bed and bolt a sheet of plywood to it so you can open it. Use the rear stake holes in the bed to secure it closed. With the cost of materials, tools and time you'll still be better off with a tonneau cover like I bought though20210702_110625.jpg

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lund 96865 Genesis Elite Roll Up Tonneau

I have had a Lund Genesis on my last 2 trucks and hands down they are top notch! The Elite is a canvas cover (not fake leather looking) and it has held up perfectly for over 3 years parking outside every day. There has been no stretch and I have only treated it one time with 303 marine water proofer. No leaks ever except a tiny bit that rolls in from the tailgate.

I purchased mine off of eBay directly from Lund. At the time, they had them on clearance or something so I only paid $236.

OP
OP
M

MRLARA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a soft roll up tonneau cover from Amazon for $179 delivered. It rolls up to the rear window and straps hold it there so I drive with it rolled up.

You can try to make one out of plywood or something. Clamp a long piano hinge to the front of the bed and bolt a sheet of plywood to it so you can open it. Use the rear stake holes in the bed to secure it closed. With the cost of materials, tools and time you'll still be better off with a tonneau cover like I bought though

Yeah, you might be right. I'll look at those. I just expect that, in the next 2-3 years someone will slash it while I'm at the grocery store, and I'll have to replace it.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, you might be right. I'll look at those. I just expect that, in the next 2-3 years someone will slash it while I'm at the grocery store, and I'll have to replace it.
The one in my picture is only 3 months old as is the truck it's on. I had a tri-fold tonneau cover on my 2011 Ram for 5 years and never had any issues. Not sure where you're living but I live just outside our Capitol city which is not the best when it comes to crime and I actually work in the Capitol city and I've never had an issue with anyone tampering with it. In my opinion, I would rather have some d!p$h!t cut the tonneau cover to get in instead of prying beating or bending the tail gate or whatever because $200 is better than thousands in damage. Again just my opinion.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Gator roll up. It was around $200 from Amazon.
Quality is better than I expected for the price.
20210918_185307.jpg

Last edited:

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been using the Rollup brand for years. These hold up great. The one I had on my 07 ram looked like new in 17 when I sold the truck. Then purchased another one for my 17. I would of kept the cover, but my new truck has a shorter bed.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

You can try to make one out of plywood or something. Clamp a long piano hinge to the front of the bed and bolt a sheet of plywood to it so you can open it. Use the rear stake holes in the bed to secure it closed. With the cost of materials, tools and time you'll still be better off with a tonneau cover like I bought thoughView attachment 473619
What brand is this one off amazon? I wanna get one that sits on top of rails as it makes a better seal to keep water out. Theres one for $146 and another for $202 i was looking at.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What brand is this one off amazon? I wanna get one that sits on top of rails as it makes a better seal to keep water out. Theres one for $146 and another for $202 i was looking at.
The brand is called MaxMate. I never heard of this brand before but I've had it for a year now and it's still flawless. It appears they went up a few bucks since I bought it but it's still a good price Screenshot_20220723-123035_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have found that leaving roll up or hard tarps/tonneaus open when there is nothing in the box cuts way down on the aggravation factor of guys breaking tailgate handles etc to look underneath. As far as soft versus hard, none of the soft tarps are very waterproof and they don't allow you to put much above box height into the truck any how so the hard cover seems to make a lot more sense for all round use. If I want to tarp a large load of refuse, I leave the hard topper open and use a cargo net.

shopping

For loose items

4d-5b915395b88b_1.596a1dd992d13c6447ca92e2d45e1300.jpg

Last edited:

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Maybe I'm not thinking this through enough or am misunderstanding your issue. If you're concerned about preventing damage from someone looking to see if anything is in there to steal when there isn't, why don't you leave the cover open when not using it? This way no one damages it looking for something to steal from an empty bed. If you padlock a soft cover, wouldn't someone just slash it to check the contents?
That's what trailers and beer/beverage trucks do in NYC when they park in unattended yards overnight - they leave the roll-up doors open to prevent damage ("look, there's nothing to steal").

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So many on amazon, some state 5.7 or 5.8 bed others say classic and some classic and new body fitment.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So many on amazon, some state 5.7 or 5.8 bed others say classic and some classic and new body fitment.
What is your truck? I'm assuming it's a new body style Ram correct? Do you know your bed length? It's either going to be 5.7 or 6.4 bed. The only real problem will be if you have the ram box bed or the split tailgate as they are harder to find covers for. Once you know your truck you need to figure out the style of cover you want and how much you want to spend then search accordingly.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What is your truck? I'm assuming it's a new body style Ram correct? Do you know your bed length? It's either going to be 5.7 or 6.4 bed. The only real problem will be if you have the ram box bed or the split tailgate as they are harder to find covers for. Once you know your truck you need to figure out the style of cover you want and how much you want to spend then search accordingly.
2016, id guess new and old style 5.7 bed is gotta be almost the same.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I have a Gator roll up. It was around $200 from Amazon.
Quality is better than I expected for the price.
View attachment 473783

I got the same one over 2 years ago and my father also got the same as quoted above on his truck.
It seals tight and we get no water inside. I really like the fact it sits below the rail for the most part. And it has a 10 yr warranty to cover the fabric and lifetime on the frame.
Gator ETX Soft Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover | 53206 | Fits 2008 - 2016 Dodge Ram 1500, 2010-20 2500/3500 8' Bed (96.3'') https://a.co/d/aKH1JOw
20201101_173934.jpg

I took it a step further and added these inexpensive rubber grommets from Harley to the pockets inside the bed so rain or snow doesn't get in the bed.

20210312_123655.jpg
20210312_123638.jpg
20210312_121800.jpg

Last edited: