Cheap Wheel and Tire Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

e50095

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my 87 D100 for $400 with a bad trans, and after fixing that I'm starting to look at some other mods, getting rid of the lean burn, a sliding rear window, maybe a 2nd gen bench seat, etc.

My truck had good tread on all 4 tires, but they were all dryrotted and cracked, so they had to go. As you know, you can spend $600 real easy on tires alone, over $1000 if you get new wheels. I'm not that guy, so I looked around quite a bit and here's what I came up with. Ford full size vans from 1970 to 2006 have our 5x139.7 bolt pattern with 1/2" 20 thread studs.....the same as us if you have a 1986 to 1993 1/2 ton truck. I looked and found a set of really ugly Ford van aluminum wheels 16x7, with good Firestones for $100. They were hideous, and the owner told me he basically gave up on keeping them polished. The tires were all good, two of which have over half the tread. Sold. I told myself I could polish them up, but after 2 hours I understood what he was talking about, so I ditched that idea and painted them. Wheels and Tires $100, spray paint and primer $9, new chrome lug nuts $12 (ebay). Total investment $121 and a few hours.

I would never go buy these wheels new, but I wanted to let you know you can think outside the box and get a great deal. I think the 16's fill up the wheel well pretty well compared to the old 15's. Has anyone else found a great deal on some wheels? If so please share...

Soryy man, I have no idea why my pictures are sideways...

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
those are definitely some ugly rims but for the price you can't go wrong. you could probably scrap the rims for more than you paid for them and the tires. i got rims off a 90's ram van that i got for free from a neighbor. i like how they look on my 93 and the center caps even look good with stock rims
rB-_lXeB38XheGffETu5JTvEISwPjJXDf8ms=w1135-h638-no.jpg
eEBP4zD7IYzxDxoazMtdH5gxa5HSDkv_X48j6=w778-h638-no.jpg