Check Engine Light cause and effect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madz75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a question about how the CEL effects the engine and not so much about the cause:

Cause - I had a supercharger and exhaust installed recently and they had to remove the Active Shutter Grill to fit the intercooler. Shortly after I got my truck back I had the CEL. It was P1D73 which bacisally means it has checked the range of motion on the shuttuer grill motor, and the check has failed.

Effect - MDS disabled. Remote Start disabled. I can live without those but at the time I did not know the CEL was the cause. The truck was not running as well as it should have been. Gears were not changing smoothly and I would really have to boot it in 3rd to get a kickback to 2nd. I wasn't sure if it was a bad tune or a transmission problem, or what the hell was going on with it really. I knew something was up.

I have since fixed the shutter motor by restricting the range of motion and clearing the check engine light - then POW! It's like driving a different truck. All of a sudden the gear changing is smooth and the engine sounds nicer. It's like all problems have been instantly solved.

So what exacly happens when the CEL comes on? Does it put the motor into some kind of "safe" mode? Does it effect the behavior of the transmission? If anyone knows what happens I'd love to know!

Thanks - 2018 Ram 1500, Hemi 5.7

Last edited: