Check engine light on after changing spark plugs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06caurru

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,
I have a 2010 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I changed the spark plugs tonight, and after doing so, the check engine light is now on (steady, NOT flashing), and feels like it’s chugging. The plugs I removed were NGK OEM plugs that have been in the engine since I bought it brand new. I replaced them with NGK iridium plugs. Is this year range of Hemi only work with copper plugs? Am I overlooking something else? I’m not a mechanic, but am mechanically inclined . I’ve read conflicting info on the interwebs, so trying to get some clarification and some input.

Thanks in advance.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You put to much anti seize on them ;) pull them and wipe them down.

OP
OP

06caurru

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m just an idiot. I was going to tear everything apart again today, and immediately noticed an unhooked wire/connection. Reconnected that, and runs smooth now. Just gotta wait for check engine light to go off now. Thanks everyone for the replies! Sometimes it helps to just step away and/or sleep on it haha!

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m just an idiot. I was going to tear everything apart again today, and immediately noticed an unhooked wire/connection. Reconnected that, and runs smooth now. Just gotta wait for check engine light to go off now. Thanks everyone for the replies! Sometimes it helps to just step away and/or sleep on it haha!
Dont wait for it to shut off. Get it cleared

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You should still look at upgrading coil packs to run those iridiums.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You are not an idiot, and definately not the first one that has done this very thing or something similar.

Isn't it a big relief to go from the dread of thinking you're going to have to tear into something again, to spotting that one connector still unhooked?

Glad you got it sorted out.

As Burla said, look into upgrading your coil packs for the iridium plugs.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2015 or later coil packs should work I believe. But they're pricey for a full set.

OP
OP

06caurru

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I found two different TRQ brand could sets- one, I’m assuming standard, for $188, and a “performance “ set for $250. Anyone have experience with this brand?

OP
OP

06caurru

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You are not an idiot, and definately not the first one that has done this very thing or something similar.

Isn't it a big relief to go from the dread of thinking you're going to have to tear into something again, to spotting that one connector still unhooked?

Glad you got it sorted out.

As Burla said, look into upgrading your coil packs for the iridium plugs.

HUGE relief!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I found two different TRQ brand could sets- one, I’m assuming standard, for $188, and a “performance “ set for $250. Anyone have experience with this brand?
Those are a lot cheaper then blasters, which I hear some guys went with. I would do a little research on this, I believe those iridiums need more charge to run hotter, but this is just what I heard. Maybe someone with direct knowledge will chime in. The good news your plugs will last 3 times as long as the nickle, so in the long run this could pay off.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Those are a lot cheaper then blasters, which I hear some guys went with. I would do a little research on this, I believe those iridiums need more charge to run hotter, but this is just what I heard. Maybe someone with direct knowledge will chime in. The good news your plugs will last 3 times as long as the nickle, so in the long run this could pay off.
Not sure whether you can change to coil packs from a 2014+ model, but if your existing coil packs are doing the job, might be good as is.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that for all eight coils? Never heard of the brand though.

'06 Ram 2500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Consider yourself lucky. When I changed the copper plugs on my ‘06 Hemi the truck ran fine but 1 mile down the road the computer went out and I got an error message that one injector went out too. Mechanic checked my work and it was perfect. No more problems after the repair.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"Standard" brand ignition parts have been around just about forever. But like other longstanding brands they have a cheap line and a good line. Most times the cheap line is the T series.
Avoid that line. Get their better grade.
Borg Warner is another longstanding brand that used to be top notch but not as much any more.still pretty decent though.
Somewhere I had heard that one of those brands bought the other one, and even though packaging doesn't indicate this but I THINK that now a days if you buy either one you are getting the EXACT same part regardless of which brand name is actually on the box.
Hint on "Standard" if they still have the parts you need listed as "blue streak" those are actually a little better grade yet. Especially on older stuff that still runs distributor caps and rotors. Only a couple bucks more but last much longer.
My times worth more than a couple of bucks difference spent on parts, NOT to have to redo a job in short time due to cheap quality parts.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Consider yourself lucky. When I changed the copper plugs on my ‘06 Hemi the truck ran fine but 1 mile down the road the computer went out and I got an error message that one injector went out too. Mechanic checked my work and it was perfect. No more problems after the repair.
Sounds like an unfortunate coincidence.

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,
I have a 2010 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I changed the spark plugs tonight, and after doing so, the check engine light is now on (steady, NOT flashing), and feels like it’s chugging. The plugs I removed were NGK OEM plugs that have been in the engine since I bought it brand new. I replaced them with NGK iridium plugs. Is this year range of Hemi only work with copper plugs? Am I overlooking something else? I’m not a mechanic, but am mechanically inclined . I’ve read conflicting info on the interwebs, so trying to get some clarification and some input.

Thanks in advance.
You probably cracked a plug onstslling them.