Check engine light while towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wickenburg Geezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
2020 Ram 2500 6.4 hemi 11K miles

I've had a check engine light come on for a second time while towing. Here is the scenario: Doesn't come on until second or third day. Running 65 mph plus or minus. Both times it came on after a very long gradual uphill pull of 50-75 miles at altitude.

First time I found a local NAPA store that was able to pull a code saying air fuel mixture bank 2. He didn't have the updated software to give me the number. Both times it has cleared after unhitching and driving for a while. Talked with selling dealer the first time and he said it was probably a software bug and not to worry. Anybody got a clue?

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I would take it to a dealer and have it checked. If you have a bad injector causing a lean situation, that could be catastrophic to the engine.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I would not mess around with this, go have it looked at.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2020 Ram 2500 6.4 hemi 11K miles

I've had a check engine light come on for a second time while towing. Here is the scenario: Doesn't come on until second or third day. Running 65 mph plus or minus. Both times it came on after a very long gradual uphill pull of 50-75 miles at altitude.

First time I found a local NAPA store that was able to pull a code saying air fuel mixture bank 2. He didn't have the updated software to give me the number. Both times it has cleared after unhitching and driving for a while. Talked with selling dealer the first time and he said it was probably a software bug and not to worry. Anybody got a clue?
Software Bug? Really? Was that the salesman talking? Or the Service Writer? Sometimes just as bad. If it was tech/mechanic. Go to a different dealer.

Good Luck

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Software Bug? Really? Was that the salesman talking? Or the Service Writer? Sometimes just as bad. If it was tech/mechanic. Go to a different dealer.

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Go to a dealer ,have it documented incase of a serious issue down the road.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bank 2 is the even numbers 2,4,6,8 a possible injector is causing a lean situation and the O2 sensor is picking it up, Don't run it like this have the dealer check it out, This could be a catastrophic situation.

18MegaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My CEL came on while towing my 5th wheel. Along with ABS light and traction control. Then I lost the trailer brakes. It's been at the Dealer for 10 weeks now, and they still can't figure it out. Stellantis engineers and Ram Cares are also involved. They have replaced the ABS module twice, and are about to replace it a third time. What do they say about doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results? The truck is a 2018 and still under warranty.
Document your issues in case it gets worse.

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Check your lemon law in your state. If your within the timeline, make them eat it!

18MegaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Check your lemon law in your state. If your within the timeline, make them eat it!
Because of the current market with vehicles, I'm afraid I would be the one to eat it. If they gave me what I paid for my truck, I couldn't replace it. I paid $65k when MSRP was $81k. Current retail market on my truck is about $72k. I was looking at Fords yesterday. They want MSRP plus $10k. It does qualify for the Lemon Law here in CA. It qualified 6 weeks ago. If I buy a new truck, my registration goes up, and my insurance goes up. If it's not fixed this week, then I will have to look closer at this option.

OP
OP
W

Wickenburg Geezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
OP here... Went to the Dodge dealer in Cody, WY and explained the situation. He told me the code is stored away in the ECU and can be read. The problem is that it has to be in failure mode for them to diagnose and fix the problem under warranty or otherwise. So, I have to wait until the CEL comes on and drive to to a dealership before it clears which it does after a drive of 20 or so miles unhitched. This problem is very intermittent and no way seems to effect performance. I am going to take it to my selling dealer when I get home in mid August and get the code pulled and have a paper record of it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963