Check those cabin filters!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cabin filters make a big difference... Especially if you live in a big city or dusty areas. I notice a huge difference with my Audi between using a paper filter and a charcoal filter, so it is doing something for the air inside.

Also, people walking on the sidewalk are not sitting directly behind the exhaust of vehicles.

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Uh well uh keep buying those filters.
Someone has to keep those folks employed.
Not me.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It was a little dirty, lol. 2.5 years and 60k miles worth
50D83513-EED2-457B-81CA-84D70A8EF719.jpeg

OP
OP
joelmic

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
Last edited:

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d rather buy a $20 cabin filter once a year, than pull the dash to replace a caked up evaporator or heater core. But, you know, your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yup after a couple million miles of driving with none those problems it is still my choice.
By all means use them.

Geo Ling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
:anitoof::anitoof::anitoof::anitoof::anitoof::Big Laugh:
Damn. OVER a hundred years of cars on the road and now someone came up with a money making scam to sell cabin air filters.....if only I had thought of that 50 years ago.......
So it's filtering the same air coming into the truck that the people walking on the sidewalk are breathing.
Slow cab air flow? Pull the filter and chuck it out. Crank the window down a bit and save your money.

patmanz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I change mine yearly. I set a calendar reminder on my phone a week ahead and I order another one for around 15 bucks on amazon. Mine is a 16 so it had the door factory, but no filter. I drive in dusty/smelly areas often and the filter helped immensely. At 13-15 a pop and a five-minute job 2 times a year would not be too out of the question.

Rodney Washington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETourque
Funny story, my boss goes to get his oil changed at the dealer and afterwards the tech comes out with the cabin filter in his hand showing how dirty it was. My boss asks how much to change it and was told 60. He then asked how much was the filter was and told 20. He said put it back in and bought the filter and installed it himself. If they want us to use the service department they should be more reasonable. 25 would probably work for most people, or how about free install since its a 5 minute job.

Darr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some of you guys must drive in pretty dirty conditions. My 2012 didn't even come with a cabin filter provision, and it seems fine after 160k miles. My family has older cars (80's and 90's) that never had a filter and don't have any problems. I think it's just another way to pry a few $$$ out of your wallet.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I bought a used 17 that came from California. I live outside of Houston and an air filter lasts about 5 oil changes. I bought the truck in December, but the next week we had warm weather on a Sunday and the AC wasn't working. I was going to return the truck, but since I didn't have anything else to do I started looking at different things. The cabin air filter was completely clogged with California dust. I had one I had bought for my 13 that I never needed so I put it in and voila! Great AC. I then checked the engine air filter and it was clogged too. A trip to Walmart and I am good for a couple of years at least. It depends on where you drive. I was surprised to see the dust caked in every area, it's even between the bed liner and the bed.

OP
OP
joelmic

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
Wow, as far as I know my 2014 RAM does NOT have a cabin filter. Wish it did.

I saw somewhere you can ADD one... it was cheap too... included the frame and cover...
All I thought about was 'using a vibrating tool' was the only possible way to cut the whole.
now I wish I would have bookmarked that page

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You have to drop the lower glovebox out of the way to access the cabin filter door.
You probably don't have a cabin filter on a 2015. I had a 2015 Laramie Eco diesel and it didn't have one from the factory. You can get and install one from genos garage. They are on line and specialize in parts for Ram!

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah weird the 4th gens some have the filter some don’t. There is a cutout apparently in the models that don’t have the filter door and the door can be had relatively cheap. Pretty easy mod. One would think if it was so necessary FCA would put it in all the models. Mine came with.
As a side note, my son took wife’s Jeep in for an oil change and despite me telling him to just get the oil change nothing more they dinged him $50 plus tax to change the cabin air filter. More than petty thievery dirty ********. Lol I have a filter in my shop that I hadn’t installed yet. Too (lazy) busy I guess.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 has one. The first time I went to change it, I saw the price of a decent filter (Fram "fresh" or whatever it was), sucked it up once and bought the K&N reusable for $35.

Since I DO believe in replacing them yearly, I figure after 2 or 3 years Im ahead of the game, all I need to do is pull the K&N out and clean it. Makes it a lot easier than "oh crap I have to go buy a new replacement".