Check your intake manifold bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
This hasn't been talked about for awhile,but check your intake manifold bolts.They call for 108 in-lbs or roughly 9 ft-lbs of torque,and they should be checked at least yearly,as they do loosen up. I've been doing mine at least twice a year on all 3 of of my hemi equipped vehicles.They should be checked and torqued when the engine is cold.I just use my calibrated hand and a 1/4" drive rachet / 6" extension and 5/16's socket and just give them a twist by hand,but if you don't trust your hand,an inch lb torque wrench should be used.There's 10 of them on 5.7's and 6.4's. I've done them enough,i know the torque sequence ,but if you don't know the sequence it's easy enough to look up
Thank you Wild One. Just checked my wifes Cherokee today. 2020 with less than 30,000 miles. Just like most, they were quite loose. Not finger loose but nowhere near the right torque. Was getting so many turns I thought there was something wrong with my finger torque wrench. Actually dug out the real thing and set them to 11 ft lbs, which was still another 1/4 turn on most of them. Vehicle was runnimg fine, no rough idle etc so be interesting to see if it makes any difference, or they weren't quite loose enough yet to have an impact.

Anybody seen this same pattern on the 6.4?

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you for the heads up. My '15 Ram will be delivered to me tomorrow. I wonder what the odds are the bolts have NOT been checked. This baby has just under 40,000 miles. Just like my marriage, having a Hemi is worth the extra effort to maintain. RedSRT4Me was even kind enough to share the torque pattern. Talk about easy peasey

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thank you Wild One. Just checked my wifes Cherokee today. 2020 with less than 30,000 miles. Just like most, they were quite loose. Not finger loose but nowhere near the right torque. Was getting so many turns I thought there was something wrong with my finger torque wrench. Actually dug out the real thing and set them to 11 ft lbs, which was still another 1/4 turn on most of them. Vehicle was runnimg fine, no rough idle etc so be interesting to see if it makes any difference, or they weren't quite loose enough yet to have an impact.

Yupper!

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Would putting Loctite on those bolts stop the issue? Or by doing so cause another problem?

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Would putting Loctite on those bolts stop the issue? Or by doing so cause another problem?
This seems less of a bolt backing out kind of issue and more of a design flaw/gasket compressing more and more as time and re-tightening goes on that adding loctite probably won't prevent having to re-do this until there's just so much gasket compressed you have to replace the intake manifold gaskets.

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This seems less of a bolt backing out kind of issue and more of a design flaw/gasket compressing more and more as time and re-tightening goes on that adding loctite probably won't prevent having to re-do this until there's just so much gasket compressed you have to replace the intake manifold gaskets.
Good enough reason to keep Loctite on the shelf, and do some simple maintenance from time to time

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Good enough reason to keep Loctite on the shelf, and do some simple maintenance from time to time
when and if you do, you should see some of the factory "loctite" i think is orange if you were to back those bolts out. It sounds like nobody accounted for the issue of the intake gaskets compressing to the point the bolts have to be tightened over and over because maybe the bolts backing out isn't really the problem.

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
when and if you do, you should see some of the factory "loctite" i think is orange if you were to back those bolts out. It sounds like nobody accounted for the issue of the intake gaskets compressing to the point the bolts have to be tightened over and over because maybe the bolts backing out isn't really the problem.
Addressing the problem before the Ram leaves assembly would make too much sense. But then again it seems like every manufacture pushes the problem on down the line leaving the customer to deal with the issue. this is not just Ram or automotive related manufacturers. Every industry deals with issues the same way

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

The wifes 6.4 Challenger has the same problem. I'm in the habit of checking them fairly often,if i can twist a couple by hand with a 5/16" nutdriver,it's time to go over them.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The wifes 6.4 Challenger has the same problem. I'm in the habit of checking them fairly often,if i can twist a couple by hand with a 5/16" nutdriver,it's time to go over them.
Was kind hoping that wasn't the case. Wifes Cherokee I can stand on a milk crate and reach easily. My 2500 is so friggin tall a milk crate is needed just to check the oil but I need a step ladder if I have to actually add oil. I am also very unimpressed with the crappy design of the oil cap, it is a big step backwards from just being able to unscrew it. No good reason for lousy access like that, my 96 2500 I could stand on the ground and do both. Checking the intake manifold is going to be a pain in the ass.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Was kind hoping that wasn't the case. Wifes Cherokee I can stand on a milk crate and reach easily. My 2500 is so friggin tall a milk crate is needed just to check the oil but I need a step ladder if I have to actually add oil. I am also very unimpressed with the crappy design of the oil cap, it is a big step backwards from just being able to unscrew it. No good reason for lousy access like that, my 96 2500 I could stand on the ground and do both. Checking the intake manifold is going to be a pain in the ass.

Do what I do - get a kid to do it for you. It's kinda expensive, with the amount they eat as payment, though.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a few step ladders,but i think this 3 step one is my favorite if i need a bit more height then a milk crate provides.
Keep an eye on Crappy Tires sales,as they'll put it on sale every once inawhile.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have a few step ladders,but i think this 3 step one is my favorite if i need a bit more height then a milk crate provides.
Keep an eye on Crappy Tires sales,as they'll put it on sale every once inawhile.

Have one of these that I carry in the box full time, good for getting in and out of the box and also makes a good chair. Works good for the engine compartment too.

Like my Dad always said, getting old isn't for pu$$ie$*.

Attachments

• 1708643822955.jpeg
    1708643822955.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Do what I do - get a kid to do it for you. It's kinda expensive, with the amount they eat as payment, though.
Things have changed since i was kid,back then if you offered up a box of beer,you'd have a 1/2 dozen 16 years olds over to change an engine, Food you could always buy at 16,beer not so much,lol

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

I got a similar one to that - I threatened to get an engine creeper, but the boys caught wind from their blabbler-mouthed mother and threatened me with violence, so I backed off.

For now.

Forsakentalon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oops. Should have re-read instructions again. Retorqued while engine was warm. Only went to 95in-lbs though. Yes, every one was loose took multiple turns to tighten.

2017 1500, 80k miles and 2600 hours.

Thanks for adding another maintenance item. Wife is now complaining I ****** my truck more than I do her. And it's all the fault of you guys!