Chevron techron vs. sea foam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
For years I've run the techron in the fuel systems of my vehicles periodically. Reading the reviews it seems that both are highly rated. Sea foam seems a little cheaper. What do you folks run and why?
thanks

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Redline S1

Amsoil P.I.

Gumout with PEA.

In that order

Through the fuel system you need to run a cleaner that has as much PEA as you can find. Currently redline and Amsoil make the ones with the highest concentration.

PEA additive is the absolute best cleaner you can run through your gas tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Seafoam this still a good product but it is basically a mixture of petroleum distillates Cleans “ok” but there are better choices for sure

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I mainly use these 3 in the other family autos.

In NO particular order.

1. Schaeffers Neutra
2. Red Line SI-1
3. Gumout One-N-Done

I also add 6-8oz Pennzoil Marine (XLF) TC-W3!

I used to use Techron but gained knowledge that the additive just does not contain as much PEA as other brands.

I do feel: Adding any product with any amount of PEA gives a **** owner just a good piece of mind.
Even though running Ethanol fuel has showed to keep the entire fuel system extremely clean.

My son & I replaced the spark plugs on my daughters 2012 Edge w/114K miles. The plugs still looked to be in decent shape but each plug was virtually spotless!

She has run gas with ethanol since she began college (4yrs).
This tells me the combustion chamber looks very similar.
I was only able to add the Gumout / TC-W3 every 4-6 weeks when she come home!
Over those 4 years - her 3.5L V6 has received multiple doses of Scheaffers & RL.

Mind you: Every individual owner has their own opinions/thoughts on adding gasoline additives.
I have MINE.

For regular / everday use: I personally would use Techron over Seafoam (anyday).

Of course when or if Ram changes over to DI engines this BS is all out the door!

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Process is more important then product, sea foams process is the best, but you have to do it through the vacuum lines. It is the most effective way to clean combustion chamber but does nothing for injectors. If you want a good long term solution get a PEA cleaner and use it a lot prior to your oil change, like 3 or 4 tanks in a row. If you want a one shot best chance at cleaning use sea foam through combustion chamber.

Here's the thing, before carbon becomes burnt on carbon it is a slimey oooze, pea cleaners will wipe that away with ease, but will have a harder time with burnt on carbon. It still will work, but it is time consuming. The difference is one is a detergent (PEA) and one is a solvent (Sea Foam). So gas is a solvent as well, so adding a solvent to a solvent wont do much, but adding a detergent will, that is why every gas has detergents, because they work. Now, adding a solvent right on the carbon deposit is a great option for cleaning carbon quicker, and it just burns off when you start the truck.

Depends on what you want clean the most and what you are willing to do to get it.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Process is more important then product, sea foams process is the best, but you have to do it through the vacuum lines. It is the most effective way to clean combustion chamber but does nothing for injectors. If you want a good long term solution get a PEA cleaner and use it a lot prior to your oil change, like 3 or 4 tanks in a row. If you want a one shot best chance at cleaning use sea foam through combustion chamber.

Here's the thing, before carbon becomes burnt on carbon it is a slimey oooze, pea cleaners will wipe that away with ease, but will have a harder time with burnt on carbon. It still will work, but it is time consuming. The difference is one is a detergent (PEA) and one is a solvent (Sea Foam). So gas is a solvent as well, so adding a solvent to a solvent wont do much, but adding a detergent will, that is why every gas has detergents, because they work. Now, adding a solvent right on the carbon deposit is a great option for cleaning carbon quicker, and it just burns off when you start the truck.

Depends on what you want clean the most and what you are willing to do to get it.

Great post

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Oh yeah, PEA or techron of course is just the same detergent Chevron and other top tier gases use. So when you add a PEA cleaner, you are just adding more of what is there. It is widely believed top tier may not be enough to keep combustion chamber clean. Proof is in the boroscope's that consistently find carbon in combustion chamber. Shell uses Nitrogen, probably because after Chevron killed it with Techron they had to develop another high quality detergent or pay Chevron to use theirs. Modern day Shell is known to be the best gas, if not top 2 or 3 anyway you look at it.

OP
OP
sandawilliams

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Oh yeah, PEA or techron of course is just the same detergent Chevron and other top tier gases use. So when you add a PEA cleaner, you are just adding more of what is there. It is widely believed top tier may not be enough to keep combustion chamber clean. Proof is in the boroscope's that consistently find carbon in combustion chamber. Shell uses Nitrogen, probably because after Chevron killed it with Techron they had to develop another high quality detergent or pay Chevron to use theirs. Modern day Shell is known to be the best gas, if not top 2 or 3 anyway you look at it.

But if I only buy their regular gas grade do I still get the same additives?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes, research top tier all gas has detergents, top tier has the most, even low option. But if someone feels comfortable with that, i would say look at the boroscope video's out there.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Actually Yamaha ring free is 50 - 70 % pea, it’s hidden as “base oils”

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Redline S1

Amsoil P.I.

Gumout with PEA.

In that order

Through the fuel system you need to run a cleaner that has as much PEA as you can find. Currently redline and Amsoil make the ones with the highest concentration.

PEA additive is the absolute best cleaner you can run through your gas tank.

At what gas tank levels do you usually run these 3 products?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Marsh.

Dump these in when you are at the pump BEFORE you fill up.

Follow the directions on the bottle at a minimum. With S1 I will do either their 1/2 dose directions or full bottle (directions may be on Redlines website now I don’t remember). Same with Amsoil P.I.

Gummout has a little less PEA than those 2 so I will do 1 to a full tank of gas but i do it more often. Like every 3rd tank if gas. Redline and Amsoil make a better product though. I would follow their directions on frequency. I think both say 3000 miles but double check.

This is all JMO.

Im no expert. [emoji23]

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Marsh.

Dump these in when you are at the pump BEFORE you fill up.

Follow the directions on the bottle at a minimum. With S1 I will do either their 1/2 dose directions or full bottle (directions may be on Redlines website now I don’t remember). Same with Amsoil P.I.

Gummout has a little less PEA than those 2 so I will do 1 to a full tank of gas but i do it more often. Like every 3rd tank if gas. Redline and Amsoil make a better product though. I would follow their directions on frequency. I think both say 3000 miles but double check.

This is all JMO.

Im no expert. [emoji23]

Thanks, they all say to use with about 20 gallons, so I will just go with that. I'll be starting with the redline 1st!

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
For years I've run the techron in the fuel systems of my vehicles periodically. Reading the reviews it seems that both are highly rated. Sea foam seems a little cheaper. What do you folks run and why?
thanks
Seafoam for induction cleaning, not fuel tank. Every 3 -6 months as idle gets rough, or if I forget and let my catch can overflow. Tehy sell one with a little red straw for TB application.
Techron for fuel system and injector cleaning about every oil change.
Hemi is not direct injected, but Techron is not going to clean all the blow-by from PCV sucked into intake and across operating temp intake valves.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
CRC intake valve and turbo cleaner is better than Seafoam. If it’s going through the intake. There’s a few vids online and when I did before and after with a Borescope it performed way better.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
CRC intake valve and turbo cleaner is better than Seafoam. If it’s going through the intake. There’s a few vids online and when I did before and after with a Borescope it performed way better.

Never heard of it, but I would agree that sea foam's process is why it is so good. It seams to me you can buy something that cleans better and if used the same process can beat sea foam. The cleaner in sea foam is just alcohol, it seams to me if you use a stronger solvent with the same method you would get even better results. Now, sea foam is still great ****, and pretty safe to use.

I don't know what to make if the product you suggested msds. Seams like butane and diesel number 2 and some solvent. I can't say if it is better then sea foam, but I'd say it has the potential to be. I think it would be great if there was even a better product, like a strong solvent in a high % delivered the same way.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Never heard of it, but I would agree that sea foam's process is why it is so good. It seams to me you can buy something that cleans better and if used the same process can beat sea foam. The cleaner in sea foam is just alcohol, it seams to me if you use a stronger solvent with the same method you would get even better results. Now, sea foam is still great ****, and pretty safe to use.

I don't know what to make if the product you suggested msds. Seams like butane and diesel number 2 and some solvent. I can't say if it is better then sea foam, but I'd say it has the potential to be. I think it would be great if there was even a better product, like a strong solvent in a high % delivered the same way.

I love me some seafoam, but it seems like this stuff has been doing a better job on the last couple of vehicles we used it on. My fathers 2500 made a nice little smoke show after like 90k miles of no catch can and a few treatments of this via the TB with the snake hose thing. It also got the TB and what I could see of the intake through the TB remarkably clean for not taking it off and cleaning it by hand.

https://www.solidstart.com/SDS/TA228_SDS.pdf

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I love me some seafoam, but it seems like this stuff has been doing a better job on the last couple of vehicles we used it on. My fathers 2500 made a nice little smoke show after like 90k miles of no catch can and a few treatments of this via the TB with the snake hose thing. It also got the TB and what I could see of the intake through the TB remarkably clean for not taking it off and cleaning it by hand.

https://www.solidstart.com/SDS/TA228_SDS.pdf

That my friend is exactly what I am talking about! That is an impressive product, a bunch of solvents! Burla likey.

Where can you get it? Too bad that is some off brand thing, that is good science.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That my friend is exactly what I am talking about! That is an impressive product, a bunch of solvents! Burla likey.

Where can you get it? Too bad that is some off brand thing, that is good science.

I get mine via a whole sale distributor and I've noticed its hard as hell to find outside of shops that carry their products or finding a distributor that will actually sell it to you. It's actually one of the products I may start selling next year if I can get an inventory management and shipping system ironed out that won't take up all my free time (Still gotta work after all) since I already have the sourcing connections.