Chevy Silverado ZR2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone looked at Chevy’s new Silverado ZR2?

Lift blocks on the leafs and no skid plate on the fuel tank. Couldn’t redesign the suspension for off road? Seems like a knee jerk reaction to the Raptor, Power Wagon, Tremor and TRX.

Took a regular Silverado added some diff lockers, stupid crazy expensive front shocks and said here’s your off-road purpose built truck.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The ZR2 is competing in the space between the TRX/Raptor, and the Rebel/Tremor/trd Pro. Kind of a head scratcher, but there is no way this thing was designed to go head to head with the likes of the TRX with a N/A 6.2 and a much cheaper price tag.

It's a good truck when you consider what you get for what you pay. Just don't put it up against the TRX and it makes more sense when comparing it against what else you can get for the money you pay.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ZR2 is competing in the space between the TRX/Raptor, and the Rebel/Tremor/trd Pro. Kind of a head scratcher, but there is no way this thing was designed to go head to head with the likes of the TRX with a N/A 6.2 and a much cheaper price tag.

It's a good truck when you consider what you get for what you pay. Just don't put it up against the TRX and it makes more sense when comparing it against what else you can get for the money you pay.
How does it compare to the Raptor?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Raptor is a stronger offroad truck, definitely more power than the ZR2 but probably better suspension bits etc too.

The ZR2 is running the standard 6.2 from GM with the 10 speed that they offer in their more expensive trims. It's a great drivetrain, and top of the line if you don't want forced induction. But in terms of raw hp/torque it's down vs the Raptor.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been checking out the ZR2 lately on Youtube.
I like it more and more.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do like the Multimatic DSSV dampers,they do a great job on the Colorado.

This truck is priced much lower than the TRX, and a little cheaper than the Raptor. So we need to take that into account where it falls short with suspension and power. It is not much more expensive than the next highest trim level from chevy. I think its a decent effort to try to put it in its own class price wise. Perfect for the pavement pounder that will occaisonally go off road for camping or hunting and have more than enough capability for that. It will not perform off road like the Raptor or TRX but I do not think that was the intent.

I am sure they took a lot of knowledge from the Colorado ZR2 which is a good thing. The Colorado ZR2 is very capable for what it is.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

It doesn't really. It's more comparable to the Tremor. Maybe slotting between the two. Raptor will kick it's backside in about any metric you choose, other than "fits in somewhat narrower places" and "V8 noises". It's the first recent GM truck the interior doesn't make you want to poke your eyes, though, and it does have a real front locker. Not sure how valuable that is on a full size truck, where are you going to use it that you can fit this behemoth where the difference between the Torsen and a real locker matters, but it's there.

It's interesting, and I like the 6.2L a lot, but ultimately it's not something I'm interested in. Tremor is cheaper and pretty much on par capabilities wise (with more range, and range = options) and Raptor is more capable.

I like the concept of the Raptor, it's just too big to fit in places I want to fit sometimes. I'm cautiously excited about the upcoming Ranger Raptor.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do like the Multimatic DSSV dampers,they do a great job on the Colorado.

I think its a decent effort to try to put it in its own class price wise. Perfect for the pavement pounder. It will not perform off road like the Raptor or TRX but I do not think that was the intent.
Exactly why I like it so much.
Priced well and a pretty bad ass machine for pavement pounding. LOL Only off-roading I will do is when I drive over dirt on the road.
:***:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Exactly why I like it so much.
Priced well and a pretty bad ass machine for pavement pounding. LOL Only off-roading I will do is when I drive over dirt on the road.
:***:

If I was going to pavement pound in a Chevy, it'd be the RST. Same 6.2L is available, much more street oriented, quick, can sex it up a little with some of the packages. The 6.2L is real easy to modify for stoopid levels of power as well if merely stupid isn't enough for you. It's a good looking truck for a Chevy. Which is kind of a back handed compliment, but that's kind of where I am with GM these days.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I was going to pavement pound in a Chevy, it'd be the RST. Same 6.2L is available, much more street oriented, quick, can sex it up a little with some of the packages. The 6.2L is real easy to modify for stoopid levels of power as well if merely stupid isn't enough for you. It's a good looking truck for a Chevy. Which is kind of a back handed compliment, but that's kind of where I am with GM these days.
I agree. The RST is a very nice truck. Right below the "top dog", but I like the ZR2.
It's got the "looks" and the performance all in one. Great looking truck. I even like the TrailBoss trucks as well.

Although, I still think that the Ram trucks are top of the heap.

OP
OP

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can’t get a 6.2 in the RST just a 5.3 and 3.0 for the 4x2.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
You can’t get a 6.2 in the RST just a 5.3 and 3.0 for the 4x2.

You can with 4WD.

6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine
10-speed automatic transmission with Electronic Precision shift and front bucket seats
MSRP from $57,860 †