Child Car Seat Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I'm in the market for a pick-up truck and was hoping to get some help.
I'm torn between the GMC Canyon Denali and the Ram Big Horn. With rebates/discounts, both are comparably priced. Otherwise a full size would be a bit out of my price range once equipped how I want it.

So my question is regarding child car seats. Does anyone know if it's possible to put a car seat on one side, and one in the middle, leaving space for one behind the driver (as well as being able to fold up the short portion of the 60/40 folding backseat? This would be a huge selling point for me. I'm coming out of a car so losing the "trunk" is a bit of a concern. A buddy of mine went from a car to a Tacoma and he uses his back seat as his trunk so having that extra space on the side would be helpful.

Thanks!

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes there are mounting points for the middle and side seats, and there is plenty of room to do so. You will not be able to fold up the seat as the passenger side is the 60 part of the split so once you put a seat youre done with that Jazz. You will be able to lift the driver side.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I can't speak for the all new 2019's or a 60/40 rear seat, but I've had 2 car seats in my 2017 Ram 1500 quad cab with room to spare. A crew cab would obviously be better and the way to go with multiple child seats. The thing with baby seats is they are not all created equal. Some are massive and mount up awkward into certain vehicles. It's best to try before you buy.

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 Quad Cab with the front bench seat option. The rear has options for car seat on either side or the middle. As stated above with a car seat in the middle you won’t be able to flip up the front seat but my kiddos are all in boosters so I have full functions as far a 6 seats goes.

OP
OP
F

Frankd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Thanks for the replies! My wife has a Honda Odyssey and while there are attachment points for 3 car seats, only 2 of them actually fit in the second row. but the Ram is wider so I'm hoping I can put one behind the passenger, one in the center, and be able to flip up the seat behind the driver (or wherever the smaller flip up seat is). The car seats I have seem to be pretty wide but I guess I can always find smaller car seats without all that annoying safety padding stuff. lol.
This will be my first pickup truck so I'm pretty excited about everything (except the fuel economy). Always wanted a pick up... don't really need one but once I buy it I can get rid of my small trailer that I use for towing my bike/ATV, etc.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have put three seats across the back in my '17 Big Horn Crew Cab no problem. With the under floor storage, and the under seat storage, you should be able store what you need, and leave both sides down. Or put a plastic bin of some sort in the bed to carry other stuff.

You will never fit three seats across in a Canyon.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
I have had Crew Cab trucks since my 3rd kid was born. I only have one left in a booster now but yes you could fit 2 car seats on the 60 side and leave the 40 side open to flip up or if you have just a booster there it is easy enough to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I traded in a GMC Canyon because the of the interior room or lack of. We have a couple of grandkids still use car seats and when they are used you have to slide the front seats forward in order fit the car seats in the back seat.

I ended up with a 2019 Ram eTorque. If you buy an eTorque you’ll have only have tie downs for two baby seats, which is enough for us. The ETorques don’t have any tie down straps on the rear passenger side.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I traded in my quad cab for a crew because the only way I could get a rear facing convertible seat in was to put it in the middle spot. At which point it was almost in the front seat.. The Crew cab as stated will 100% fir 3 seats, forward or rear facing with space between. There should be no question between a Canyon and a Ram Big Horn. The Big Horn would be the equivalent of a loaded XLT. I am betting you will even have the same option as a Denali in a Canyon, also a 1500 would be considered a "full size truck". Get the Ram you will not regret it.

I was torn in the beginning of getting a full size or a Tacoma. But unfortunately those smaller trucks are pretty much the same price as a half ton, and will much less capability. Unless parking, and fuel economy (Which is not much difference) maters to you then get a half ton

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just FYI, there will likely be an inch or 2 of overhang from the car seat in the middle if its used rear facing. I cant remember if there was over hang when it faced forward. My boy is in a booster seat now.

*edit* assuming the shape of the rear seat is the same as the 60/40 in my '12.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Just FYI, there will likely be an inch or 2 of overhang from the car seat in the middle if its used rear facing. I cant remember if there was over hang when it faced forward. My boy is in a booster seat now.

*edit* assuming the shape of the rear seat is the same as the 60/40 in my '12.

In the 19’s all 3 seats are the same now. There is no more “cut in” on the middle seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Can only fit a child seat behind the driver / passenger in a crew cab. I'm forced to put the child seat in the middle seat of my quad and it goes out over the center console between the front seats.

There are also no tie downs in the middle seat so you have to secure using the seat belt.

jgallo2448

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Have a 2017 crew cab and put a car seat in the middle. Works fine!
If you are worried about a trunk, a bed cover makes the bed an extra large trunk.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk