Chipmunks in engine bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kdm2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I fight them off by spraying the battery cover and hood lining with Raid a couple times a year. They still terrorize my neighbours but don’t come near my truck.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
I've had mouse/rat damage to my cars living here in the woods. Now I open the hood whenever the truck is going to sit for a while, especially overnight. No evidence of any damage or infestations since. As for the air intake, I cut some 1/2" hardware cloth and put it inside the tubing so no entry by varmits.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Checking engine compartment today and seen the battery shield was all ripped up. Started looking with light and found a nest on the passenger side made with the shield cover plus. Chewed some of the wires also. Had problems with mustang before with chipmunks as they are around my yard. To big to park inside and have tried sprays, dryer sheets etc. Bait bars and a 20 ga works but don’t solve the problem Any ideas please
I have replaced three positive post covers. Some critter lust loves these things. There is a back order and now I drive with out the positive post being covered. There must be something in the cover that critters love.

Jim Flaherty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pine squirrels chewed through a wire that activates an injector. Check the air box, that was the nest site. Consider adding hardware cloth.

8_ball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Here's my ruthless barn cat named Peanut. Chipmunks, squirrels and all other pest eliminator. He never misses a single one. He always behead them off...

3IcOALt.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lysol also works well to keep most critters at bay, bears included (folks hereabouts soak a rag with Lysol and attach it to their garbage cans).

DRam2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5 gallon bucket filled about halfway with water, cover the surface of the water with birdseed. They think it’s solid bottom with the seed covering the water surface, then it’s to Davy Jones locker.

BruceA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had the same problem in my 2019 RAM Big Horn.... Got a couple bags of Moth Balls and tied them to each side of firewall. Took them out when I needed to use the truck and put them back in when it was parked in my driveway... The nest I had was really big and laid on top of my engine, and they also chewed the cover half off the battery. After using the Moth Balls for a week, no sign of any further activity. Could be worth a try.....

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Irish Spring Original Scent bar soap. Repels mice and rats might work on the tree variety varmints as well.
And I like it too…….

BuxtonMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Call me cruel, but I trap them in a hav-a-hart trap, them shoot them. Ironic I know. But with a little patience you can really whittle down the population.

Roncad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Rat Zapper" electrocution chamber is really effective for rats, mice, and some chipmunks...............all stopping the damage to my trucks, cars, and trailers. Got tired of repairing wiring after I replaced a eaten oxygen sensor wire with a new one just to have it eaten the same night! Irish Spring original soap smells great on me but they hate the smell and stay away. After I put a partial bar of it near the Rat Zapper they stayed away from that. My leftover worn bars are now distributed all over the property and the critters and many insects are GONE! Plus, no mice or rats, no rattlesnakes for 2 years.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Same problem here! They chewed thru my 4 wheel drive harness which was over $250. Then I put an Ultrasonic/strobe pictured after I found a nest on the front corner underneath the hood on the battery side. And they did use the battery protector felt to make the nest. So I have that and I also sprinkled cinnamon all over the felt that was left. So far so good. But now I am using the truck almost everyday which doesn’t give them a chance to do anything. So who the heck knows! Do I really need to keep the felt around the battery? Otherwise I will take it out.View attachment 494273

You can take the battery felt out if it never gets cold in WI ;), WI can get cold in the winter, that felt can help protect the battery during the winter time so I would leave it in and or replace if badly damaged, I replaced them in my 2006, it did not cost all that much when ordered on line...

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Call me cruel, but I trap them in a hav-a-hart trap, them shoot them. Ironic I know. But with a little patience you can really whittle down the population.
Actually, in New York state it is against the law to live transport animals and release. (Ask me how I know!) Unless you release them a fair distance away, they'll be back.

In the past few years I've used a trap called a Tomcat that I get from Country Max (local farm store). I use a little peanut butter as bait. It has not failed me yet.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 70550 miles

Mbi777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can take the battery felt out if it never gets cold in WI ;), WI can get cold in the winter, that felt can help protect the battery during the winter time so I would leave it in and or replace if badly damaged, I replaced them in my 2006, it did not cost all that much when ordered on line...

Bad Tiki

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
After moving to a rural property (middle of a corn field) every vehicle has been chewed up.
For me it’s Red Squirrels (demons from hell) and chipmunks .
I’ve been told it’s due to using a soy based fibers in the insulation and wiring. I have tried every method conceived to stop them (hot sauce , peppermint , dryer sheets, mouse traps, electronic gizmos etc etc). Nothing works. I’ve even removed my hood liner and left it out in the hope that would satisfy them.
Only trapping and lead poisoning works!

The thing is, wife’s cars (Lexus , Toyota ) they never touch. Just my Ford, Chev, Dodge…. Pic is old Raptor on highway, it popped out91B261B2-D1BC-4A3D-9D40-400066CEB59C.png

Bad Tiki

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
Actually, in New York state it is against the law to live transport animals and release. (Ask me how I know!) Unless you release them a fair distance away, they'll be back.

The ones I trapped, go to highway gas station rest stop , look for car with window open headed to Toronto (Liberal city).