Chrome Clad Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn! The bare wheels look good enough as is, I would be tempted to clear coat and leave it alone.

I think they look great as is, and I haven’t liked aluminum wheels since I owned my 67 Mustang.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Good to see whats behind the clad. Seems like a cheap option to de-chrome the wheels on the cheap. Never use a razor!! You can get the same plastic interior pry set at harbor freight for less than $5 in case anyone wants to know.

I would get the the tires removed and blast the wheels and recoat them in the color you want. Even if you love the silver you could get them recoated.

I personally dont see the point in removing the clad... just get another set of wheels lol. Your still stuck with the OEM wheel design (not like the clad changed the design). OEM puts chrome clad bc a polished wheel thats cleared will NOT hold up as well as chromed plastic (specifically in the winter months). Its the way Chrysler was able to get the masses a "shiny" rim that was always shiny... doesn't corrode like a polished wheel does in the winter with salt. Then the powder coat protects the actual wheel ALOT better than if it was again polished and cleared. Gotta remember that 90% of the people who buy cars dont even wash them or take care of them. So they found a way to get something to look alot more expensive than it is to actual make (always trying to save a buck).

I would have left the clad but thats up to you. I have my stock 18 laramaie wheels on now (same as the OP) in the clad glory. Once winter is over I swap to my 22" Hellcat replicas for the looks I want with actual summer tires. The winter and salt here would destroy my 22s rather quickly. I also think the Limited wheels are pretty nice looking on the cheap with the painted inserts (match the truck of course).

wheels-goodyear-tires-only-862-miles-them-img_0722.jpg

Nice job OP, now get them painted to fix the scratches.

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Quick update: I was derailed a bit with family visiting for the holidays, but back at it today. All 4 wheels are de-chromed and adhesive removed. Adhesive removal got easier and more efficient as I progressed, but is definitely the hard part of this project

Underneath the chrome sits a pair of FINISHED aluminum wheels that are shaped and formed exactly as the chrome cover exhibits. Why FCA covers a perfectly good set of finished aluminum wheels with cheap plastic, I will never know. Those hub caps...let's call a spade a spade...are an absolute disgrace for a $48k or more vehicle. If you want an aluminum wheel look, operate very carefully as you remove the adhesive. I recommend plastic scraping tools and abrasives like a mild brillo pad (blue rather than green). It is possible to remove the covers and simply roll with the existing wheels. Since I'm painting mine, I used a razor (which did some damage to the aluminum finish that I will need some filling primer to correct), wire brush and a green pad. Plastic tools like MotivTools interior plastic removal tools are great for getting adhesive off of the ridges along the edge of the rim. Use WD-40 or Goo Gone to soften up the adhesive before you go to town on it. I removed the first wheel I worked on, but did the remaining 3 while still on the truck.

Next step is degrease and clean to prep for paint. I may venture to accomplish this tomorrow and Tuesday, but way more likely this weekend. View attachment 150638 View attachment 150639

Do you have to get new center caps after taking off the clads? Trying to research before I do this. And have you thought about plastidip for the wheels? Thanks.

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sub'd - especially for information on what to use for Center Caps.

AND, to OP, are the Laramie wheel center openings larger enough without the plastic to fit the spare tire toggle ? Would be nice to have a real spare on a same-size rim.

Thanks !

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hope it looks good got them on my 16 Laramie looks like tons of double face tape that holds on the plastic cover how about maybe a heat gun to remove it?

Joe_Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am also curious about the center caps. Did you ever figure anything out?

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
hope it looks good got them on my 16 Laramie looks like tons of double face tape that holds on the plastic cover how about maybe a heat gun to remove it?

It is not double face tape, it's more like liquid nails. When I did one it was a *****! Used and industrial hot gun to try to soften and it didn't work. Prying did nothing but bend the hell out of it and got to the point I took some vise-grips to hold and pulled like a SOB.

I don't know how they are plastic, when pulling it up it tore like a thick soda can. They are more like chromed aluminium. Def not like the grille where it snaps. I can't find the pics.

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
what did you ever do about the center caps? im in this same boat now and havent found anything about the center caps