CHRYSLER HEMI ENGINE TICKING NOISE CAUSES LAWSUIT

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FCA announced the end of hemi engines some time ago,so this engine is on death row and I really doubt of any chance take them to court for hemi tick,in Australia they hemi owners try hard to build up a case against FCA for recalls ,but as far I know they go nowhere .

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Class actions lawsuits almost never compensate the plaintiffs their loss. Usually the reward for loss is spread across all plaintiffs minus the fat fee from the liars, Uh- I mean lawyers. So hang on for a check for $75 bux.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m ignorant in regards to what the difference is between smaller vs larger oil filter. What would the benefit be? I guess it could also help changing the filter on oil changes because it’s longer, but I guess it could also lower the oil PSI due to its larger size? Still not sure how I trust RP’s quality even on their larger one if the smaller ones been degraded.
The reference to "smaller" filter is the factory change from MO-899 to the current MO-339 oil filter sometime in the 2014 model year for Rams 1500s. The larger MO-899 continued to be listed and used for heavy duty applications (2500 and up).

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 70071miles

gfviperman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have 125,000 on mine ... regular oil changes at the dealer (4-5,000 miles). Send samples to Brookstone labs. Last result was "another perfect report."

Thinking most problems are poor maintenance ...

Scott Sanders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any idea how long these cases can drag on for and what a potential resolution may be? Any way to track the case?

Reads as if MDS is the issue so to me sounds like only solution is to remove MDS..problem is, MDS is most likely how FCA bends over for the government to make their vehicles efficient and abide by EPA regulations and such. Again, this is all my understanding. So if that’s the case, not like they’ll just remove this and risk government fines.

Guessing nothing will come of this..but interesting to share and curious everyone’s input.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/...edium=email&utm_campaign=20220516-ram-lawsuit
I'm thinking that the Hemi tick was present long before the MDS was added.

RD Holland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
gfvierman said:Thinking most problems are poor maintenance ...

I bought a new 2019 Longhorn. When looking at trucks on the lot, I found one I liked. We started it up and ... my what a ticking beast it was. It was quite loud. The salesman told me that was no problem, it was because the engine was cold. I got right out of it and found another Longhorn (same except for color). Fired it up and it was quiet as can be. I bought that one and after reading about this ticking issue on these forums, I'm glad I didn't listen to the salesman. That was a brand new truck making such a racket I couldn't believe it. I sure didn't believe the salesman.

BBNtrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The problem is with the smaller filter across other brands as well, RP 20-820 has no issues, or yes another option would be puro, but I'd get the large size there as well. FCA went to smaller filters for who knows why = stupid is as stupid does fca.
Have you looked under the new 4WD hemi with air suspension? May have gone to a smaller oil filter so it was at least theoretically possible to change the filter! I just changed the oil at 440 miles but did not attempt the filter. When I take it in for yearly service I'm gonna ask if i can watch the service to see how they do it.

Govtman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you looked under the new 4WD hemi with air suspension? May have gone to a smaller oil filter so it was at least theoretically possible to change the filter! I just changed the oil at 440 miles but did not attempt the filter. When I take it in for yearly service I'm gonna ask if i can watch the service to see how they do it.
The smaller filter makes it possible to change from below as the electric steering box is in the way for the big filters. To run the MO-899 size filter I have to reach in from front- radiator back. There is a tunnel/lane the big filters can be taken to reach the oil filter flange.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
We have had a couple ram forum members relocate their filter location and add a large filter, so 2 filter set up and the engine oil psi was identical to one large filter. Just something to consider if you feel like you are stuck with smaller filters.