CHRYSLER HEMI ENGINE TICKING NOISE CAUSES LAWSUIT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mds lubricates the 5.7 better then no mds, the mds is a nothing burger when it comes to hemi tick, as we know even non mds hemis tick. MDS sux ***, but hemi tick is something other then this. It isnt lifter quality either, or needle bearings which do fail but they fail due to back pressure on the lifters. The issue is back pressure in the lifter bore that can be fixed by adding EP additives and base oils in most cases, but the real fix should have came years ago. The same thing that saves flat tappet cams can help us, instead of AW additive zinc/zddp our issue is helped with EP additives and not so much AW additives as it is different then the tappet.

Flat Tappet needs zinc/phos
Hemi's need moly/sulfur

The two are very similar the difference is how much pressure is needed to make it work, zinc is too easily sacrificed for our needs, thus the need for "extreme pressure" EP additives. Maybe there is no 100% fix, maybe any engine can have a certain number of fails, but this would surely have lowered the numbers if it was wide spread and not just something ram forum did. At this point I seriously doubt anything will come from this.
When you say non mds hemis also tick are you referring to where they have mds delete as in no mds cam, no mds lifters, etc?? Or are you referring to where they have just disabled mds in an mds engine?

Would the design alone of the mds system be at fault not necessarily the strength of cam and or lifters but the design causing poor lubrication to the needed parts that would otherwise not be an issue with just a non mds normal hemi? So in that case due to them having to design a mds type system that in itself could be the culprit and reason for the lawsuit.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you say non mds hemis also tick are you referring to where they have mds delete as in no mds cam, no mds lifters, etc?? Or are you referring to where they have just disabled mds in an mds engine?

Would the design alone of the mds system be at fault not necessarily the strength of cam and or lifters but the design causing poor lubrication to the needed parts that would otherwise not be an issue with just a non mds normal hemi? So in that case due to them having to design a mds type system that in itself could be the culprit and reason for the lawsuit.
No they all tic, had a 2005 I bought new and it had the tic.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No they all tic, had a 2005 I bought new and it had the tic.
Very interesting. Wonder if there is a higher percentage of the MDS compared to non-MDS hemi's. Either way sounds like they really need to redesign the lubrication/oil flow strategy in these hemi's.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

The 6 speed 5.7 and 6.4 Challengers are non-mds engines,and they still have the cam/lifter issues as the mds engines do.There's not as many of them floating around,so you don't hear as much about their cam/lifter issues,but percentage wise,they probably are in roughly the same range as the mds engines are.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The 6 speed 5.7 and 6.4 Challengers are non-mds engines,and they still have the cam/lifter issues as the mds engines do.There's not as many of them floating around,so you don't hear as much about their cam/lifter issues,but percentage wise,they probably are in roughly the same range as the mds engines are.
Yet somehow people like to blame the mds for the failures . I suppose if most folks reading comprehension is like on this site , they get through a sentence or two then fade off .

bings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if this is the same class action. This one is asking for peoples experiences to add to litigation to start a class action i believe.

Screenshot_20220802-014348_Samsung Internet.jpg

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if this is the same class action. This one is asking for peoples experiences to add to litigation to start a class action i believe.

View attachment 499551

The way class action lawsuits work is you get pennies while the law firm gets millions. DO NOT do the class action lawsuit.

If you do the class action lawsuit, I will be you free personal accountant. Just send me you bank info.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would, you are in the good zone for the switch to redline 5w30, pair it with a royal purple 20-820. Being in georgia if that is where the truck is, this is a great all year round choice. You might want to send a used oil analysis, see what those shavings are bearings or upper end stuff. Either way redline will give more protection. If you have had a mis fire code yet po300 range, you are still good as far as lifters and a cam.
I’m so confused about “send oil analysis”.
Send where?! My ram 1500 has 58k miles and it’s a 2017. Every cold start up comes with that Hemi tick. It’s pretty prominent but subsides after 10 seconds or so. I bought the truck 2 months ago from carmax so I still have about a month of warranty. Should I be concerned at all? The truck is very clean!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I’m so confused about “send oil analysis”.
Send where?! My ram 1500 has 58k miles and it’s a 2017. Every cold start up comes with that Hemi tick. It’s pretty prominent but subsides after 10 seconds or so. I bought the truck 2 months ago from carmax so I still have about a month of warranty. Should I be concerned at all? The truck is very clean!
dangerous hemi tick is warm idle tick, when your truck comes back from, a trip does it tick at idle? You need ro rule out exhaust manifolds, which are about 50% of hemi ticks, the other half is lifters.

if you want a uoa, they send you a kit for free, you pay them when you send it back, I use a check. order tbn if you want to set an interval, you need to know the miles on the oil for that, so unless you changed the oil, that wont work for you.

Elvira

Reaction score
The problem is not the mds system...idling is the culprit and the need for more oil at idle speeds. The difference in the 5.7 and the hellcat engine oil pumps is not oil pressure, but oil volume...more oil is required at idle speeds. You could cheat slightly by adjusting idle speed up a touch, 100 or 200 rpm, that would be sufficient to create more oil being fed to the engine...lifters, camshaft etc.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
dangerous hemi tick is warm idle tick, when your truck comes back from, a trip does it tick at idle? You need ro rule out exhaust manifolds, which are about 50% of hemi ticks, the other half is lifters.

if you want a uoa, they send you a kit for free, you pay them when you send it back, I use a check. order tbn if you want to set an interval, you need to know the miles on the oil for that, so unless you changed the oil, that wont work for you.

No, my tick is only at cold start. Wouldn’t the exhaust manifold continue to tick regardless whether hot or cold? So I think I could rule that out seeing my tick only comes about during a cold start.
What is UOA & TBN? Please excuse my ignorance.
Thanks

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Used Oil Analysis
Total Base Number

As the manifold heats up, it expands and seals the gap and keeps the escaping gasses form causing the tick you hear.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No, my tick is only at cold start. Wouldn’t the exhaust manifold continue to tick regardless whether hot or cold? So I think I could rule that out seeing my tick only comes about during a cold start.
Thanks
No, exhaust tick can happen when gaskets are cold, when warm the gaskets expand. It could be either at this point, get under there and check all the mani bolts.

uoa used oil analysis

tbn total base number how most labs set an oil change inteval, oci. TAN is total acid number.

search hemi tick lubrication threads here.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
posted same time, lol

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks
Those question can be answered in the synthetic oil thread. That being said, very often changing your oil filter will eliminate the cold start up tick. I use the fram ultra from Walmart. This assumes your not dealing with broken manifold bolts.