Chrysler screwed me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Jackson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 ram 2500 6.4 hemi 60711 miles something happened to the motor and valves got stuck and messed up the cam got my oil changed every time the light came on used Mobil one 0-40 synthetic they denied my warranty cost is 4,930.00 as of now but they denied it saying wrong oil was used and idle hours was too high and maintenance wasn’t done properly I bought this truck used with 25000 on it I’m very disappointed with Chrysler on this the dealership I took it too has had it for a month saying they was waiting on Chrysler to give yes or no for warranty when we got the answer no it had almost been there a month and the dealership did not have my back or fight for me at all I am very disappointed in how this was handled and how I’m being treated is there anything else I can do on this beside just get screwed

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
2018 ram 2500 6.4 hemi 60711 miles something happened to the motor and valves got stuck and messed up the cam got my oil changed every time the light came on used Mobil one 0-40 synthetic they denied my warranty cost is 4,930.00 as of now but they denied it saying wrong oil was used and idle hours was too high and maintenance wasn’t done properly I bought this truck used with 25000 on it I’m very disappointed with Chrysler on this the dealership I took it too has had it for a month saying they was waiting on Chrysler to give yes or no for warranty when we got the answer no it had almost been there a month and the dealership did not have my back or fight for me at all I am very disappointed in how this was handled and how I’m being treated is there anything else I can do on this beside just get screwed

Idle hours are a factor. 1 hour of idle equals 25 - 30 miles. Moble 1 is a Euro 0w 40, not recommended for the 6.4L truck.

There are a lot of people here that have a large number of idle hours and only change their oil based upon mileage, not mileage and idle hours.

How many idle hours and driving hours do you have?

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/32...en a vehicle idles for,to 30 miles of driving.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not a Ram, but my wifes Pacifica. 2019 bought it new. 14k miles and I took it to get it washed killed it and then it wouldn't start. Service airbag and transmission lights came on. Little to know idle time. I called Chrysler care... Lady was super nice. Sent a tow truck out. I had already told them its a turn dial shifter and its sitting in a spot that it can only come out in reverse. I waited 2 hours for a tow truck to get there. I had to be on the other side of the metroplex and needed to leave. They send out the wrong tow truck. Called Chrysler care again. Our dealership is something like 3 miles outside of the tow radius. They say they are sending out the right tow truck this time. I have to leave it. So I call the dealership that it is supposed to go to. Service guy tells me we probably screwed something up in our bad ice/snow storm. They were supposedly seeing a lot of these type issues and most likely wouldn't be covered. I was like wait now buddy, this thing stayed in the garage the entire event. My ram was the only thing that left. I called Chrysler care back and complained that I didn't feel comfortable with them taking care of the van. She said there wasn't anything she could do. Still very nice to me and I was to her. I jump in my Charger to go on my road trip and I get a call back from Chrysler care. Its a supervisor. She was very nice and let me know that she had talked to the tow truck company and they were taking it free of charge to our preferred dealership. This is a Friday and Tuesday it was fixed free of charge. I would reach out to Chrysler care and explain it to them. I really hope this works out for you. My experience with Dodge/Chrysler over the past several years has been great.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know mobil1 does not meet chryslers specs. seems strange but ram calls for an oil that meets MS-12633 and mobil1 does not meet it. very few oils do.
This is very true.
I would make noise with Mobil1. see what they say.

I also agree here if all else fails. I run Castrol Edge in my Ram with no issues. I really think I am one of the lucky ones as to never have had the Hemi tick.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t want to sound like I’m piling on, but perhaps this thread will save someone else from making the same mistake. It’s unfortunate that Mobil’s marketing department outvoted the Chrysler engineering team in your decision about motor oil. The spec is clear in the manual, and it’s a topic of frequent discussion around here.

I recommend trying to play nice with corporate customer care and ask for some help. Mud slinging on the interwebz often backfires.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Who did the oil changes?

I highly doubt reaching out to Mobil 1 will do anything. Responsibility falls on the owner to ensure proper maintenance is performed with the correct oil. It’s unfortunate but that’s the way manufactures see it.

The dealer really doesn’t have any pull in these situations since the decision isn’t up to them. Maybe if they did the oil changes you might have a case.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unpopular sentiment, but this is exactly why I let the dealer perform oil changes and other power train maintenance. It might cost a bit more up front but it more than makes up for not having to deal with this.

This is why my wifes Pacifica goes to Grapevine Dodge to get everything done.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It really has nothing to do with idle time or brand of oil

It was the 40 weight oil
How did they discover that there was 40 weight oil in the engine ?

Did they send a sample to a lab ?

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
for any engine warranty they will always do an analysis on the oil. and they can tell if its the right oil or not. when i was in the army we did AOAP samples all the time to determine when oil needed to be changed. trust me they will know everything that engine did by that oil analysis.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Not much love here for the 1 post wonder OP. It is always interesting when folks come here and there first post it complaining about getting screwed by FCA.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
for any engine warranty they will always do an analysis on the oil. and they can tell if its the right oil or not. when i was in the army we did AOAP samples all the time to determine when oil needed to be changed. trust me they will know everything that engine did by that oil analysis.

yes and no.

Oil does "shear down" to lighter weight over time. So it could start as 0W-40 and then shear down to a heavy 0W-30. Lab analysis would show it as a 30w, does FCA then deny based on that? The owner should fight that, especially if they have proof of using 40w to start with.