Class IV trailer Hitch Deleted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skipp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 2018 Express 5.7 Quad cab. The spec’s show a trailer package but then class IV trailer hitch deleted. It looks like the tube steel is there and attached to the frame and I have the 4 & 7 wire factory harness in the bumper. My question is; does the factory trailer hitch that was deleted just bolt onto what is there. If so where can I get that attachment so I can tow my boat without just putting a ball in the hole on the bumper

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The hole in the bumper is rated to tow 500 lbs at most, you will rip the bumper right off.

The hitch receiver for my 2500 is part of the frame. Everything is welded.

OP
OP
S

Skipp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have tube steel that is bolted to the frame and it all ties together at the bumper like an aftermarket hitch. It is looking more like it is a rated class 3 at the most. I found some pictures of what I have and with my gears and axle size I’m not built for heavy loads anyway. I’ll probably just grab an aftermarket class 4. I do appreciate your feedback thank you

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you can buy the receiver and simply bolt it on.

Note that the factory hitch is fully welded though. From what I gathered the bolt-on has a class 3 rating vs class 4 for the factory style.

OP
OP
S

Skipp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to say thank you to everyone who took time out of there day to reply. All the info has pointed me in the right direction. Thank you

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The hole in the bumper is rated to tow 500 lbs at most, you will rip the bumper right off.
the hole in the bumper of a 1500 is rated to tow 5K lbs with 500 lbs of tongue weight. The weight rating is molded right in the plastic of the bumper trim.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

The hitch receiver for my 2500 is part of the frame. Everything is welded.
Our 2500's have a class V rating with a 2.5" receiver. A 2.5' to 2" reducer is included.

The bumper hole is rated for 5k lbs towing. OP, you will NOT just tear your bumper off your truck.
I used one for years towing loaded down motorcycle trailers and my 18" boat.

Lots of good info here but not all.

Last edited:

123 Redbeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my build sheet ... Mine also was deleted (purple dot) ... But has heavy duty transmission and engine cooler (red dots) ... Also has a factory hitch, along with both 4 & 7 pin sockets ...

Does it look like they deleted the IV & and put on a III? Or did previous owner upgrade it?

Sorry, I'm not near truck, it is in AZ, and I'm in IN at the moment ...

This is the best I can do for pictures at the moment ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211025-032425~2.png
    Screenshot_20211025-032425~2.png
    270.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211012_071322284.jpg
    IMG_20211012_071322284.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 10

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my build sheet ... Mine also was deleted (purple dot) ... But has heavy duty transmission and engine cooler (red dots) ... Also has a factory hitch, along with both 4 & 7 pin sockets ...

Does it look like they deleted the IV & and put on a III? Or did previous owner upgrade it?

Sorry, I'm not near truck, it is in AZ, and I'm in IN at the moment ...

This is the best I can do for pictures at the moment ...
Looks like the previous owner added the receiver. From the pic I can't tell if it's class 3 or 4. There should be a sticker on it some where telling you the weight rating. Mine was deleted too but I just bought a Draw Tite class 4 receiver and bolted it on.

123 Redbeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, thank you, I'll crawl under it when I get home next week ...

Looks like I have a change of plans ... Just put an offer on a house in Missouri yesterday ... Checked with U-haul, price has quadrupled since my last quote 2.5 years ago, and now that I have this truck, it is too heavy to put on there car hauler trailer ... So gonna just get a trailer ...

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Our 2500's have a class V rating with a 2.5" receiver. A 2.5' to 2" reducer is included.

The bumper hole is rated for 5k lbs towing. OP, you will NOT just tear your bumper off your truck.
I used one for years towing loaded down motorcycle trailers and my 18" boat.

Lots of good info here but not all.

You're absolutely right, and I shook my head when I read the comment about ripping the bumper off.

That said though, I'm not sure why you'd WANT to put a ball in the bumper anymore. With the height of these trucks, a LOT of trailers would sit extremely nose-high if they were hitched to the bumper. You almost always want to have a drop hitch to get the trailer at least close to level, regardless of how much it weighs.

123 Redbeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got home last night ... It looks like what GTYankee posted pictures of ... I don't see any sticker or stamping on it has the RAM emblem on the rubber flap ...

I'm going the the dealer today to get the factory intergated brake controller installed. IMG_20211102_070156155.jpgIMG_20211102_070231585.jpg

123 Redbeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Change of plans again!

Dealer would not nail down a price ... $650 - $800! 2-3 hours ...

Got to dealer 20 minutes early for my 09:00 appointment, which they were also going to program and cut a key for me ... Just after 10:00 they came and got me, said they got the key done, but did not have the controller, maybe in a week ... I was not happy!

I paid the $75 for the key work, theirs were backordered until mid-February ... Key didn't work, nor was the metal key cut ... After I went back in they actually programed and cut the key ...

Already reserved to buy a trailer today ... I called the trailer place, they did not have a controller, but refered me to a place that did ... Took them 25 minutes, and only $305 installed ... It's a Tekonsha P3

Never have been a fan of vehicle dealers ...

Got my trailer now, fighting with AZ MVD, wish they all ready the same "rules" ...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The Tekonsha P3 is a darn good aftermarket brake controller
Once you get used to using it, it is a close to the Actual Ram Brake Controller as far as function as you can get.
The OEM brake controller is better mostly because of its position when mounted

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The P3 is a great controller. That's the one I use and I love it. It's arguably the best aftermarket controller made.

123 Redbeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the reassurance, I had read that it was good controller, just would have preferred to have more tucked away factory install (this one is Not in my way, I'm 6'1"( ... Now not only getting use to it, but getting the "self-adjusting" brakes on the new trailer to tighten up, or break in ...