Clean Carfax Rebel availability **UPDATE**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Claydus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m currently looking at Rebel trucks and I am having a difficult time locating a truck that has NO accidents reported on Carfax. Many local trucks that have the options that I want (air suspension, parking sensors, 4x4, V8) have even “minor” damage listed.

I am super **** about Carfax since my wife got burned on a car that had minor damage during a trade-in. I do not want be in the same position. Also, some trucks that I have seen in person with minor damage, showed signs of improper repairs like panel gaps, loose headlamps, missing screws/bolts, or over spray.

Anyone purchase a used Rebel with issues like the above? Have any regrets?

OP
OP
C

Claydus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This morning after looking a 2018 Rebel, I went to go check out a 2020 RAM Rebel after I posted this thread. I kind bummed after test drive a truck that had a clean carfax but had some hack job DIY repairs. Anyways, the test drive of the 2020 RAM Rebel went amazing. It had 81k miles so that made me skeptical at first but it drove like brand new.

I was able to make a deal on the truck for less than $40,000 OTD with 81k miles. Looking at Cargurus in my area and other sites for a 2019-present RAM Rebel 4x4 crew cab there was nothing the same stratosphere as far as pricing goes. I knew I had to make a move and get this truck.

At first, the only two things that I wish the truck had is the air suspension and parking sensors. Now I have no issues missing these 2 features.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just want to point out, saw a video over the weekend of a car with ~30k, and a spotless carfax, but as soon as they popped the hood, or really looked at it at all, it was VERY clear that the car had been the Oreo cream in a pretty serious accident. (It got spit-roasted. IE hit front and rear.) A few of the things they pointed out I could see as "**** happens" sometimes, but they showed a LOT, and a few (frame damage?) clearly showed that the CarFax was wrong on that vehicle.

My '18 Rebel with 77k still runs like a dream. Might need to adjust the parking brake, as it takes about 2oz to set... But otherwise, it's still a dream to drive. Air ride is something I would miss a lot, but the parking sensors are generally just annoying (My son actually gets a kick out of them when I back into the parking spot, but I hate them.)

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Last time I received estimates for some body work all 3 shops estimates proudly stated they do not report repairs to Carfax or any other similar company. Essentially Carfax relies on "self-reporting" by repair shops. Since customers don't like having negative marks on their car history, it is not in the body shops' best interest to report repairs.

OP
OP
C

Claydus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I posted in the main 5th Gen forum that I noticed some issues with the door rubbing the fender. There was some paint that chipped away. Also, I noticed some overspray of some black paint presumably from when someone touched up the front passenger fender flare.

Digging deeper into the truck I found an old registration card that was for PV Holding Corp, which is the parent company of AVIS Car Rentals. I went back to the dealership I bought it from and they referred me to a body shop they use. The body shop could tell there was a slight dent in the lower part of the fender where it meets the door. Being a white truck, I couldn't even tell there was anything there. The body shop worked on it for a bit and got the dent out by pulling it. Now the door and fender do not rub anymore. I got some touch up paint that I will apply once whether around here is warmer and much more dry.

The body shop said that AVIS will do their own repairs which will not get marked on a Carfax.

Only other problem that I found is the drivers heated seat isn't working. I believe this is a common problem on these trucks. It's an easy fix, I reached out to the dealership I bought from but haven't heard back from them.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I didn’t realise dealerships bought or sold ex rental vehicles. Shows how low on stock they must have been.
Glad it worked out. At least rental vehicles are serviced and maintained properly. That body damage seems extremely minor, I’m pleased for you.
Did the dealer know and tell you it was rental? Just curious.

C Billy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4,7.0 L V 8-cylinder
Last time I received estimates for some body work all 3 shops estimates proudly stated they do not report repairs to Carfax or any other similar company or service https://epicvin.com/vin-decoder/dodge. Essentially Carfax relies on "self-reporting" by repair shops. Since customers don't like having negative marks on their car history, it is not in the body shops' best interest to report repairs.
Good point. There is not much profit for body shops to report repairs

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Essentially Carfax relies on "self-reporting" by repair shops.

That's one source, but only one source. They get info from police and fire reports, insurance claims, etc. as well. Sometimes this creates an issue in that they don't realize it's the same crash if there's a lengthy delay between the crash and repairs, which is starting to be more of an issue due to supply chain issues now. I saw a Raptor with what was obviously the same crash reported as two different ones 9 months apart, for example. Likely one from the original police report and the second from the repairing body shop.