Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would do some short interval oil changes. If you get too aggressive, you take the chance of running a bunch of crud through the bearings when it breaks loose.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Ok. Tech terms not well known here. But the problem is. The I think lifters. Metal straws that deliver oil to top of crank case. My straws are sludged. Most is gone. After using the much needed synthetic oil. Still not clean. I did utube research. Found high miles version of seafoam oil additive. So I take out oil put some in run it for 150 miles. Then change oil. This they say cleans the lifter sludge. Besides popping the top of the engine. Doing this as a break down manual job. Is this an effective route? I also have the can to spray into the engine. I would think that kind of cleaning would be needed after the fact. Is their any other options to make this clean and right again? Or am I on the least invassive path to a clean engine.
Besides those lifter sounds. It runs great at 121k miles.
Side note. Very strong and well built truck. If there is more I can do. Or a better chemical I could use. Please? Want to get more than 4 years out of my truck. Any ideas other than this that include chemicals only. Don't want to open the engine. Thank you.

Watch the advise you get. You say you have oil sludge and people are talking about air intake.

How do you know you have a sludged up engine?

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/should-you-use-synthetic-oil-in-your-car/

OP
OP
RAM08110719

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
I would do some short interval oil changes. If you get too aggressive, you take the chance of running a bunch of crud through the bearings when it breaks loose.

Musky.
Thank you. It just happens I got a deal on 2 oil changes worth of oil. So I will do 1 sometime this month. Then the next in 2 months. I know that doesn't sound short. In miles it will be real short. Don't drive to much. Then I was going to get another box. Walmart 12 quarts synthetic for $33. I had to get a box. Now I will be getting another 1. The oil filter I will get highier quality. Try to stop the crud. The sound is getting quieter. So I know just the oil is working.

OP
OP
RAM08110719

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am a fan of Rislone, it cleans really well without thinning the oil like seafoam.

The big threat doing a fast clean is that the sludge will get into the oil pan and sit in the bottom of the oil pan - right where your oil pump pickup is sitting.
Next thing you know, you smoke an engine due to no oil getting to the pump.

Do it slow, use a high quality dino oil plus 1 qt. Rislone, change the oil every 2000 miles. You will know that you have it mostly sludge free by the sound AND your oil will be significantly cleaner at the 2000 mile oil change than it will be at the first one.

OP
OP
RAM08110719

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
I am a fan of Rislone, it cleans really well without thinning the oil like seafoam.

The big threat doing a fast clean is that the sludge will get into the oil pan and sit in the bottom of the oil pan - right where your oil pump pickup is sitting.
Next thing you know, you smoke an engine due to no oil getting to the pump.

Do it slow, use a high quality dino oil plus 1 qt. Rislone, change the oil every 2000 miles. You will know that you have it mostly sludge free by the sound AND your oil will be significantly cleaner at the 2000 mile oil change than it will be at the first one.

Don't want to mess that up. Just want to make the engine happy. The sound is fading. So it is slipping through with the synthetic. I already have 2 oil changes of synthetic. So I just do them closer. To get it out. I don't get why the last owner couldn't have been better with the oil changes. They make it rather easy. With an oil slide right below the oil filter. Not only can you get to everything. It also is made not to get oil on engine or frame. Should be fair enough to take care of the job.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know I'm a little late to the party here, but one of the virtues of synthetic oil is that molecules are more uniform in size.

As has been advised before, do a few short-cycle oil changes and use a quality filter like Wix, over time, your ticking issue will go away. Once you are happy with it, switch to a quality synthetic, a quality filter (take your pick, I happen to like Amsoil and Wix), and switch to a regular oil change schedule and your truck should last for several more years before giving up its ghost to the machine gods ;)

OP
OP
RAM08110719

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
I know I'm a little late to the party here, but one of the virtues of synthetic oil is that molecules are more uniform in size.

As has been advised before, do a few short-cycle oil changes and use a quality filter like Wix, over time, your ticking issue will go away. Once you are happy with it, switch to a quality synthetic, a quality filter (take your pick, I happen to like Amsoil and Wix), and switch to a regular oil change schedule and your truck should last for several more years before giving up its ghost to the machine gods ;)

Thank you guys so much for all the help and information. As of right now the ticking is hardly noticeable. So happy. Just need to change oil. Make sure it stays that way. It was such a pleasure to start it up today and not hear that sound. Well it's real small. You must concentrate to hear it. Big change in RPMs. Now it can rest at 1.5 while doing 65MPH. Never happened before always almost 2. So things are a lot cleaner. Happier engine. Love this place thank you.

OP
OP
RAM08110719

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85

Thank you for your service to our country. I now noticed the military badge on your profile. Serving our country is something I could never do. So those I know that do I always thank them. I can't imagine what it's like. I know I'm forever grateful you made that choice and came back alive. You have my utmost respect.
Your never to late to the party. Right now this is all we have to communicate. So the party is online. All night all day. Never let it stop! Roll on.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't do extended oil change intervals on a 4.7 any way. Depends on how you drive though to a large degree. All highway or city. Short or long trips. Miles per year. etc

OP
OP
RAM08110719

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
I wouldn't do extended oil change intervals on a 4.7 any way. Depends on how you drive though to a large degree. All highway or city. Short or long trips. Miles per year. etc

I totally agree. It's my first V8. So I tend to drive fast. I don't haul stuff with it. Just fly down the highway or country roads in my area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam