Cleanest way removing oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I used the larger filter from the 2010's. I have tried the ziploc bag, still makes a mess since I have to turn the filter after breaking it loose. The container doesn't work well due to how close the k-frame or steering rack is. I usually put grocery bags over the k-frame to catch drips. I mainly don't want oil between there and the steering rack which builds up gunk. Filter relocation introduces a lot of new potential leak paths.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used the larger filter from the 2010's. I have tried the ziploc bag, still makes a mess since I have to turn the filter after breaking it loose. The container doesn't work well due to how close the k-frame or steering rack is. I usually put grocery bags over the k-frame to catch drips. I mainly don't want oil between there and the steering rack which builds up gunk. Filter relocation introduces a lot of new potential leak paths.
Always love a bigger filter.Thanks

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
i have tried everything and the dam oil still goes everywhere. bought one of the large flexible funnels that you bend to the shape you need. It is large enough and long enough that placed under the filter it catches it all and it runs down the funnel into the catch pan. NO mess.

dls56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Don't let the oil get too hot and wear a disposable long sleeve shirt, mine just gets rain and sunshine for cleaning and used again next oil change.
Have tried the plastic bag with mixed results and finally just decided getting dirty ain't so bad, lol. Have a roll of paper towels ready for cleanup. Good luck!

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Great baggie idea. Thanks
NO NO NO NO
That is Wrong on an Infinite number of Levels.
Always fill a great big Baggie, with something better than Oil.

images.jpg

Not Sandwiches, either.

000.gif

Can you tell I watched, "Up In Smoke", the other day?
Still Funny, after all these Years and, even when Straight.

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
Ram couldn't of put the oil filter in a worse position than they did really. It's like they wanted to see how dirty one could get just trying to remove that oil filter. I bet many of them laugh at the complaints they have gotten throughout the years having the worse placement probably ever.

With that said having a oil change come up I wanted to see your recommended method of not spilling a single drop. I did get the Fumoto drain valve and am looking forward to that. From what I have seen there is a couple methods as far as removing that dreaded filter goes.

1. A couple quart ziplock baggies. Simply first loosen filter then put baggie around and loosen more so oil starts draining in baggie. Seems this is still kind of a PITA because hard to angle that filter at all and still seems to spill a little oil?

2. From what I can see best method is that XL Oil Udder. Have any of you used that for our particular 4th gen RAM's and does that truly do the trick?
I took a piece of house gutter trimmed down the sides its about 3' long I never spill a drop