Cleaning black wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do you guys clean your black wheels to keep from scratching them. This is my first set of black wheels and I know there seems to be a right and a wrong way to clean them.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How do you guys clean your black wheels to keep from scratching them. This is my first set of black wheels and I know there seems to be a right and a wrong way to clean them.
Lots of quality microfiber towels. A foaming wheel cleaner of your choice and Speed master wheel brushes or Wheel woolies will prevent scratches. Check Autopia.com or Autogeek. YouTube is another great source. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The best thing you can do with painted wheels (or most wheels, really) is to treat them like paint. I see people cleaning their wheels with crappy sponges, rough brushes, etc. that they'd never think to bring near their paint.

I have a wash mitt reserved for wheels that I use to clean whatever I can reach. Then I use the speed master brush for the inside portions and a boar's hair detail brush for around the lugs.

I also highly recommend a good coat of wax. If stuff doesn't stick, the wheels are going to be much easier to clean. I usually don't use wheel cleaner because regular car soap is enough to get everything off when the wheels are waxed.

SJP_1809

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I clean mine with a dedicated microfiber mitt and regular car wash shampoo and wheel woolies for the barrel of the wheel, nothing really special.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have one vehicle with black wheels on it. I keep a can of black spray paint in the trunk for whenever they need touched up haha

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Detail spray and a microfiber towel. Wax them also.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Detail spray and a microfiber towel. Wax them also.

This.

I use mcguires detail spray and microfiber mitts for the wheels.

I go like a month before I wash my truck but I'll wipe down with the detail spray once a week. Being silver this is all it takes to look clean easily.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I also highly recommend a good coat of wax. If stuff doesn't stick, the wheels are going to be much easier to clean. I usually don't use wheel cleaner because regular car soap is enough to get everything off when the wheels are waxed.

Would a spray wax work well?

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I use sonax wheel cleaner on all my vehicles. It breaks down the iron in the brake dust and if you have a pressure washer you don't even need to touch the wheels. I like to agitate the chemical but depending on the dirtiness you don't really have to. Then I use a leaf blower to dry to whole vehicle wheels included and finally microfiber with a small amount of spray wax. Look into a good sealant. This will do far more than a wax will and help protect from any fallout/brake residue sticking to the surface

hemiram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The Fuel website says to use mild soap and water but Ive got some pretty nasty grime and that ain't cutting it. Is the Sonax safe for powdercoated wheels? Any other suggestions?

20190625_083024.jpg

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Adams or Griots Garage has some great wheel cleaner. Try one of them, and then ceramic coat them with some Adams Ceramic

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I highly recommend ceramic coating but you need to clean them back to new condition. Take each wheel off and clean them takes about an hour per wheel.
Clean with a strong soap, clay bar, clean them again then ipa wipe. Then ceramic coating. And enjoy your easy maintenance wheels

hemiram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Tried some Chemical Guys Diablo last night and no dice.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I use furniture polish on my wheels and tires.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This.

I use mcguires detail spray and microfiber mitts for the wheels.

I go like a month before I wash my truck but I'll wipe down with the detail spray once a week. Being silver this is all it takes to look clean easily.

Interesting grille....Who makes that one?

Dpressed1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I applied mcguires spray ceramic and every week wipe down the wheels with a detail spray and microfiber.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corumba