Cleaning Polished Aluminum Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took the wheels from this (1st picture)
To this (2nd picture)
But notice the spots and where the inside is pretty bad (3rd & 4th picture)

I used 0000 Steel Wool with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. Those spots aren't pitted they are smooth to the touch, I honestly don't know what they are. Nor the black spots the kind of white spots.

20190412_190045.jpg

20190412_190052.jpg

20190412_190102.jpg

20190412_190056.jpg

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you know if the wheels had a clear coat on them when they were new?
Jay

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Looks like you'll need something a bit more aggressive than the Mothers product.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Yeah, you’re going to need to go to 320 grit to remove the pitting and work your way back up to high grit mirror finish.

600-800-1000-1500 rubbing compound-mothers

I’ve done it for wheel lips by hand, i’d Suggest a polishing ball and something electric with a few thousand rpm.

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you know if the wheels had a clear coat on them when they were new?
Jay
They did not
Yeah, you’re going to need to go to 320 grit to remove the pitting and work your way back up to high grit mirror finish.

600-800-1000-1500 rubbing compound-mothers

I’ve done it for wheel lips by hand, i’d Suggest a polishing ball and something electric with a few thousand rpm.
Damn was hoping to avoid that :D it isn't pitted though its smooth to the touch almost like a water stain

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just try a small area and see if the polish takes it all out and leaves a good finish. You will want something like a power ball, flitz wheel or at least a rotary polisher to do the bulk of it or it'll take a ridiculous amount of time.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Try 1000 and work your way down if it doesn’t clean up, hard to tell from the photos on the depth. Even if you only have to use 320 on certain areas it will blend well with cast aluminum.

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just try a small area and see if the polish takes it all out and leaves a good finish. You will want something like a power ball, flitz wheel or at least a rotary polisher to do the bulk of it or it'll take a ridiculous amount of time.
I will try that first, as I was doing it by hands. Thanks for your help, will follow up! Might nor be for a few days.

Try 1000 and work your way down if it doesn’t clean up, hard to tell from the photos on the depth. Even if you only have to use 320 on certain areas it will blend well with cast aluminum.
I'll give that a shot, thanks for the advice! I'll follow up but it won't be for a few days. I'm going to try and do the polishing first with a drill as I was flying it by hand

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It really depends on how thick the clear coat was. You may have just put some small scratches in the finish. You might call the manufacture and talk to them and send them pictures of the wheels and see what they suggest. I'd hate to see you use some product that might ruin your wheels. I think that if you try one of those polish wheels and a light abrasive and see what that does--I think the extra ump from the polish wheel on a drill might help.
Jay

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It really depends on how thick the clear coat was. You may have just put some small scratches in the finish. You might call the manufacture and talk to them and send them pictures of the wheels and see what they suggest. I'd hate to see you use some product that might ruin your wheels. I think that if you try one of those polish wheels and a light abrasive and see what that does--I think the extra ump from the polish wheel on a drill might help.
Jay
Thanks for the suggestion. Have any suggestions on polish? Might head to WalMart to get the wheel because I hate waiting for stuff lol

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Look for a polish with a little abrasive in it. You can put some of it on your fingers and rub them together and you should be able to "feel" and abrasive. You could also use a "Polishing Compound" which has less abrasive than "Rubbing Compound". The thing your trying to do is prevent any "deep" scratches in the surface that you will have to work out later---you don't want the cure to be worst than the problem.
Jay

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look for a polish with a little abrasive in it. You can put some of it on your fingers and rub them together and you should be able to "feel" and abrasive. You could also use a "Polishing Compound" which has less abrasive than "Rubbing Compound". The thing your trying to do is prevent any "deep" scratches in the surface that you will have to work out later---you don't want the cure to be worst than the problem.
Jay
Use a paint polish or aluminum polish? I have some Meguiars Paint Polish

aidmyaim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Use a paint polish or aluminum polish? I have some Meguiars Paint Polish

First of all, get aluminum polish. Those white spots 100% are corrosion. Before you start busting out sandpaper at 320 grit and working your way back up, the first thing I would try is cleaning with dawn dish soap and rinsing off, then get some oven cleaner spray and let it sit for about 20 - 30 minutes. Spray liberally with a hose and then try the aluminum brightener polish followed by car wax.

*MAKE SURE YOU PROTECT YOUR PAINT FROM THE OVEN CLEANER*

You’d be surprised how well this works. The oven cleaner strips the aluminum, so make sure you do a good job waxing with the brightener then the car wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First of all, get aluminum polish. Those white spots 100% are corrosion. Before you start busting out sandpaper at 320 grit and working your way back up, the first thing I would try is cleaning with dawn dish soap and rinsing off, then get some oven cleaner spray and let it sit for about 20 - 30 minutes. Spray liberally with a hose and then try the aluminum brightener polish followed by car wax.

*MAKE SURE YOU PROTECT YOUR PAINT FROM THE OVEN CLEANER*

You’d be surprised how well this works. The oven cleaner strips the aluminum, so make sure you do a good job waxing with the brightener then the car wax.

Im give that a shot

aidmyaim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Im give that a shot

Also did I mention protect your paint?

After the oven cleaner sits for about 20minutes I’d scrub with a brush or one of those still attachments. Just to get it extra clean before rinsing it off.

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welp it's raining here today so no detailing, unless I can get the truck in the garage

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The polish I have right now is called "Maas" which I have found to do an excellent job on chrome and my stock aluminum wheels. I also have a bottle of "Blue Away" which is designed to polish and take blue off of chrome and polished exhaust tips. I'm not sure how much better they would be than what you already have. Another suggestion would be is to take your photos and post a question on "autopia" and see if the professional detailers can give you any help. They usually are pretty good at helping people out. Also you might check out some of the products in the autopia store used to polish aluminum wheels.
Jay