Cleaning Polished Aluminum Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have partial tins of flitz and mothers paste and a tube of autosol. They all work the same as far as I can tell. Now that I have a nice organized cabinet for detailing I can stop buying new stuff every time because I forget that I already had stuff.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
The discoloration and spots on those wheels is oxidation and corrosion and the only thing that will remove it and make them shine like new is to remove the top layer of aluminum to get down to clean flat material and then polish it. It would take forever to write out all the options. There are a lot of good videos on youtube on how to do it.

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The discoloration and spots on those wheels is oxidation and corrosion and the only thing that will remove it and make them shine like new is to remove the top layer of aluminum to get down to clean flat material and then polish it. It would take forever to write out all the options. There are a lot of good videos on youtube on how to do it.
I think that is above my pay grade so I'll have to find someone who does that near me.

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1981 I put 8" american racing slot rims on my cj7. Much road salt in Indiana. Kept them looking decent with usual care. 10 yrs. ago found Busch aluminum polish at a Pilot truck stop. Made like new:)

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Its not too difficult, you just need the tools and some time. As long as you don't start out with any thing too aggressive its just a matter of polishing until it shines. the Mothers polish and a foam ball would help a lot but the deeper pitting is going to require something that cuts faster. You can get a cheap wheel at Harbor freight and buy the pads/wheels at a truck stop or order online. Its a process of steps. Here is a video of the basic steps but you can vary the way you want to do it to suit your situation.
I picked this at random I have no affiliation with this guy.

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1981 I put 8" american racing slot rims on my cj7. Much road salt in Indiana. Kept them looking decent with usual care. 10 yrs. ago found Busch aluminum polish at a Pilot truck stop. Made like new:)
Will try that first, thanks! :)

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its not too difficult, you just need the tools and some time. As long as you don't start out with any thing too aggressive its just a matter of polishing until it shines. the Mothers polish and a foam ball would help a lot but the deeper pitting is going to require something that cuts faster. You can get a cheap wheel at Harbor freight and buy the pads/wheels at a truck stop or order online. Its a process of steps. Here is a video of the basic steps but you can vary the way you want to do it to suit your situation.
I picked this at random I have no affiliation with this guy.
I'll see how it turns out after the polish. Ordered the ball from Amazon. It goes offroad and car shows so I try to keep everything 100% as it is hard finding chrome beadlocks that I like.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If the Mothers ball gives you acceptable results you may want to get the cone shaped one also to get into the different contours on the front of the wheel.

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the Mothers ball gives you acceptable results you may want to get the cone shaped one also to get into the different contours on the front of the wheel.
I ordered both as Amazon threw the cone shaped one in for and extra $2

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
Big difference between " polished aluminum" and aluminum cast wheels with a "chrome" coating, which is what those wheels are.

A truly polished aluminum rim would be forged or billet. You'll be able to clean those up with some good elbow grease, but they won't clean up like a forged wheel does.

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow I
Big difference between " polished aluminum" and aluminum cast wheels with a "chrome" coating, which is what those wheels are.

A truly polished aluminum rim would be forged or billet. You'll be able to clean those up with some good elbow grease, but they won't clean up like a forged wheel does.
Wow I got ripped off they were suppose be forged not cast. Now I might have to look at different wheels now. How did you find that out? Did I miss something on their website?

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
I wouldn't say you got ripped off, but perhaps misled. Pro comp doesn't make a forged wheel to my knowledge. They describe your rim as "polished alloy". They list powder coat, PVD, chrome and polished as there finishes. The price says it all with this one, @ $123.99 a piece they certainly aren't forged aluminum. I'd call them and ask them what they son cider a polished alloy, I would think your rims are PVD coating.

Untitled.png

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
Forged aluminum rims don't really have a coating in their natural state, they are cut out of a solid aluminum mono block and then polished to shine.

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Forged aluminum rims don't really have a coating in their natural state, they are cut out of a solid aluminum mono block and then polished to shine.
I called them they said, "We'll have to get back to you". I just want something that is shiny and will last through rough winters. I drive all over the US to see family and most live in PA so salt is used there basically all year, as I lived there to lol

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
I called them they said, "We'll have to get back to you". I just want something that is shiny and will last through rough winters. I drive all over the US to see family and most live in PA so salt is used there basically all year, as I lived there to lol
I hear ya, I live in western Canada, we have snow 6-8 months of the year and the roads are heavily salted. No chrome rims will last in that atmosphere, the salt just eats the coating away. So does break dust and moisture.

If you're set on the polished looked, forged aluminum wheels will get you there and they will survive the salt you live in. They just require routine washing and hand polishing, they are high maintenance but they don't have a coating that peels, you are simply re polishing the metals natural surface.

I love the polished look to, but its to high maintenance for me. I chose to go with the raw brushed look instead. You should check out some of the forged wheel makers, they are expensive though. Fuel Forged, American Force, Specialty forged and so on, Hostile also has a nice forged line up.

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear ya, I live in western Canada, we have snow 6-8 months of the year and the roads are heavily salted. No chrome rims will last in that atmosphere, the salt just eats the coating away. So does break dust and moisture.

If you're set on the polished looked, forged aluminum wheels will get you there and they will survive the salt you live in. They just require routine washing and hand polishing, they are high maintenance but they don't have a coating that peels, you are simply re polishing the metals natural surface.

I love the polished look to, but its to high maintenance for me. I chose to go with the raw brushed look instead. You should check out some of the forged wheel makers, they are expensive though. Fuel Forged, American Force, Specialty forged and so on, Hostile also has a nice forged line up.
Now we open up a can of worms here :D because im very picky with my wheels. I could never live in Canada you guys get it way worse then us.

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just updating here haven't had time to do this as I have death wobble and a broken transmission mount. Bur hour the polishing cone and ball in the mail

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As I remember there was either a recall or a TSA about some front end parts; ie, tie rods ball joints etc etc when I had my 04. You might check to see if you have the "new and improved" parts that were supposed to take care of the DW problem. It could also be the tires, wheels, balance or really anything in the suspension system including the steering box or arm. DW is a pain in the ass to chase down and sometimes even worst to try to fix.
Jay

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I remember there was either a recall or a TSA about some front end parts; ie, tie rods ball joints etc etc when I had my 04. You might check to see if you have the "new and improved" parts that were supposed to take care of the DW problem. It could also be the tires, wheels, balance or really anything in the suspension system including the steering box or arm. DW is a pain in the ass to chase down and sometimes even worst to try to fix.
Jay
I believe it's because of the bad TREs so I'm going to change them

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam