Cleaning Polished Aluminum Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I had a little time to clean one wheel. I didn't have time to clean it as well as I liked so here is what I used. (Amazon polishing ball and cone (Mothers Brand) I bought broke)
Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish
Polish Kit from Harbor Freight ($14)
Chemical Guys Wheel Guard
Chemical Guys Blue Applicator

With more time it will come out like new. Just looks stupid I have one shiny wheel and 3 that are dull lol. I finished with spraying all the wheels and fender lines with Meguiars NXT Shine (love that stuff)
1st pic is what it started out as
2nd pic is finished with the tire shine
3rd is the Water beading of the Wheel Guard
Thanks guys for all your help!! Seriously I appreciate it!

20190422_145458.jpg

20190422_163159.jpg

20190422_163202.jpg

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WOW--What a difference
Jay
Yeah I know! HF polishing kit worked good and well worth the money! There are still a few spots that need more work (look in the hole you can see where it needs to be polished more o n the close up pic). I do have a question the kit came with 3 polishing compounds but they are kind of hard. How do you use them? They are kind of shaped like a brick (see pic). Only reason I ask is it says the "Black Emery" one will take out scratches and I have a few on the rim and would like to see if it helps.
Thanks!
Austin

Screenshot_20190422-192214_Google.jpg

aidmyaim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Yeah I know! HF polishing kit worked good and well worth the money! There are still a few spots that need more work (look in the hole you can see where it needs to be polished more o n the close up pic). I do have a question the kit came with 3 polishing compounds but they are kind of hard. How do you use them? They are kind of shaped like a brick (see pic). Only reason I ask is it says the "Black Emery" one will take out scratches and I have a few on the rim and would like to see if it helps.
Thanks!
Austin

View attachment 163731

When polishing metal you always always always use the most smooth material as you possibly can to polish, I tend to try everything else before I use something that’s coarse, but if you get to the point where a finer material isn’t working, start off polishing with using the more coarse material until you can’t see scratches, then move up step by step to the finest. It’s very tedious to do correctly, 95% of people half ass it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro