Cleaning your detailing towels???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I'm new to detailing and I'm curious about how everyone cleans their towels, rags etc when they become dirty. Do you just throw them into the washer with Tide or whatever laundry soap you use or do you use something else? Does using laundry soap effect the overall use of the towels? I've got a pile of towels and I want to keep them prestine. Am I just over thinking this???
For Microfiber towels
Top load washer any soap no softeners normal cycle warm or cold doesn’t matter.
Front load washer I only use the soap ALL Clear comes in a white bottle run on cold cycle only with the extra rinse option.
Dry with no heat for both either air fluff setting or normal with the heat turned off

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I've had good luck with McKee's 37 Microfiber Cleaner. Never use fabric softener. My wife uses these "balls" (google is your friend) in the dryer and they work good and are scent free. They seem to work on my hunting clothes as well. Buy the Mckee's on sale and in the larger size to save $$$. I would also suggest "sorting" your cloths by usage. For example I only use one type or color for top coat finishes. Another for detailing around the house, another for waxing rims, another for wax removal, etc. This keeps me from cross contaminating my cloths. I can then also cost effectively buy new and start them out on top coat and use them down the scale until eventually they become rags.

Rods Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Laramie Crew
Engine
5.7 L V8 Hemi
Just curious, why no softener? Does it put a film on the car or something?

bigdodge

Reaction score
Softener will kinda gumm up the pile of the towel and won't absorb liquids well. I always use woolight with good results.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Harbour Freight usually has "Super Coupons" with 4 microfiber towels for free... Their shop towels are so inexpensive, I don't worry about shop or cleaning towels any more. I use them until they are grody and toss them. They aren't worth the time to take them to the laundromat...

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some of the QUALITY towels that some of us use can cost upward of $30-$40 each.(https://www.autopia-carcare.com/pfm-drying-towel-griots-garage.html#.XHndhcBKj3g) I think this may be the type of towels that are being talked about. I would rather wash them, instead of throwing them out. LOL Cheap microfiber are just that--IMHO Every once in awhile you can find a deal on microfiber towels but I'd still be a little picky.
Jay

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Cloths with 80/20 or better poly-amide ratios are expensive and one would want to get the most use out of them possible. The "free" ones have their purpose but polishing top coat or other sensitive surfaces is not one of them. Not all microfiber cloths are created equal.

Pana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
**WARNING** NERD ALERT

AVOOIIDDD using laundry detergent if you can. There's a ton of MF specific soaps you can buy now days to clean your towels. They contain microscopic abrasives that can get stuck in the microfiber (unfortunately, the only time you'll see it is when it's too late and has already swirled up your paint).

I'm still using the Chemical Guys Microfiber Wash I've had for years because a lot goes a long way (1 cap full per 5-10 towels). Before throwing the towels in i like to just take a wet rag and do a quick wipe on the inside of the washer. After that, I gather the towels that have very little to some signs of dirt on them. Throw those together on a warm DELICATE wash cycle. (you might wanna run your washer on a rinse cycle once you're done so you don't get remaining dirt on your clothes you throw in after). Dry on EXTRA LOW/LOW (this will help maintain the quality) heat WITHOUT dryer sheets unless you wanna spend all day plucking it out of your clean MF's. Any towels that show heavy grease or grime automatically go into my "wheel/rim" pile which never touches the paint again.

clean.jpg

Last edited:

jayhkr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 345 Hemi
I clean mine by throwing the used ones in the trash. :crazy: :)
I always use new ones. It gets pretty expensive, but I'm really fussy. lol (Especially with the '13 Roush Stage 3.)
I only use ADAM'S single ply plush microfiber towels. Sometimes I'll splurge and buy the two ply ones if there are on sale. Possibly the best and softest microfiber towel out there in my opinion. Killer product. Expensive, but so very worth it. (Don't take my word for it, try one and you'll be hooked. ;))

I’d be willing to pay shipping if you sent them to me! Either a medium or large flat rate USPS Priority box!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I use the Kirkland yellow microfiber, I usually start them as body panels/glass///by the time they work down to fender wheel wipe down, they are trash. Just buy a new bundle or two every spring.

RBJRBJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8 MDS VVT eTorque Engine
I use MICROFIBER & FOAM PAD CLEANER sold by Griots Garage. I hand wash, wring towels dry and hand on a towel rack to dry thoroughly. I’ve used it for years now with success.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
not sure if it's in this thread, but chemical guys sells some nice towels and a detergent to clean them. works great.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45