Clever rear seat organizer for Quad Cab needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PedalToTheMetal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hi,

I am always hauling a ton of brochures, folders, samples, small tools, etc. around with me.
I used to have everything in an organizer and a file storage box in the trunk but now replaced my SUV with a RAM 1500 Quad Cab.

It has the rear seat folding platform. With it folded down, there however don't seem to be any good attachment points available. The other thing is, that whatever is laying on the platform, goes flying the first time I have to brake or make a turn, as it doesn't have a lip around it.

Anyways, I am looking for some clever ideas of how to organize my truck's rear seat area and to keep things in place.
The 'best' thing I have come up with so far is make a wooden box, with an open top and covered with carpet, and to bolt it to the folding platform.

I don't need the rear seats, whatever I install can therefore be semi-permanent, as long as it is reversible, if I ever want to sell the truck.

What are your thoughts?

Oliver

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi,

I am always hauling a ton of brochures, folders, samples, small tools, etc. around with me.
I used to have everything in an organizer and a file storage box in the trunk but now replaced my SUV with a RAM 1500 Quad Cab.

It has the rear seat folding platform. With it folded down, there however don't seem to be any good attachment points available. The other thing is, that whatever is laying on the platform, goes flying the first time I have to brake or make a turn, as it doesn't have a lip around it.

Anyways, I am looking for some clever ideas of how to organize my truck's rear seat area and to keep things in place.
The 'best' thing I have come up with so far is make a wooden box, with an open top and covered with carpet, and to bolt it to the folding platform.

I don't need the rear seats, whatever I install can therefore be semi-permanent, as long as it is reversible, if I ever want to sell the truck.

What are your thoughts?

Oliver
If I caught you are purchase I would have told you to get a Rambox bed. That being said if a bed swap is an option you'd entertain you could still go the Rambox route...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

PedalToTheMetal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If I caught you are purchase I would have told you to get a Rambox bed. That being said if a bed swap is an option you'd entertain you could still go the Rambox route...

Thanks for your response!

I would have liked a Rambox, but don't recall ever seeing a used 2018 Bigh Horn with one.
I also don't want to put too much money an effort into this and am therefore looking for a solution that I can either buy or build on a Saturday.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for your response!

I would have liked a Rambox, but don't recall ever seeing a used 2018 Bigh Horn with one.
I also don't want to put too much money an effort into this and am therefore looking for a solution that I can either buy or build on a Saturday.
I understand, just throwing out the bed swap idea because sometimes there are people that will straight swap for free, do the labor, and if you are lucky also have the right color!

KPMH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
May i suggest a simple solution

First don't use wood on the fold flat floor, on the chance that you are involved in a severe accident, wood hurts if you are struck by it

A better solution is to use plastic bins like you can find at places like Home Depot.
Then take the type of velcro that is sticky on one side & has the Hook & loop style on the other side.
Attach the sticky side to the bottom of the plastic bins & the carpet that covers the Fold Flat floor grabs onto the hook & loop side.
The hook & loop part grips nicely to the carpet, but it will detach with a good tug.

I use this solution to hold my First Aid & Travel kits in place, they never move, until i jerk on them

I see that the organizer mentioned above, has the velcro i mentioned glued to what i think is the panels

https://www.amazon.com/TrunkCratePr...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PedalToTheMetal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thank you guys, I love the velcro + plastic bin idea!
The organizer, that I already have, didn't come with velcro, so I will get one like above. For my file storage box and maybe an additional plastic bin, I will simply get some velcro with adhesive backing from Amazon!

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I like the plastic bin idea as GTyankee suggested. I've done that for rear storage on other vehicles i've owned.

Is your 2018 quad cab a fold-flat with the split rear seat or does it have the carpeted recesses under a once piece rear seat bottom?

You can remove the rear seat relatively easily. Four 19mm bolts that are in TIGHT. If you want to keep the seat and are willing to remove the bolts temporarily, you can do a simple mod that allows the rear seat back to fold forward, giving you some more storage space behind the seat back.

OP
OP
P

PedalToTheMetal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I like the plastic bin idea as GTyankee suggested. I've done that for rear storage on other vehicles i've owned.

Is your 2018 quad cab a fold-flat with the split rear seat or does it have the carpeted recesses under a once piece rear seat bottom?

You can remove the rear seat relatively easily. Four 19mm bolts that are in TIGHT. If you want to keep the seat and are willing to remove the bolts temporarily, you can do a simple mod that allows the rear seat back to fold forward, giving you some more storage space behind the seat back.

I am not exactly sure what you mean: My rear seats are split, the platform also folds out in two pieces.
I have seen the seat back fold down mod but would probably rather just remove the seat(s) altogether.

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
May i suggest a simple solution

First don't use wood on the fold flat floor, on the chance that you are involved in a severe accident, wood hurts if you are struck by it

A better solution is to use plastic bins like you can find at places like Home Depot.
Then take the type of velcro that is sticky on one side & has the Hook & loop style on the other side.
Attach the sticky side to the bottom of the plastic bins & the carpet that covers the Fold Flat floor grabs onto the hook & loop side.
The hook & loop part grips nicely to the carpet, but it will detach with a good tug.

I use this solution to hold my First Aid & Travel kits in place, they never move, until i jerk on them

I see that the organizer mentioned above, has the velcro i mentioned glued to what i think is the panels

https://www.amazon.com/TrunkCratePr...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

My wife had this exact storage container in the rear of her Durango..held everyhting she needed for being on the road, extra water, blankets, emergency equipment, etc. that thing never moved and with a good tug, it came loose.
She actually had it in her 1999 Bravada and moved in into the Durango. Now she has a 2020 Laramie and all the storage boxes and compartments work for what she needs now...plus a Truxedo bed luggage kit.

MikeSumthin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as the brochures and folders are concerned, get the organizers that attach to the rear of the two front seats...
They even have some slick tactical ones on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Joe_Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a milk crate with a bungie cord on the smaller jump seat portion of the flat floor panel.

I can shoot some pics in the morning if you want.

sent from a device using an app

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45