CLUNK after Eibach Level and Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ErickTAR21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Little back story. I got the eibach kit (front shocks&springs and rear shocks&springs) and installed it myself (never again). I drove it for maybe 500 miles before I got it aligned, no issues up to this point. Drove great and straight so I put it off for a couple weeks.

The truck was toe-d in pretty good from the level according to the alignment shop (Firestone on Ft. Gordon). The first alignment shop said they could not get the tie rods loose for the alignment and wanted to charge me 150 (the alignment was free since i got the firestone lifetime alignment). I thought this was just a way for them to get money so i went to another shop and they made no mention of the tie rods being seized. After the alignment I get a clunk, from what appears to be the front left of the truck (driver side wheel) in the following conditions;

Going straight and breaking hard enough for the front end to dip and CLUNK.
Slow, hard left turn.
Fast, slight left turn.
Slow, slight left turn over a bump (2 inch lip on driveway)

As far as I have tested, it is a single clunk that doesnt "unclunk" in order to re-clunk.

I tried to have my wife drive in and out of the driveway over and over so see if i could feel where the vibration/clunk was coming from while I was on my creeper. Very unsafe, I do not recommend. But i couldnt feel anything distinct coming from either the driveshaft, steering rod or wheel bearing.

Of note, when rotating the driver side wheel/tire it sounds like a slight grinding sound coming from the wheel bearing. Which i will replace....soon-ish

My question is, what could the issue be? Could the alignment shop have done something to cause this? or is the wheel bearing the culprit? Or is it something else?

20200927_125627.jpg CV Axles.jpg Side Wheel Level.jpg

Last edited:

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
first thing...some of us have black background, so blue text on black is impossible to see. Second, did you tighten everything down tight?

OP
OP
ErickTAR21

ErickTAR21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
first thing...some of us have black background, so blue text on black is impossible to see. Second, did you tighten everything down tight?

I checked all related nuts/bolts with the level after I did it, and I checked behind the shop after the alignment. Since thats when the noise decided to show up.

Also the ball joints look good.

Dylan Campbell

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Subscribing to this. I am chasing a similar clunk after removing a couple inches of lift from the front of my truck and having it aligned. I believe I have mine narrowed down to the sway bar links.

OP
OP
ErickTAR21

ErickTAR21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Subscribing to this. I am chasing a similar clunk after removing a couple inches of lift from the front of my truck and having it aligned. I believe I have mine narrowed down to the sway bar links.

I also thought it might have been the sway bar links by the looks of their "angle" so i removed both the front sway bar end links and it didnt do anything but make my truck LEAN in turns lol.

Did you give that a try?

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
most of the time people fix the clunk by tightening the nut on top of the strut. That's hard to get sufficiently tight.

OP
OP
ErickTAR21

ErickTAR21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
most of the time people fix the clunk by tightening the nut on top of the strut. That's hard to get sufficiently tight.

1. That sucks, I have to take off the strut assembly to do that.
2. The clunk came after the alignment, not after the install. So I kinda ruled out the strut assembly (coilover?), was that a wrong assumption?

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
then you should recheck all the bolts/nuts on the upper control arms, sway bar links, and even the 3 nuts on top of the shock assembly.

Dylan Campbell

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also thought it might have been the sway bar links by the looks of their "angle" so i removed both the front sway bar end links and it didnt do anything but make my truck LEAN in turns lol.

Did you give that a try?

I did, and my clunk disappeared with the sway links removed so at this point I am quite sure that is the cause. I have the RC links that are 'universal' for their 4" and 6" kits which means they are far too long for my 4" lift. Hoping a shorter set does the trick.

OP
OP
ErickTAR21

ErickTAR21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WELL, I just hand/ratchet checked most of those, except the driver side top center strut bolt, I eyeballed/fingered that AND the it is 1 1/2 - 2 threads "less threaded" than the passenger side strut. FUuuuuuuuck, I guess i know what I'm doing sometime this week.

Question, does tightening that bolt compress the spring? Or in other words, in tightening that spring am I "fighting" the spring.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
you are tightening against the entire assembly. You will need something to keep the center shaft piece from moving while you tighten the nut, which is why it's usually loose.

OP
OP
ErickTAR21

ErickTAR21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was hoping since it came up after the alignment it was something related to it. But yea I remember how hard it was tightening that bolt. I'll have to take that whole side apart again. IF thats not it then IDK i might just ride it till it breaks. Im just worried the issue is with the steering column or the front diff aka expensive/time consuming

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd think you'll need to put a couple of springs compressors to close the spring a little bit before tightening that nut to make sure you wont mess the threads on the stud ?

OP
OP
ErickTAR21

ErickTAR21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd think you'll need to put a couple of springs compressors to close the spring a little bit before tightening that nut to make sure you wont mess the threads on the stud ?

Youre 100% right, I borrowed two sets from advanced auto when i put it in, i still have them for some reason. But I really dont want to mess with that again.

Before i do, ill have my wife re-create the issue on a slow left turn into my driveway and feel up there for a pop.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
just watch your fingers up there with moving parts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member