Clunk during braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maverick7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just looking for ideas here....

2016 Ram 1500

No modifications

30k miles

About 5,000 miles ago, I developed a clunk during braking. It seems to only happen with a slow, gradual deceleration and the clunk can be heard when the truck is just about to stop (i.e. At its slowest point, right before stopping). If I jam on the brakes and come to a stop I don’t hear noise. I don’t hear noise braking in reverse. There is no other noise associated with it: going over rough ground, uneven terrain, etc.

The clunk is relatively audible, and can likely be heard from outside the vehicle. It seems to be coming from the driver side front end. I do feel a vibration simultaneously with the clunk under my feet. Almost like somebody hit the underside of the floorboard with a hammer. I don’t feel it in the brake pedal or the steering wheel. It’s hard for me to describe the sound other than a “clunking” noise, although it doesn’t sound like typical metal to metal contact (which I would call a “ping” sound).

It doesn’t happen every time, and it’s hard to replicate, it just seems to happen at random intervals.

Its been into the dealership twice and they have found nothing. I have backed out and re-tightened every suspension bolt I can find. Dealership ruled out ball joint and tie rod issues.

TLDR: Clunk sound from drivers side front end during braking, just before stopping.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

TorRedRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Subscribed. I've had this same issue since I lifted my tuck a few months ago with a 4" Superlift with Bilsteins. Exact same thing you describe above and it annoys the crap out of me. I've had it in twice and it's hard to hears sometimes and I can't get it to do with with my mechanic in the car and I can feel a light vibration in the steering wheel as well.

My truck is a 2016 Sport 4x4.

OP
OP
M

Maverick7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The problem was solved. View the link below from a different forum. The video of the issue can be found towards the end of the thread.

it ended up being a seized lower control arm bolt. The bolt on the forward side of the drivers side control alarm. The bolt was “tight”, when all bolts were torqued to factory specs. But seeing as it was seized, there was no way of knowing it was actually just stuck.

https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/clunk-during-braking-2016-1500.272358/