"clunk" noise during start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremykutcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 1500 Sport that I just got and I have been having an issue with a loud mechanical clunk or bang once in a while when I start my truck. It sounds bad. Long story short, I've had it to the dealership several times with no conclusion and I've raised enough hell that Chrysler Canada is now involved. They want me to bring it in for a tech to take a look. Is anyone else having issues with this??

Duane Pipes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 1500 Sport that I just got and I have been having an issue with a loud mechanical clunk or bang once in a while when I start my truck. It sounds bad. Long story short, I've had it to the dealership several times with no conclusion and I've raised enough hell that Chrysler Canada is now involved. They want me to bring it in for a tech to take a look. Is anyone else having issues with this??
Can u share in a video or yt link

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I too notice a "clunk" type noise on start up, not sure what it is but has not thrown codes or been a pain in operation. I am going to assume that it may have something to do with low oil pressure at and above the crank when you first start. Just my guess.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I as well get a clunk at times. Had one sound real loud the other day. I also run redline 5w30 so not sure myself.

Ron Deskins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have this popping sound when I start mine. Its kinda muffled and sounds like Its coming from exhaust but sounds like from the engine compartment.

Btp 2332

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear a clunk when I start and turn off the truck. Sounds like elctric emergency brake to me

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Running 5w-30 oil will do this on my 2016 - at least I think it is the same as you are describing.
If feels more like a backfire/buck on startup - my theory is it has to do with the VVT cam sweep on startup with the heavier oil.
Mine doesn't do it with 5w-20/0w30 mix.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have this popping sound when I start mine. Its kinda muffled and sounds like Its coming from exhaust but sounds like from the engine compartment.

I hear a clunk when I start and turn off the truck. Sounds like elctric emergency brake to me

Hi @Ron Deskins & @Btp 2332 - If at any point you decide to address this with your dealers, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message for an additional layer of support through that process.

Mark
RamCares

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I have this "clunk" also. Was wondering if it was some pre-ignition happening during startup......

msedly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I get this from time to time as well. There's always some popping and clicking which I'm assuming are just sensors during startup, but the clunk does worry me a bit. Sounds like it's pretty common so I hope there is a good reason for it...

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I think I have this "clunk" also. Was wondering if it was some pre-ignition happening during startup......

I get this from time to time as well. There's always some popping and clicking which I'm assuming are just sensors during startup, but the clunk does worry me a bit. Sounds like it's pretty common so I hope there is a good reason for it...

Hi @Ram 1970 & @msedly - If you decide to address this with your dealers, please know that our team is just a private message away and more than happy to escalate cases on your behalf for further support through that process.

Mark
RamCares

Clairmarine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very simple fix it has to do with timing of letting off the brake pedal right after you press the start button before the engine starts I assume it is a vacuum actuator getting vacuum from the engine making the thumping noise it solves the problem 100% of the time

Graham Davies

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
My wifes 2014 Dodge Durango has done it since we've had it (6 years) when you start it first time in the morning. I too think it has to do with having to apply the brake first before I push the start button. Hasn't caused a problem so far.

Travelingman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I literally just picked up a 19, 13k miles. It does this same noise when starting that everyone is explaining. I’m gonna follow this thread and see where this leads! .

FYI - still love the Ram so far. Zero complaints.

-Travelingman

Joker22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the extremely load bang on start up to the point where people on my street have made mention of it. Dealership has no clue and said “it’s probably the oil I used”. It’s ridiculous. I wonder if it gets figured out once warranty expires.

msedly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My issue is the front driveshaft. It sounded like the starter not disengaging properly, but I hopped under the truck to get a video and noticed the driveshaft issue. I ended up bringing it to the dealer. After some investigating they noticed that the transfer case locks up as part of the start-up process along with all the clicking and popping of the various sensors. Sometimes the transfer case locks and it pops forward a little bit like it's a half a tooth off. I was told that it was "normal" just like everyone else and that it wouldn't hurt the truck.

This was back around the first of the year when I had all this figured out. I ended up bringing the truck back for some other transmission issues (slow shifting 1-2 & 2-3, sometimes a double-shift) and asked about the transfer case issue to see if there was any update. Nothing yet. I was also told that the double-shift was "normal" because a couple other trucks on the lot did the same thing. This is after they admitted there was an issue and replaced the valve body. The dealer was trying to get the transmission replaced under warranty as well but Ram said that it wouldn't fix the issue so they didn't approve it. They sent me home knowing there was an issue and had no solution.

They did tell me that it wouldn't hurt the truck so at least that's a plus (heavy sarcasm intended)... :/