Clunk when letting off the gas ? It’s annoying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Well I’m glad I’m not the only one lol. I really want to get a dash cam soon and maybe that’ll pick up this sound/clunk/jerky feeling on video. Sometimes it’s pretty bad and I cringe every time it happens

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?

bamafan76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well it’s going on day 3 and I haven’t received an update on it. It’s in for this, the tailgate recall, and the issue many here have had with filling up with gas and continued clicking periodically.

Hopefully she comes back all taken care of!

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Well it’s going on day 3 and I haven’t received an update on it. It’s in for this, the tailgate recall, and the issue many here have had with filling up with gas and continued clicking periodically.

Hopefully she comes back all taken care of!

I got the tailgate one done and a few times while locking the tailgate it made like a machine gun fire noise. Like a 2-3 second loud and noticeable. I’m gonna bring it up on my next service. I don’t think it was done 100% right

PHILKATY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2019 18K on it and just got the truck used and it does the same thing. I am going to take it in and see if it is the trany or the drive train.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I just bought a CPO 2017 3 weeks ago with the 8 speed and hemi. Mine also "clinks" when starting off from a stop light if I have been stopped for say 30 seconds or longer.
Happens only when the truck and tranny are warmed good, and maybe 30% of the time.
I also get the "clunk" sometimes when I come to a stop, maybe 5% of the time.
definitely feels like its a shift into low gear thing.
Been back to the dealer 2 times already and they say they can't make it happen.
Got another appointment Wednesday to have the travelling super tech or whatever they call him check it out.
Hoping they can figure it out.
Sounds like I'm not alone on this one.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I just bought a CPO 2017 3 weeks ago with the 8 speed and hemi. Mine also "clunks" when starting off from a stop light if I have been stopped for say 30 seconds or longer.
Happens only when the truck and tranny are warmed good, and maybe 30% of the time.
Got another appointment Wednesday to have the travelling super tech or whatever they call him check it out.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I just bought a CPO 2017 3 weeks ago with the 8 speed and hemi. Mine also "clunks" when starting off from a stop light if I have been stopped for say 30 seconds or longer.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does it as well, I think its the Trans downshift going to check if its the same gear when downshifting, or backlash in the rear end, that use to be able to fix by shimming the gears, but I really think on trucks they have that backlash in there for towing, my fords had that but it use to be the 2 piece driveshaft spline would need to be lubed, I haven't checked mine for a 2 piece shaft, the longer wheel base like crew cabs have

bamafan76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have any of you tried lubing the driveshaft splines on the driveshaft?

So I’m going to be honest and say I don’t where those are and what to lube them with.

I got my truck back yesterday and like many here, the dealership says they could not reproduce the symptoms. They said the tech and the shop foreman both tried with no success.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look at the driveshaft near where it goes into the transfer case or transmission - look to see if it has an accordian boot on it.
If it does the splines are in there, loosen the boot and clean and then lube with marine grease.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey folks. It happens once in a while. Mostly city driving. I let off the gas if coming to a stop and slow down and I’ll get a very noticeable clunk. Feels like it’s coming from the back but I can’t be sure.

It’s loud. I can most certainly feel it through the truck.

Transmission slamming gears ? Driveshaft acting up ? Axle gears jamming up ?

Thanks folks!

MOTOR MOUNTS

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Mine does this too. 8 speed. Dealer has gone over the driveline and says it is "tight". I think it's the trans slamming down a gear.

My 2019 18K on it and just got the truck used and it does the same thing. I am going to take it in and see if it is the trany or the drive train.

Hello Everyone,
We are sorry to hear about you recent concerns with your Ram. If you would like additional assistance while working alongside your dealers, please reach out us privately.
Laura
Ram Cares

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
We are sorry to hear about you recent concerns with your Ram. If you would like additional assistance while working alongside your dealers, please reach out us privately.
Laura
Ram Cares
Are you able to assist with Canadian customers? Last time I was told US only.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Are you able to assist with Canadian customers? Last time I was told US only.

Hello autumnwalker,
You are correct and we certainly apologize for not recognizing this. If you are still interested in further assistance I have attached the Canadian Customer Care number below.
1-800-361-3700
Laura
Ram Cares

joeagri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have exactly the same issues. Does the same as you described to a "T". I have 18,000 brought it to the dealer 3 times the past year, they road with me , felt the clunking and could not find the problem. Basically said "it is what it is". Shouldn't have this problem with such an expensive truck.

lahart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Hey folks. It happens once in a while. Mostly city driving. I let off the gas if coming to a stop and slow down and I’ll get a very noticeable clunk. Feels like it’s coming from the back but I can’t be sure.

It’s loud. I can most certainly feel it through the truck.

Transmission slamming gears ? Driveshaft acting up ? Axle gears jamming up ?

Thanks folks!

I had this issue a few months ago. Turns out it was the leaf springs in the back! They moved out of place. I asked my mechanic how/why. He said sometimes they aren't torqued as much & can be moved around when your hauling.(I pull a 2 car gooseneck with mine. Only has 31k miles). He tightened the leaf springs up & I haven't heard that noise since! I hope your issue is a simple fix like mine. Good luck!