Clunking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had a truck come in last week with strange noises. Turned out to be the front sway bar and rear shocks mounted upside down.

If you can catch it on video (I know it’s very hard) I can try and figure it out. I’m sure it’s the tiniest movement ever that’s the ones I use a stethoscope to find
So may have been one of my rear shocks. I had an issue with the 5160 I purchased and nick was taking care of that so I had my old 5100s in which at the time last week when I removed them had over 30,000 miles on them. Nick ended up cutting me a great deal on fox 2.0 that I could not turn down so I installed the fox 2.0 rears and have been pretty happy so far. Had all my tires rebalanced again by a new off-road shop local to me that deal only with oversized tires and tractor tires. No more vibrations until 75mph. Before I had vibrations around 55-60 very slightly and got worse as I went faster. But my point in this post is that one of my rear 5100s had air in it and I could easily compress it by hand about 1/2” without resistance and could hear sloshing when shaken. Good chance my shock was part of the issue. Not sure what made it go bad but guessing the off balance tire. Hoping my Mickey Thompsons last a good while and don’t give me issues with balance again. If they do I’ll likely be switching to cooper discoverer at3 xlt in a 285/75r18 or a toyo at3 in the 285/75. Any negatives on those tires in your opinion? I’ve been happy with the mickeys minus the need for the rebalance but trying to bring weight and rolling resistance down by going narrower than my current 305/70r18

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How those Fox Shocks holding up? Thinking about it for my dually.
I love them. Being custom valved to my driving habits is great. I could have done without the dsc adjustability since I’ve basically left it at the minimum setting anyways. The dsc is helpful if I’m hauling but I never remember to adjust it. Would definitely do it again.