Clunking when turning left

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well, another odd one. Bluntly put, when I turn my truck to the left, there is some kind of clunking noise coming from the passenger side. It seems to only happen if there is some kind of bump or elevation change in the road while turning. So, if I'm in a parking lot, I can turn hard left and there's no problem but if I turn even moderately left and I go over a bump or elevation change, something on the passenger side makes a clunking noise. I can feel it a little in the steering and even through the floor. Kind of like there's a dude tied underneath the truck and he's hitting the floor with a hammer.

I first noticed this when I took my truck to the shop to fix the binding and general slop issues I had while turning in any direction. The new passenger side tie rod fixed both problems but the clunk still persists. The problem only happens when I turn to the left. No problems turning to the right.

My first thought is ball joints but I'm curious as to what y'all think. I'm gonna dig up the jack, lift up the front end and yank on some stuff to look for slop anywhere but there really isn't a whole lot of stuff on the passenger side that I can figure would do this.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If it's all while turning I'd be making sure your new tires aren't rubbing.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Gotcha. Verify the u-joint on that side is in good shape.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
No slop in the u-joint. Good and tight.

Possible issue with the CAD? Can't see anything from the outside. Maybe the slip collar is "slipping" over the outer axle shaft due to inertia while turning to the left and grinding into the splines? What would cause the collar to loosen up and go "rogue?" I know I've got a Posi-Lok setup which is totally different from the OEM vacuum-actuated deal but I didn't have any issues last year...

I'm thinking of engaging the front axle, going for a drive and see if the issue still persists. I expect the usual bucking under sharp cornering but maybe the clunking disappears. If it does, it would certainly narrow things down...

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Try it and see.

My friend Pepper flipped the collar on his truck and never had any issue with his axle bucking with it permanatly engaged, it's when you apply power to the axle that causes it to buck.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Okay, it's been a bit but I've been trying to pinpoint the problem as much as I can. Honestly, all I can say is that it's definitely coming from the passenger side front.

I engaged the 4x4 and didn't notice anything different other than the usual bucking at/near full lock on any surface other than total mush.

Nearing the top of my lane, you can either turn left or right. 99% of the time, I turn right but today, I turned left to head towards the bank (yeah, I'm not fortunate enough to do that very often, LOL). At the end of the lane is a slight but dense buildup of dirt and gravel as a result of us and the county pushing gravel in and out of the entrance. Going over this while turning left produces a very nasty clunking/grinding noise. Yet, if I'm on flat ground, like say a parking lot, nothing notable happens. The problem is definitely sensitive to any kind of sudden, large change in elevation in the terrain while turning left.

Maybe worth noting, while driving, I can hear some kind of scratchy, metallic sound through the air vents in the dash. The faster the truck goes, the faster this sound "pulses." To an untrained ear, you wouldn't notice it but I've been driving this rig for years and I know that it's there. At city speeds, say 30 or less, the sound is non-existent but it starts coming on at around 40.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Might check u joints in the driveshaft as well. Pull the cad cover and verify nothing fishy there. Bad steering linkages and track bar could do this too

Reactions: Mop

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
Re-reading your post makes me think track bar is a good possibility

Mine made noise on a new track bar with not having the lower bolt not tight enough. Drove me nuts until I hit it with a mean 1/2" drive impact.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Okay, just got the truck back from the shop. Mechanic found a loose track bar bolt and tightened it up. No charge.

Which was good because unfortunately, it did not resolve the problem. Dammit. The steering feels a little easier now though so at least for that. He did not find anything else wrong so it looks like I'm on my own now.

I got this real bad feeling that it's something in the axle. Guess it's just back to the drawing board at this point, LOL.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Think I just figured it out and it might be much simpler than I thought. Turns out, if the truck is leaning to the right on an incline, the "clunking" noise starts and persists even when I'm just sitting in park. In contrast, if the truck is leaning to the left, the "ringing" and "clunking" stops and the exhaust sounds normal (ignoring the obvious "hole in the case" sound). I crawled underneath and there's this really loud rattling sound coming from either the muffler or the cat. The muffler's pretty much shot anyway so I think it's that. By design, it has a wing plate inside the case and I think that the plate just rotted off and is rattling around inside. Gonna get the muffler replaced ASAP and see what happens.

I'm really starting to hate aluminized steel mufflers. They're supposed to last a few years but I've barely gotten one year out of the last few. Think it's about time to invest in a total stainless system.

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Think I just figured it out and it might be much simpler than I thought. Turns out, if the truck is leaning to the right on an incline, the "clunking" noise starts and persists even when I'm just sitting in park. In contrast, if the truck is leaning to the left, the "ringing" and "clunking" stops and the exhaust sounds normal (ignoring the obvious "hole in the case" sound). I crawled underneath and there's this really loud rattling sound coming from either the muffler or the cat. The muffler's pretty much shot anyway so I think it's that. By design, it has a wing plate inside the case and I think that the plate just rotted off and is rattling around inside. Gonna get the muffler replaced ASAP and see what happens.

I'm really starting to hate aluminized steel mufflers. They're supposed to last a few years but I've barely gotten one year out of the last few. Think it's about time to invest in a total stainless system.

I am experiencing simila problems.
I recently had to replace my Wheel Bearing (driver side front), and in doing so the axle would not release from the front differential (assuming the locking pin is stuck) so we removed the entire wheel hub assembly. (lower, upper, and steering rack) and then had to remove the wheel bearing from the assembly using a press since it was so rusted together.
Now experiencing a clunking noise when I turn left and feel it in petal. It occurs more when I accelerate but doesn't sound like a rhythmic thing (Wheel bearing was clear there was a problem and consistently made noise.)
I checked my new tires and they don't seem to be rubbing.
I know it isn't my muffler and I feel it in the driver front.
Any suggestions?