Clutch Fan Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have a 17 Ram Hemi with the standard clutch fan and was thinking about converting it to the 18 Ram electric fan. Any one done this? Would this be a plug and play install? Benefits?

Elec Cooling Fan - Mopar (55056948AI)

mop-52014772af_sn_xl.jpg

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the trucks have a secondary electric fan already for the ac. That picture is the secondary fan already on your truck. The upgrade is removing both fans and installing the v6 fan from the early 4th gen trucks and tuning it for that

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
What are your current mods and future goals? Didn't consider this until I had I/H/E/180T then custom tuned to really free up the engine response.

Not to mention oil temps getting back to 210(and much quicker to operating temp than stock) combined for an instant 1-2mpg improvement on the highway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What are your current mods and future goals? Didn't consider this until I had I/H/E/180T then custom tuned to really free up the engine response.

No engine mods other than my Magnaflow exhaust and a K&N filter. Would always be nice to have better cooling.

HemiMax05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge ram
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently did this as well on a 2011, i got 2 v6 fans from LQK for $220 from trucks that had 60k miles and another with 47K (another for back up). Make sure you look for a fan from a 11-12 V6 as the fans changed from earlier models. 180stat and efan are a great mod but luckily for me having a 5speed with the updated trans tune my trans has been running hotter than usual.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Early model v6 fan is the one needed 2009-2012. The later fans have a different connector and will not be a direct plug in unless you cut and splice the existing fan connector onto the new fan.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
For what it's worth, the fan you have already on your '17 is exactly the same as the fan you're looking to replace it with, I think they upgraded it on the '14 and up rams. I just did this on my '18, I purchased the V6 fan and other than a little bit better shrouding, it's the exact same motor. Honestly all you need to do is get rid of the clutch fan, the electric fan will work fine. If you wanted to go with a 180 degree t-stat then you'd probably want a tune to set the fan kick on temp lower. I can tell you with very spirited driving in hot temps my '18, with a 180 t-stat NEVER gets hot and the stock fan is more than enough to cool the motor.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is the correct pic for the 2018 Ram Fan.

View attachment 165450

That is the pentastar PWM Fan. That fan will bolt onto the radiator but is not plug and play. The Hemi PCM will not read the PWM signal. I tried it, even tried to get the tuner, Jay Green to fire it. The 2019 Hemi Ram's now use the PWM fan.

You need the old style DC V6 fan for plug and play.

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That is the pentastar PWM Fan. That fan will bolt onto the radiator but is not plug and play. The Hemi PCM will not read the PWM signal. I tried it, even tried to get the tuner, Jay Green to fire it. The 2019 Hemi Ram's now use the PWM fan.

You need the old style DC V6 fan for plug and play.

Thanks for the info!!

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
So just buy this fan ind install it. That's in? Any programing or wiring needed?

Yes, but to get the benfits of it you will need a tune to lower the fan settings.

But after reading Jasme OBrien's post. I do think the 13+ got a better E-fan. So really all you need to do it take off the clutch fan.

I recently did this as well on a 2011, i got 2 v6 fans from LQK for $220 from trucks that had 60k miles and another with 47K (another for back up). Make sure you look for a fan from a 11-12 V6 as the fans changed from earlier models. 180stat and efan are a great mod but luckily for me having a 5speed with the updated trans tune my trans has been running hotter than usual.

What are your temps at. I will say one thing about the 09-12 with the 5/6 speed. It runs pretty cool for a trans. Mine I don't think as ever been over 180-190*. It stays around 160 for the most part. May hit the 170s on a hot day in traffic.

For what it's worth, the fan you have already on your '17 is exactly the same as the fan you're looking to replace it with, I think they upgraded it on the '14 and up rams. I just did this on my '18, I purchased the V6 fan and other than a little bit better shrouding, it's the exact same motor. Honestly all you need to do is get rid of the clutch fan, the electric fan will work fine. If you wanted to go with a 180 degree t-stat then you'd probably want a tune to set the fan kick on temp lower. I can tell you with very spirited driving in hot temps my '18, with a 180 t-stat NEVER gets hot and the stock fan is more than enough to cool the motor.

Looking at the pics. The fan I bought and that fan don't look a like.

With that said, I remember now that the 13+ got a better E-fan and taking the clutch fan off is all you need to do for this mod. The newer stock E-fan cooled the motor fine.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes, but to get the benfits of it you will need a tune to lower the fan settings.

But after reading Jasme OBrien's post. I do think the 13+ got a better E-fan. So really all you need to do it take off the clutch fan.

What are your temps at. I will say one thing about the 09-12 with the 5/6 speed. It runs pretty cool for a trans. Mine I don't think as ever been over 180-190*. It stays around 160 for the most part. May hit the 170s on a hot day in traffic.

Looking at the pics. The fan I bought and that fan don't look a like.

With that said, I remember now that the 13+ got a better E-fan and taking the clutch fan off is all you need to do for this mod. The newer stock E-fan cooled the motor fine.

The stock AC E-Fan on my 16 wasn't bad, but I wouldn't trust it outside of running empty. I tested just running the AC E-Fan briefly in-between removing the clutch fan and installing my V6 efan. The V6 fan was much better at dealing with the heat soak after a few highway pulls in the dead of summer. Tuned and a 180 I can tow pretty much anything one would tow with a half ton and I wouldn't even bother if I was running just the AC fan based on my experience empty playing around.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The V6 fan is also larger in diameter than the newer efan - by newer I mean stock 5.7 efan on my 2016.

So, it isn't only the shroud, but a larger diameter.

Also, the motors are different part numbers but look alike - I don't know if they are actually different or it was just a year thing - my V6 efan was from a model a couple of years older than my 16.

IMO, the stock 16 efan is more efficient if you leave the stock shroud in place vs. removing it all - it cooled my 16 towing my boat in the heat of florida during the summer.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Yeah, looking at that pic. That newer e-fan does not look as big as the V6 fan. The blades definitely look smaller. Probably just more efficient than the 09-12 stock e-fan.

So I guess replacing it with the V6 fan wouldn't hurt.

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless I happen to miss it, but what about the grille shutters? I believe I saw on YouTube, Boosted Motorsports had to do a grille shutter delete because on the highway the shutters Wil stay closed until the engine reaches 203 even with a 180 tstat and v6 fan swap. That would still have to be done correct?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The shutters on my 16 will stay closed at highway speeds until
A. the coolant reaches low 220's
B. Trans temp reaches 196+
C. not sure what A/C parameters are to open them.
D. supposedly over 80 some mph - I have not verified this though.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Unless I happen to miss it, but what about the grille shutters? I believe I saw on YouTube, Boosted Motorsports had to do a grille shutter delete because on the highway the shutters Wil stay closed until the engine reaches 203 even with a 180 tstat and v6 fan swap. That would still have to be done correct?

I had to kill mine to get the most out of my 180 swap. I also replaced the grille with a cheap matte black grille that doesn't have any of the air intake restrictions the stock one on my lonestar did.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

That all depend on your factory tuning.

My temps coolant temps stay below 195 with the grill shutters in place. Unless I change the transmission thermostat it stays at 190 regardless. Might switch it out to a 180 in the future with pan/fluid change.

My favorite is the oil sits right around 200 and hits up to 220. Before any of these mods my oil would be at 220 hitting as high as 250.

To sum it up Greene Racing does my PCM/TCM tuning. V6 fan is about $100 or less. 180 coolant thermostat is $40 + or -. Also don't forget $20 for the pink or purple to fill up the Rad.

I'm really enjoying freeing up that clutch fan. Hunk o junk :dogpile: