Code dilemmas/P0138/P0132

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orionlover69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Other than the normal problems I have a 2001 2500 SLT Laramie 4 door Ram with a 5.9 L. I had recently popped a code for P0138 and after replacing it with the crossover Bosch 13280 O2 sensor, now its popping for the upstream sensor having the short to positive which I believe is P0132. Anyone got input before I replace that one too? I'm on here once in a while so I'll fill details in since this is my first posted question for the vets on here to help or anyone really. I don't want to end up chasing parts that I don't need. Could it be an injection issue or timing which is not likely since I just did a timing set according to the explicit instructions on installation. Plus I'm a diesel and auto mechanic but I'm unfamiliar with Dodges set up or their common issues with the 2nd gen Magnums. Thanks to anyone with any input.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Other than the normal problems I have a 2001 2500 SLT Laramie 4 door Ram with a 5.9 L. I had recently popped a code for P0138 and after replacing it with the crossover Bosch 13280 O2 sensor, now its popping for the upstream sensor having the short to positive which I believe is P0132. Anyone got input before I replace that one too? I'm on here once in a while so I'll fill details in since this is my first posted question for the vets on here to help or anyone really. I don't want to end up chasing parts that I don't need. Could it be an injection issue or timing which is not likely since I just did a timing set according to the explicit instructions on installation. Plus I'm a diesel and auto mechanic but I'm unfamiliar with Dodges set up or their common issues with the 2nd gen Magnums. Thanks to anyone with any input.

Check the Oxygen Sensor fuse in the PDC under the hood. Normally a short to voltage will blow this fuse. A short to voltage could come from a number of places. If the oxygen sensor you installed was wired incorrectly at the connector the B+ circuit could be providing voltage to the ground circuit which would blow the fuse. Also, I would visually inspect the wiring for the upstream and downstream oxygen sensors to make sure they are properly retained to keep them from touching the exhaust and melting the wires.

If the fuse is blown, disconnect both oxygen sensors. Replace the fuse and connect one sensor at a time to see if it blows the fuse after you plug it in. Do this with both sensors to see if either one blows the fuse.

OP
OP
orionlover69

orionlover69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Check the Oxygen Sensor fuse in the PDC under the hood. Normally a short to voltage will blow this fuse. A short to voltage could come from a number of places. If the oxygen sensor you installed was wired incorrectly at the connector the B+ circuit could be providing voltage to the ground circuit which would blow the fuse. Also, I would visually inspect the wiring for the upstream and downstream oxygen sensors to make sure they are properly retained to keep them from touching the exhaust and melting the wires.

If the fuse is blown, disconnect both oxygen sensors. Replace the fuse and connect one sensor at a time to see if it blows the fuse after you plug it in. Do this with both sensors to see if either one blows the fuse.
Fuse wasn't blown. I replaced the ECM several months ago with a used unit on Ebay from a company that does refurbishing and recovery of electronic equipment and devices. They were above average reputable and it was plug and play. My primary concern is that if it is the ECM, I'm up that creek but this time I'm without a boat. It was only $140 for the unit. But right now thats a lot of money. Could it possibly be a wiring issue? (As I mentioned I am a diesel and auto mechanic but electrical issues are probably the most in lacking of my skills) I'll check the wires which is a plausible problem due to the fact that the engine is not the original OEM installed in the truck when it was manufactured. The harness may have been damaged from what looks like a fire or major overheating engine burnt the wiring good but not unusable. One would reckon that this fire caused whatever damage that would require replacing the ECM but the Unit was needing replaced due to a motherboard short caused by heat expansion and contraction over many years. If I remember correctly, my scanner shows the date as 1998 but being a 2001 truck, could the slight change in design even though both are 2nd generation cause a discrepancy? Also I believe if the two sensors are the same part number, I can swap the old upstream with the old downstream. I'll check on that one. But if there's something I'm missing, I'd continue to appreciate your help my good friend. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this. Have a good weekend. Screenshot_20191102-122956_CM Browser.jpg