Code P0456 / vent valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian V

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
I got the P0456 code on my 2010 5.7L hemi a few weeks ago. I replaced the gas cap and the code is still there. I'm pretty sure the issue is with the purge vent valve. I have the part in hand, the only issue is I can't locate the damn thing to replace it. I have watched a lot of youtube videos on replacing these but I have not found one for my make/model specifically. It seems like they are either under the hood or on top of the gas tank from the videos I have watched, but I can't find mine. Any help is appreciated

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
When I had this code on my 2018 2500, squirrels or rodents had chewed through the lines on top of the fuel tank. Might be something for you to check.....

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Are you sure you don’t have a leak? How long ago did you replace the gas cap? It can take several days up to a few weeks before the light will go out if the gas cap was the issue.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
A bad purge control valve usually throws the code P0443

On a 2014 Ram 5.7L , this mechanic is replacing the part

easy way to check if the Purge Control Valve is working

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
A bad purge control valve usually throws the code P0443

On a 2014 Ram 5.7L , this mechanic is replacing the part

The purge valves mounted on the intake manifold are actually a fairly common leak point. They will leak through the valve and will cause a P0456.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Looks like there are 2 different codes that the Purge Valve can throw

P0443 Dodge

P0443 is an OBD-II generic code that the engine control module (ECM) has detected a malfunction with the purge control valve or its control circuit. This could mean an open or short in the valve or circuit.

P0456 Dodge Ram

Usually this P0456 code is caused by an incorrect or faulty gas cap. Filling the fuel tank with the engine running could conceivable cause this code as well or if the cap wasn't properly tightened. ... A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses. A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve.

CD008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive had that code, it was a sensor near the filler neck that I believe is used to detect vapor going into/out of the canister???

Richard Hunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got the P0456 code. I have noticed that when the code is active, the ECO mode doesn't work. The first thing I did was tighten the gas cap. I had the code reset, coming home ECO was working. Shut the truck off, upon restart the code came back. How do you go about finding an evap leak?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
These leaks can be hard to track down. Many a component has been replaced hoping that would cure the leak. The best method is to have a shop perform a smoke test. The machines can also be had on Amazon for a little as $89 for those who like to DIY. The machines produce smoke by heating a smoke fluid and pumping the smoke into the EVAP system. Leaks are found by following the little trails of smoke from the leak.