Codes p0172 and p0131

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would say it’s federal emission if the truck is from anywhere except California. The connector would be the determining factor I would reckon.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I am no help but following as I find this very interesting :) Thanks for all the Updates :)

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
got a question how would I go about the resetting the stored fuel values in this truck 04 Ram 1500 with 4.7 I don't have scsn tool or anything to do it so is there a to way to do it

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You could try unhooking both battery cables from the battery. Once unhooked, touch both ends of the cables together and hold them like that for 30 seconds. This is a computer reset.

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Karlsweg i actually watched that same video before u sent it to me. Those guys are pretty good i watch alot of there stuff. And that is excatly what i did pulled both cables and touched them together i have also been pulling out fues 23 to the pcm in distribution block and turning the ignition to the run postion and waiting for chimes to clear codes i do not know if that is resting stored fuel values or not. i would i put close to 150 miles on it or so amd the light has yet to come back on. I took the b1s2 out cut the connector and spliced it back on to the original b1s1 that mistakenly replaced with the brand new sensor and out on b2s2. All the other times it would have come on by now. i know that dodges drive cycles are weird but i did download there procedure for completing it. Also infound a tsb i will look for it again for a computer reflash for the 4.7l and do believe it covered the 1500 just not sure what yrs it was for it throwing a p2097 thought indownloaded but i was wrong on that. When i find again i will post it for u.

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Also if i smoke the evap do i need a scan to open and close purge valves and other valves in the system or am incorrect on tht. Rado glad u joined up on this post it seems that im not being of much help to my self either. I will say it os very tough to figure this out with out a scanner to watch live data. I am currently saving money to order one tho. If u dont have one amd like to work on vehicle ur self i would order one if i were u. Doesnt have to be expensive just one u watch live data on. I have been doing this in steps like i have because once j get it figired out i want to actually know what was causing the issue so i can helo other people if it happens to theml, that is why i fix one thing

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
One thing at time ans replace only one thing at time and also because i am on very very tight budget. I will be defefently posting updates on what i do and if it fixs the issues. I will also be changing spark plugs in the next few days because it has autolights in it now. I pullesd yesterday number 1 and i was i rush so i forgot to run the part number to make sure it was a copper plug not sure they are copper so im goi g

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
One thing at time ans replace only one thing at time and also because i am on very very tight budget. I will be defefently posting updates on what i do and if it fixs the issues. I will also be changing spark plugs in the next few days because it has autolights in it now. I pullesd yesterday number 1 and i was i rush so i forgot to run the part number to make sure it was a copper plug not sure they are copper so im goi g

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I never smoked the evap system. There are several different ways to do it. From the guy with a cigar blowing smoke in the hoses to a smoke machine. But since you haven’t had a “small or large evap leak” detected by throwing a code, I think you should be fine . That’s my 2 cents worth. From what I am seeing on line, the 4.7 guys seem to like autolight 3923 plugs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Ya no evap codes only the rich codes which i am really thinking and hoping that i have got it fixed been some where around 200 miles simce moving sensors around and the light has not come on back yet. It shoukd have already completed the drive cycle by now. And i did like dodge says to do. I am also going to look for tsb again this evening when i get off

OP
OP
J

Joshua harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Karlsweg well it looks like i got her all fix and she is running beautifully. Idles great accelerates better fuel mileage is just a little bit better hopefully it'll keep coming around but man she really runs good right now. Thank you for taking the time read my post on here i was dying for some help i did want tl change the 02 sensor but wasnt really i guess i kinda just needed someone to help put my mind at ease about it and you did. I will say tho that i have learned alot more than i already did know about engines. And became alot more confident in my abilitys as a former tech. I was only a tech for a short while and i always had people that i could count on for advise or could run the issues by i didnt have that when i started to work on the vehicle this and have never work on A dodge before and was going at this with a very low budget. I came across this forum and decided to join because i felt like there were some very knowledgeable people on his website and I was correct Y'all Scared for a little while then nobody was going to chime in on my post but I'm very thankful that you did you have helped me a lot through the process of getting this fixed. I do believe that the vacuum leaks that I found the IAT sensor laying on top of the manifold the map sensor wiring and map sensor and the throttle body being dirty along with the idle air control valve all had a cause with the p2097 rich code and we're also a cause to the oxygen sensor going bad but the other issues I knew were there I can see them and hear the vacuum leaks so that is why I fix those before putting an O2 sensor in hoping that it would fix my issue they would have had to be fixed either way so I say again thank you for all your advice and your your wisdom and knowledge I'm very grateful are you taking the time to do the research that you did for me and reply back to my post if you ever have any issues feel free to ask maybe there's something I can help you with sir or anybody else this is an awesome forum and I'll be continuing to watch different things on it maybe I can help somebody out. Now it's time for me to move on to another project on the vehicle and start saving money to get these exhaust manifold fixed because that ticking is so annoying

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Glad to be o
Karlsweg well it looks like i got her all fix and she is running beautifully. Idles great accelerates better fuel mileage is just a little bit better hopefully it'll keep coming around but man she really runs good right now. Thank you for taking the time read my post on here i was dying for some help i did want tl change the 02 sensor but wasnt really i guess i kinda just needed someone to help put my mind at ease about it and you did. I will say tho that i have learned alot more than i already did know about engines. And became alot more confident in my abilitys as a former tech. I was only a tech for a short while and i always had people that i could count on for advise or could run the issues by i didnt have that when i started to work on the vehicle this and have never work on A dodge before and was going at this with a very low budget. I came across this forum and decided to join because i felt like there were some very knowledgeable people on his website and I was correct Y'all Scared for a little while then nobody was going to chime in on my post but I'm very thankful that you did you have helped me a lot through the process of getting this fixed. I do believe that the vacuum leaks that I found the IAT sensor laying on top of the manifold the map sensor wiring and map sensor and the throttle body being dirty along with the idle air control valve all had a cause with the p2097 rich code and we're also a cause to the oxygen sensor going bad but the other issues I knew were there I can see them and hear the vacuum leaks so that is why I fix those before putting an O2 sensor in hoping that it would fix my issue they would have had to be fixed either way so I say again thank you for all your advice and your your wisdom and knowledge I'm very grateful are you taking the time to do the research that you did for me and reply back to my post if you ever have any issues feel free to ask maybe there's something I can help you with sir or anybody else this is an awesome forum and I'll be continuing to watch different things on it maybe I can help somebody out. Now it's time for me to move on to another project on the vehicle and start saving money to get these exhaust manifold fixed because that ticking is so annoying

Glad to be of help. This site is great and a great bunch of guys here that help a lot when needed. Glad you are up and running.