Coding and Hacking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MauiDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Just got my 2016 1500 Limited. Don't see anything in this forum about re-coding or hacking the software to open up some of the features. On my BMW 5 Series, I did it and was able to add alot of functionality.

I know there's a couple pieces of hardware that let you add "video in motion" and keyboard entry in motion, but is there a simple software hack instead?

In addition to the above, specifically, I want my automatic folding mirrors to fold when I lock the car with the FOB, or at least when the car shuts off.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
You're options:

- CustomTronix RAx jailbreak
Software based and enables up to 3 cameras/inputs and ViM/Nav unlock.

- Lockpick Air V2
Hardware based. Plugs in b/w radio and harness. Up to 5 cameras/video inputs (2 are turn signal cameras), Also has built in WiFi Casting to enable mirroring on the radio.

Not sure if there is a setting in the 8.4 radio for the folding mirrors or not, but if there is, that's where you will find it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I wish every car was like my E92. You can adjust, change, adapt nearly anything you want in those cars. VW's have a similar program. I had an old windows tablet that I was able to do everything including the transmission tunes on it.

If someone comes up with a way on the Ram Id be in heaven.

melo1991

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You need the dealer ship to add the sales codes to activate this functions

14Ramcc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
You're options:

- CustomTronix RAx jailbreak
Software based and enables up to 3 cameras/inputs and ViM/Nav unlock.

- Lockpick Air V2
Hardware based. Plugs in b/w radio and harness. Up to 5 cameras/video inputs (2 are turn signal cameras), Also has built in WiFi Casting to enable mirroring on the radio.

Not sure if there is a setting in the 8.4 radio for the folding mirrors or not, but if there is, that's where you will find it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I have the CustomTronix and it works great. Did add a front camera too so there was some hardware involved.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The auto folding mirrors isn't an option on any of the trucks, so it's not something you could turn on even if you had access to the BCM.

Your options would be either a hardwired solution or one that monitored the CAN bus and simulated a press of the fold button when you lock the doors. Unfortunately neither exist completely (yet), but I'll hopefully change that once I can mess around with a truck that has folding mirrors and I have some free time.

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a power folding mod .... I know of 2 guys on the forum that have done it.... I love mine! One of my favorite mods to my truck

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What kind of mod is it? I have the button on my door, but how much more convenience could it be having it elsewhere?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added them to my 16 Express.... got a great deal on a pair of Sport Mirriors.... ran a line from the battery to a fuse box I put under my drivers seat.... then essentially just ran positive and negative wires, from the doors to the 2 reverse polarity switchs Ricks Ram made for me...... some splicing involved, hardest part was getting the wires into the drivers side door.... took it to a stereo shop, they ran the wires into that door, and mounted the switches.. cost me $47 , well worth it. ... all in all wasn't to hard, Rick did walk me through everything, which was huge help. The folding part isn't auto, it's a simple press of a switch...but what I like is being able to fold each mirror independently. ..big help in tight spaces... like my little condo garage.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could easily make the mirrors automatic with an after market alarm... have them fold in and out with lock and unlock respectively. I suppose you could technically do it with a relay off the ACC wire as well.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need the dealer ship to add the sales codes to activate this functions
I know this is an old post, but... AlfaOBD, or a few other options exist (now) for adding/adjusting options on the RAM. And Probably did back in 2016 as well... Considering FCA didn't add the "security" until '18...